Subject: Antwort: Re: Message munging?

From: <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 14 Jul 2000 16:01:32 +0200

It is some time ago, that I have read RFC 821, but the data transfer mechanism
specifies, that
the 'message received OK' response (in reality it has a different name and some
number
code), may only be send by the receiving side, when it has successfully recieved
the whole
message.

Due to the store and forward nature of the SMTP protocol, data (messages) can
only get lost,
unrecognized by the ultimate message sink/source, on intermediate mailers
(MTAs), that crash
and loose data.

Bernhard Garmann

Dave Sill <[email-masked]> am 14.07.2000 15:34:04

An:   [email-masked]
Kopie:     (Blindkopie: Bernhard Garmann/EXTERN/VIAGInterkom)

Thema:    Re: Message munging?

Philip Hazel <[email-masked]> wrote:
>
>The RFCs are all about interworking, that is, how to transfer a message
>over the Internet. They don't say anything about what an MTA may or may
>not do in the privacy of its own host.

I understand that 821 only covers message transfer between hosts, and
that hosts can do what they want once the message is received, but
does it not provide any guarantee that a message leaving one host
bears a resemblence to the message received by another? So if
Microsoft Exchange replaced all occurrences of the string "Winblows"
with "Windows"--even for messages it's only relaying--that wouldn't
violate any RFC's? Strange.

Outside of the question of RFC-legality, what do people think of AOL's
Subject rewriting ("<" replaced with "<.") as a solution to their
problem?

-Dave