Subject: RE: client requests ending \012

From: Paul Hoffman / IMC <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 25 Jul 2000 18:20:11 -0700

At 2:39 PM -0700 7/25/00, Larry Osterman wrote:
>Even if 821bis has a MUST that CRLF is the line terminator (and not 
>just LF), this only means that a server MUST treat CRLF as a line 
>terminator, and that a conforming client MUST generate only CRLF 
>characters.

The actual text from 2.3.7 reads:

    Conforming
    implementations MUST NOT recognize or generate any other character or
    character sequence as a line terminator.

"MUST NOT recognize" is what is being discussed here.

--Paul Hoffman, Director
--Internet Mail Consortium

---

From: Philip Hazel <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 26 Jul 2000 09:35:37 +0100 (BST)

> "MUST NOT recognize" is what is being discussed here.

Quite. This seems to be a tightening up of the "be liberal in what you 
accept" philosophy. On the one hand, I would like to see this, but on 
the other hand, I don't believe you can achieve it, because it would 
require vast numbers of deployed MTAs to change more or less
simultaneously. The genie is out of the bottle, as I keep saying.

-- 
Philip Hazel            University of Cambridge Computing Service,
[email-masked]      Cambridge, England. Phone: +44 1223 334714.