Subject: [3gv6] IPv4 depletion just happened

From: "Ahmed Abu-Abed" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 1 Feb 2011 12:26:16 +0200

Hello everyone,

IPv4 depletion at the top registry level just happened but this mail list has been very quiet. 

Is there any interest on this mail list for discussing implementing IPv6 over existing 3G & upcoming LTE networks ? 

-Ahmed

---

From: Hui Deng <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 2 Feb 2011 10:37:18 +0800

please go ahead if any implemention needed and could benefit for mobile
network.

regards,

-Hui

2011/2/1 Ahmed Abu-Abed <[email-masked]>

> Is there any interest on this mail list for discussing implementing IPv6
> over existing 3G & upcoming LTE networks ?
>
> -Ahmed
>
>
> _______________________________________________
> 3gv6 mailing list
> [email-masked]
> https://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/3gv6
>
>

---

From: Scott W Brim <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 1 Feb 2011 22:01:23 -0500

In case you hadn't heard, the GSMS has produced the first of two white
papers on v4/v6 transition and coexistence, focusing mainly but not
exclusively on interoperability.  This first paper is for end-to-end user
plane traffic.  It is now in the hands of their "interworking and roaming
experts" group, who will flesh out the details, produce the equivalent of a
handbook, etc.  The second paper will be on the transport plane and local
breakout. They will be working on that one through the Spring.

I am concerned about duplication of effort and confusion of results.  Could
you possibly work within GSMA?  They are the worldwide body that coordinates
operational issues for almost all mobile operators.  If independent groups
produce conflicting recommendations, they are the ones who will have to
resolve the conflicts in any case.

The next face-to-face meeting is in Shanghai, the same week as the IETF.

Scott

[Sent from my mobile.]

---

From: Cameron Byrne <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 1 Feb 2011 19:10:27 -0800

> resolve the conflicts in any case.

I agree that they are the right party to do this standards work.

But, the issue is, I am rolling out IPv6 now, as are many other mobile
operators.

>From the original poster "Is there any interest on this mail list for
discussing implementing IPv6 over existing 3G & upcoming LTE networks
?"  There was no mention of standards work or confusion of roles
within the industry.

I believe the answer is yes, there is interest on this topic.  I am
unaware of the GSMAs ability to deliver.

Cameron

---

From: "Ahmed Abu-Abed" <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 2 Feb 2011 11:35:39 +0200

Please provide a link to the papers, it will be good to know what is the planned transition architecture.

Keep in mind many RIRs will likely run out of 'big' blocks of IPv4 within 6 to 9 months, around October 2011. After that one, and only one, assignment of 1024 addresses (ie /22 of IPv4) will be made to each operator from the RIR's last /8, which is hardly enough to sustain growth if you have a large subscriber base. I think RIPE and APNIC are following this policy.

Practically, the implications are more nested NATing, which may break a few things, or getting out of public IPv4 completely and assigning only public IPv6 addresses to subscribers via NAT64/DNS64, or some form of DS-Lite v4-in-v6 tunneling. Will any of these schemes be ready for field implementation operators by Q3 2011 ?

-Ahmed

From: Scott W Brim 
Sent: Wednesday, February 02, 2011 5:01 AM
To: Hui Deng 
Cc: Ahmed Abu-Abed ; [email-masked] 
Subject: Re: [3gv6] IPv4 depletion just happened

In case you hadn't heard, the GSMS has produced the first of two white papers on v4/v6 transition and coexistence, focusing mainly but not exclusively on interoperability.  This first paper is for end-to-end user plane traffic.  It is now in the hands of their "interworking and roaming experts" group, who will flesh out the details, produce the equivalent of a handbook, etc.  The second paper will be on the transport plane and local breakout. They will be working on that one through the Spring.

I am concerned about duplication of effort and confusion of results.  Could you possibly work within GSMA?  They are the worldwide body that coordinates operational issues for almost all mobile operators.  If independent groups produce conflicting recommendations, they are the ones who will have to resolve the conflicts in any case.

Scott

[Sent from my mobile.]

---

From: [email-masked]
Date: Wed, 2 Feb 2011 11:47:40 +0200

From:   "Ahmed Abu-Abed" <[email-masked]>
To:     "Scott W Brim" <[email-masked]>
Cc:     [email-masked]
Date:   02-02-11 11:36
Subject:        Re: [3gv6] IPv4 depletion just happened
Sent by:        [email-masked]

Please provide a link to the papers, it will be good to  know what is the 
planned transition architecture.
 
Keep in mind many RIRs will likely run out of 'big'  blocks of IPv4 within 
6 to 9 months, around October 2011. After that one, and  only one, 
assignment of 1024 addresses (ie /22 of IPv4) will be made to each 
operator from the RIR's last /8, which is hardly enough to sustain growth 
if you  have a large subscriber base. I think RIPE and APNIC are following 
this  policy.

///yes, we are well aware...
 
Practically, the implications are more nested NATing,  which may break a 
few things, or getting out of public IPv4 completely and  assigning only 
public IPv6 addresses to subscribers via NAT64/DNS64, or some  form of 
DS-Lite v4-in-v6 tunneling. Will any of these schemes be  ready for 
field implementation operators by Q3 2011 ?

///some of the above has been already implemented in the field in more 
than 1 mobile operators network. The most painful thing today is the 
readiness of customer equipment. It is mostly not available (besides the 1 
well know vendor). When this one is in place, the service can be provided 
fairly quick using some of the solutions you have mentioned. Though, 
obviously some compromises will have to be made. There are also some areas 
in the mobile deployments that are very shallow today, such as IPv6 in the 
roaming scenarios.

Roman

From: Scott W Brim 

In case you hadn't heard, the GSMS has produced the first of two white 
papers  on v4/v6 transition and coexistence, focusing mainly but not 
exclusively on  interoperability.  This first paper is for end-to-end user 
plane  traffic.  It is now in the hands of their "interworking and roaming 
 experts" group, who will flesh out the details, produce the equivalent of 
a  handbook, etc.  The second paper will be on the transport plane and 
local  breakout. They will be working on that one through the Spring.

I am concerned about duplication of effort and confusion of results.  
Could you possibly work within GSMA?  They are the worldwide body that 
coordinates operational issues for almost all mobile operators.  If 
independent groups produce conflicting recommendations, they are the ones 
who  will have to resolve the conflicts in any case.

Scott

[Sent from my mobile.]
On Feb 1, 2011 9:37 PM, "Hui Deng" <[email-masked]> wrote:
>> IPv4 depletion at the top registry level  just happened but this mail 
list
>> has been very  quiet.