Subject: Re: client requests ending \012

From: DRUMS WG Chair <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 26 Jul 2000 22:01:45 -0700

This debate closed on the grounds it is a rathole.

There appears to be some dissatisfaction with the text in draft 12 on this 
topic, so parties interested in changing that text should follow the 
procedures documented in the message "Procedures for Moving Forward".

In addition, this WG clearly lacks rough concensus on the phrase "be 
liberal in what you accept", and thus that phrase will not be treated as an 
axiom.

		- DRUMS WG Chair

---

From: "D. J. Bernstein" <[email-masked]>
Date: 27 Jul 2000 19:42:55 -0000

> This debate closed on the grounds it is a rathole.

No, it isn't. The situation here is very simple: 

   * This requirement on servers does not appear in the base documents.
   * Most SMTP servers on the Internet do not obey the requirement.
   * There is obviously not consensus to add the requirement.

The requirement must be removed from smtpupd. You have no choice. If you
think you can close the debate and keep the requirement, you're wrong.

---Dan