Subject: [16NG] distributed (decentralised) ASN for voip over wimax

From: Frits Haas <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 29 Jul 2008 09:07:02 +0200

Hi All,
I hope someone can answer a question I have that some of the top vendors
such as Motorola, Huawei and Nokia Siemens are battling to give me a
straight answer to.

We are in the process of rolling out a 2.5 wimax network, designed purely
around offering VOIP.

With the current ASN/AAA architecture, all traffic is aggregated at the CORE
ASN, which means everything needs to be backhauled to the central ASN. This
poses an extremely difficult scenario for us, as transmission costs are very
high in the countries that we would like to launch our network (mostly
Africa).

One solution would be a kind of distributed ASN architecture, to minimise
backhaul traffic.
Better yet, each BTS is able to route or switch voip packets to its
destination, alleviating the need to backhaul the entire voice stream.
Granted, you still need the AAA to authenticate, and the billing system
needs to be aware of the call, but that traffic is minimal.

The question is, is anyone (vendor or otherwise) looking into designing or
creating such a model with their equipment, and if so, what would the
different solutions entail?
My theory is that a simple router at each BTS (Base station) would be able
to solve the problem. 

Your questions and comments most welcome.

kind regards,
:) Frits
Frits Haas
Senior Manager: Core IP Network Architecture
Mobile: +27 (0) 83 280 8284 or +27 (0) 82 784 3248
Fax: +27 (0) 8663 20 620
Email and MSN : [email-masked]
Disclaimer  http://www.smilecoms.com/disclaimer

_______________________________________________
16NG mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/16ng

---

From: Basavaraj Patil <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 29 Jul 2008 03:36:31 -0500

Hi Frits,

Don't know if this discussion on the 16NG list even makes sense. Anyway,
your question is about network planning and the topology of your network.
You could deploy a network that does not require all traffic to be
backhauled to a centralized CSN HA/core router.

You would likely get more feedback to your question about network
architecture and support for VoIP in the WiMAX forum's Network Working
group.  

-Raj

---

From: "Jai-Jin Lim" <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 30 Jul 2008 00:11:17 +0900

Hi Frits,

As mentioned below, WiMAX Forum is dedicated to discuss such things. For
your information, WiMAX has defined two ASN models, known as Profile B and
Profile C. The Profile B architecture meets your needs since supporting
Profile B means the base station router. However, there are pros and cons
for Profile B or Profile C. If you look at another competing technology
called LTE, its architecture is similar to Profile C. I think there are good
reasons and old practices why Profile C architecture is preferred especially
for the mobile wireless network.

--Jai-Jin