Subject: [Fwd: USH handbook draft - comments]

From: Eric Luiijf <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 23 Sep 1998 09:40:14 +0200

--
-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-

Eric Luiijf                              TNO Physics and Electronics
Laboratory
Telematics and Information Security      P.O. Box 96864, 2509 JG The
Hague
Webmaster http://www.tno.nl/instit/fel   The Netherlands
                                         Phone: +31 70 3740312
Email: [email-masked]                 Fax:   +31 70 3740653

Subject: USH handbook draft - comments
From: Eric Luiijf <[email-masked]>
To: [email-masked], [email-masked]
Date: Mon, 21 Sep 1998 11:58:38 +0200

Dear Lorna and Erik,

One again I have gone through the draft USH as well as through
Erik's proposed changes. I agree with other's that the USH is
almost complete. There are, however, a number of issues
to be resolved to complete the USH, see my comments below:

1. The index is not up-to-date and contains section
   titles that differ from the 'real ones'.
2. In the introduction, the text speaks of the
   "the first part" as well as the "second" part.
   This is confusing as the Introduction is "Part 1".
   Actually, the "first part" points at "part 2",
   the "second part" at "part 3".
   I suggest to remove the "Part 1" and renumber
   Part 2 into 1, 3 into 2.
3. READ.ME, first line:
     to the Internet (add) "or any other network
     using Internet technology"
    Rationale: the USH should not restrict its 'best practice' for
    the Internet environment only.
4. Part two:
     Keep password secret;  (add) "at any time"
     to stress the importance of this
5. Par 3.2: ...execute programs on your behalf, (add) "both
     automatically and after manual intervention."
   Rationale: the user should be aware of the automatic thing.

   Last line (add): " Note however, that the strength of
   the encryption mechanism might be dependent on the
   version one use due to legal import and/or
   export restriction."
     (ref: 40 bits encryption export control by the US)
6. Par 3.9:  "forbid" => "forbid or restrict"  is more precise
    as some countries allow e.g. >= 40 bits encryption when
   a  license is given.
7. Par 5: .. to this decision. (add) "Review risks at regular
   intervals as well as need arises to do so.".

   "machine" => "system"

   "You take" => "You unavoidably take"
8. Par 6: "In many cases.."  is too blunt.
   "When you do not know who your security POC, you should
    try to call .....
9. Par 6.1:
   From a blue sky, when reading the bullet items, the
   virus topic pops up and is discussed in great detail.
   Better is to put this in a separate section with a proper
   introduction.

   "of the origin"  even when you know the origin, this
   is not always safe... (know who made you ill does not
   help, better do not have a relationship...)
   I suggest: "of the trusted origin".

   "computer" => "system" (2*)

   Virus item 2:   (add) "Install updates regularly and keep watch
   for new types of virii threats."
   Rationale: pop-up of BIOS virus and the travelling WORD <=> Excel
    macro virus types)

   The numbered list about virii has three items to "avoid
   problems" (line introducing the start of the list).
   The next paragraph, however, says "the best way to avoid
   problems"....  This is inconsistent and confusing!
   The paragraph that follows is an additional item.

   A little clean-up is required here.

10.Appendix
   Auditing Tool
   Mentioning "SATAN" causes this issue to be too much UNIX
   only. One should mention tools for Windows/NT as well
   and probably point to e.g. the COAST list for various
   tools.

   Compound documents
    "is a file used by application software to save user
    information" .. this is a very confusing definition.
   First of all, the document might be hardware recorded
   measurement data (no application software..), secondly
   the user might not be the owner, thirdly the information
   might have been saved very long ago: "to save" is the wrong
   wording.

   "A document is a file containing a set of data (that is
    regarded as an information object)".
   "A compound document is a file consisting of multiple parts.
    A part might be: empty, a document, an encrypted document,
    a digitally signed document or a compressed document.
    Processing these parts might require
    a variety of programs....."

    One-Time Password (add)  "(OTP)"

    Terminal
      this definition is a little outdated and confusing.
    Most hardware terminals have been replaced by PC's offering
    "Terminal" window (access). Thus, a smart(er) interface
    or device. Question: is this definition really required?

    Virus
      [which are shared] .. that is the ultimate wish of the
    virus constructor. The definition should also hold in one
    "system".
    [which are shared] => may be shared

    Key escrow... "third parties"... Note that the third
    party might one's organisation itself. The third party
    is then the 'third party' to the information exchange
    between individuals/org. parts!

(add)
   ActiveX:  Microsoft's system that allows webpages to
   run application (active) code from a websource on the
   client system, bypassing various controls.

   Email bombs
   A denial-of-service attach caused by too many Emails
   being received by a site. The server runs out of resources.

   Cookies
   Cookies register information about a visit to a web site
   for future use by the server side. The server might receive
   information of cookies at other sites as well, causing a
   breach of privacy.

   Security Policy
   A security policy is written by organisations to
   address security issues in the form of "do's" and "don'ts"
   for their users with respect to physical security,
   data security, information security and content.
   E.g. sites that have a sex content should not be visited
   and when downloading software, copyrights are to be honored.

Add appropriate credits....

Regards, Eric
--
-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-

Eric Luiijf                              TNO Physics and Electronics
Laboratory
Telematics and Information Security      P.O. Box 96864, 2509 JG The
Hague
Webmaster http://www.tno.nl/instit/fel   The Netherlands
                                         Phone: +31 70 3740312
Email: [email-masked]                 Fax:   +31 70 3740653