Subject: [67ATTENDEES] Re: IETF67 network

From: Dow Street <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 15 Nov 2006 08:26:15 -0800

Wieslaw,

I'm really not sure - I was thinking there may be a way to look  
through the logs and ID certain types of devices by NIC manufacturer,  
DHCP behavior, or something else.  Is there a set of logs underlying  
the data presented in the NOC report?  Alternatively, I suppose we  
could just run a basic poll and ask people.

Please understand, this is just something I'm curious about after  
seeing (what appeared to be) a high number of Mac users - this is not  
any sort of "official request" or anything, but I bet others would be  
interested as well.

R,
Dow

On Nov 14, 2006, at 6:28 PM, Blysz, Wieslaw wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I might be able to check it.
>
> Do you have an idea how to get such data?
>
> regards,
>
> Wieslaw
>
> -----Original Message-----
> From: Dow Street [mailto:[email-masked]]
> Sent: Wednesday, November 15, 2006 1:14 AM
> To: Blysz, Wieslaw
> Subject: IETF67 network
>
> Wieslaw,
>
> Thanks for the IETF67 NOC report.  I was wondering if you had any
> data we could use to extrapolate the number of users of various
> operating systems?  By the way, the network was very good (stable)
> compared to some previous IETF meetings.
>
> Thanks,
> Dow

_______________________________________________
67ATTENDEES mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/67attendees

---

From: Bill Fenner <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 15 Nov 2006 11:12:07 -0800

The noc box just came back up (Thanks, Joel!) so I ran a quick database
query for MAC addresses - unfortunately the vendor names are somewhat
arbitrary (taken directly from IEEE's "oui.txt") so you get to add up the
duplicate entries.  Of course, there's no way to tell whether an "Intel
Corporate" MAC address represents Windows, FreeBSD, Linux, BeOS or
Plan 9...

In theory these represent all the MAC addresses seen on the IETF67
network, except for any infrastructure devices.

  Bill

                       company                        | num 
------------------------------------------------------+-----
 Intel Corporate                                      | 351
 Apple Computer                                       | 234
 Intel Corporation                                    | 202
 Intel Corp                                           | 115
 Ambit Microsystems Corporation                       |  86
 IBM Corporation                                      |  65
 Philips Components                                   |  53
 Hewlett Packard                                      |  53
 Nokia Danmark A/S                                    |  48
 GemTek Technology Co., Ltd.                          |  46
 Hon Hai Precision Ind. Co., Ltd.                     |  42
 Apple Computer, Inc.                                 |  39
 Apple Computer Inc.                                  |  36
 ASKEY COMPUTER CORP.                                 |  33
 Dell Inc                                             |  29
 Matsushita Electric Industrial Co.,Ltd.              |  27
 Agere Systems                                        |  26
 Gemtek Technology Co., Ltd.                          |  25
 Cisco Systems                                        |  21
 Wistron Neweb Corp.                                  |  19
 Wistron Corp.                                        |  19
 Sony Corporation                                     |  17
 High Tech Computer, Corp.                            |  17
 USI                                                  |  16
 SOLOMON EXTREME INTERNATIONAL LTD.                   |  16
 Compaq Computer Corporation                          |  16
 D-Link Corporation                                   |  15
 Toshiba                                              |  15
 Portable Systems, IBM Japan Co, Ltd                  |  14
 Netgear Inc.                                         |  14
 Senao International Co., Ltd.                        |  12
 FUJITSU LIMITED                                      |  12
 VIA TECHNOLOGIES, INC.                               |  11
 Cisco                                                |  11
 Cisco Systems, Inc.                                  |  11
 ASUSTek COMPUTER INC.                                |  10
 ALPS ELECTRIC Co., Ltd.                              |  10
 Compaq (HP)                                          |  10
 DELL INC.                                            |  10
 Dell PCBA Test                                       |  10
 Dell Inc.                                            |  10
 LUCENT TECHNOLOGIES                                  |   9
 WW PCBA Test                                         |   9
 Sychip Inc.                                          |   8
 The Linksys Group, Inc.                              |   8
 AMBIT MICROSYSTEMS CORP.                             |   8
 Cisco-Linksys LLC                                    |   8
 Cisco-Linksys, LLC                                   |   8
 Cisco-Linksys                                        |   7
 FORTE NETWORKS                                       |   7
 PROXIM, INC.                                         |   7
 FOXCONN                                              |   7
 APPLE COMPUTER, INC.                                 |   6
 SAMSUNG ELECTRONICS CO., LTD.                        |   6
 G-PRO COMPUTER                                       |   6
 SONY CORPORATION LTD.                                |   5
 Actiontec Electronics, Inc.                          |   5
 Dell Computer Corp.                                  |   5
 VMware, Inc.                                         |   5
 Uniwill Computer Corp.                               |   5
 FUJITSU, LTD                                         |   5
 3COM EUROPE LTD                                      |   5
 LG ELECTRONICS, INC.                                 |   5
 Quanta Computer Inc.                                 |   4
 ACER TECHNOLOGIES CORP.                              |   4
 NETGEAR Inc                                          |   4
 Netgear, Inc.                                        |   4
 Compal Electronics,INC.                              |   4
 Xircom                                               |   4
 Buffalo Inc.                                         |   4
 NEC CustomTechnica, Ltd.                             |   3
 TOSHIBA CORPORATION                                  |   3
 UniData Communication Systems, Inc.                  |   3
 Compal Communications, Inc.                          |   3
 Enterasys Networks                                   |   3
 Sony Ericsson Mobile Communications AB               |   3
 UTStarcom, Inc.                                      |   3
 Melco Inc.                                           |   3
 CABLETRON - YAGO SYSTEMS, INC.                       |   3
 ZyXEL Communications Corporation                     |   3
 Cisco Systems Inc.                                   |   2
 ASUSTEK COMPUTER INC.                                |   2
 Newisys,Inc.                                         |   2
 Shenzhen Tp-Link Technology Co; Ltd.                 |   2
 CISCO SYSTEMS, INC.                                  |   2
 MATSUSHITA ELECTRIC IND. CO                          |   2
 3 Com Corporation                                    |   2
 XIRCOM                                               |   2
 Supermicro Computer, Inc.                            |   2
 Dell ESG PCBA Test                                   |   2
 AmbiCom, Inc.                                        |   2
 Hewlett-Packard Company                              |   2
 Belkin Corporation                                   |   2
 3COM CORPORATION                                     |   2
 BELKIN COMPONENTS                                    |   2
 3Com Europe Ltd                                      |   2
 Samsung Electro-Mechanics Co., Ltd.                  |   2
 AboCom                                               |   2
 XEROX CORPORATION                                    |   1
 D-LINK SYSTEMS, INC.                                 |   1
 CAMEO COMMUNICATIONS, INC.                           |   1
 Samsung Electronics CO., LTD                         |   1
 ANI COMMUNICATIONS INC.                              |   1
 Grandstream Networks, Inc.                           |   1
 Nortel Networks                                      |   1
 EPIGRAM, INC.                                        |   1
 Micro-Star International                             |   1
 BILLIONTON SYSTEMS, INC.                             |   1
 CC&C Technologies, Inc.                              |   1
 NEC Access Technica,Ltd                              |   1
 SMC Networks, Inc.                                   |   1
 Nokia GmbH                                           |   1
 Wistron Corporation                                  |   1
 Fujitsu Siemens Computers                            |   1
 HEWLETT-PACKARD CO.                                  |   1
 NEC CORPORATION                                      |   1
 DELTA NETWORKS, INC.                                 |   1
 Microsoft Corporation                                |   1
 I-O DATA DEVICE, INC.                                |   1
 GVC CORPORATION                                      |   1
 SHARP CORPORATION                                    |   1
 Clarion (M) Sdn Bhd                                  |   1
 Nintendo Co., Ltd.                                   |   1
 MITAC INTERNATIONAL CORP.                            |   1
 Nokia Corporation                                    |   1
 EDIMAX TECHNOLOGY CO., LTD.                          |   1
 edgeflow Canada Inc.                                 |   1
 MEGAHERTZ CORPORATION                                |   1
 AboCom Systems, Inc.                                 |   1
 Vtech Innovation LP dba Advanced American Telephones |   1
 SHURE INCORPORATED                                   |   1
 Global Sun Technology, Inc.                          |   1
 Cisco  Systems                                       |   1

---

From: John C Klensin <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 15 Nov 2006 18:42:33 -0500

--On Wednesday, 15 November, 2006 11:12 -0800 Bill Fenner
<[email-masked]> wrote:

> The noc box just came back up (Thanks, Joel!) so I ran a quick
> database query for MAC addresses - unfortunately the vendor
> names are somewhat arbitrary (taken directly from IEEE's
> "oui.txt") so you get to add up the duplicate entries.  Of
> course, there's no way to tell whether an "Intel Corporate"
> MAC address represents Windows, FreeBSD, Linux, BeOS or Plan
> 9...

Bill,

I suspect it tells us even less than that.  I've been told
repeatedly that a huge percentage of the basic Wireless LAN
chipsets (802.11 A, B/G, pre-N, mixtures thereof and even WiMax)
come out of a very small number of companies, almost all of them
headquarted in, or operating out of, the same country, and
selling them on an OEM basis.  Whether the MAC address in a
given NIC reflects the assignment pool of the
manufacturer-packager-vendor or that of the original
manufacturer is presumably a matter of commercial negotiation;
the decision may tell us more about marketing and branding than
about chipset origins, much less the type of computer or
operating system with which the chipset is being used.

    john