Subject: Some small bugs?

From: Charles Lindsey <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 28 Jan 2000 11:05:09 +0000 (GMT)

Just been looking at what can follow a colon in a field-name, and found a few 
surprises. Surely one expects at least a single SP to be allowed, if not more 
(news insists on that SP, but that is a separate discussion).

If seems that the following are not allowed by the syntax:

From: Joe Doe <[email-masked]>

Keywords: foobar

I think a [CFWS] is needed in front of a display-name, and in a keywords. Or 
else you allow it at the start of any phrase.

Also, now comments are outlawed from a date-time (except at the end) you cannot 
write

Date: (a comment) Wed, 26 Jan 2000 21:58:00 -0600 (another comment)

I am not over concerned about that one (and I certainly don't want comments 
_inside_ a date-time), but is that what was intended?

Charles H. Lindsey ---------At Home, doing my own thing------------------------
Email:     [email-masked]  Web:   http://www.cs.man.ac.uk/~chl
Voice/Fax: +44 161 437 4506      Snail: 5 Clerewood Ave, CHEADLE, SK8 3JU, U.K.
PGP: 2C15F1A9     Fingerprint: 73 6D C2 51 93 A0 01 E7  65 E8 64 7E 14 A4 AB A5

---

From: Pete Resnick <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 28 Jan 2000 10:38:24 -0600

>else you allow it at the start of any phrase.

A display-name, like the contents of the Keywords field, is a phrase. 
A phrase is one or more words. A word is an atom or a quoted-string. 
Both atom and quoted-string start with optional CFWS. All perfectly 
legal.

>_inside_ a date-time), but is that what was intended?

Yes.

pr
-- 
Pete Resnick <mailto:[email-masked]>
Eudora Engineering - QUALCOMM Incorporated
Ph: (217)337-6377 or (858)651-4478, Fax: (858)651-1102

---

From: Keith Moore <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 28 Jan 2000 15:38:27 -0500

> Also, now comments are outlawed from a date-time (except at the end) 
> you cannot write 

we should at least allow the comment at the end.

Keith