Subject: [67ATTENDEES] unknown device in room connected to network

From: Michael Richardson <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 06 Nov 2006 11:01:04 -0800

I found another device plugged into my DSL modem in the room.

(I wish that they hotel would let us take over their room network...
their network was too slow to load their click through page, and their
server was generally speaking too overloaded often to answer even TCP
SYNs)

I followed the wire, and found:
	   http://www.sandelman.ca/tmp/img_3052.jpg
	   http://www.sandelman.ca/tmp/img_3053.jpg

under desk. Derek Atkins had the same thing. Only mind plugs into to:
	   http://www.sandelman.ca/tmp/img_3051.jpg

via a connector and an RJ11 coupler. The device was on the right hand
side of the desk. As I followed the cable towards the TV, I thought... "IPTV?"
no. Device looks like a small relay.  Maybe it's a sensor.
Maybe a microphone. It would have a view of one bed. I left my sweater
over it last night.

Today, I think I'll disconnect it and see what happens.

- -- 
]            Bear: "Me, I'm just the shape of a bear."          |  firewalls  [
]   Michael Richardson,    Xelerance Corporation, Ottawa, ON    |net architect[
] [email-masked]      http://www.sandelman.ottawa.on.ca/mcr/ |device driver[
] panic("Just another Debian GNU/Linux using, kernel hacking, security guy"); [

_______________________________________________
67ATTENDEES mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/67attendees

---

From: "Steven M. Bellovin" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 7 Nov 2006 10:31:00 -0500

Ah -- see
http://www.cisco.com/warp/public/cc/pd/si/casi/ps5213/prodlit/swood_cs.pdf
(from a company familiar to all of us), and mentioning the Starwood chain.

---

From: "Steven M. Bellovin" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 7 Nov 2006 10:28:58 -0500

On Mon, 06 Nov 2006 11:01:04 -0800, Michael Richardson
<[email-masked]> wrote:

> -----BEGIN PGP SIGNED MESSAGE-----
> Hash: SHA1
> 
> 
I recall having this discussion before at another conference -- possibly
the IETF, last time it was here. 

The consensus at the time was that the devices were part of room
environmental monitoring, including occupancy sensors (why heat or cool a
room, beyond certain limits, if there's no one there?).  Note also a
device near the top of the door frame.

		--Steven M. Bellovin, http://www.cs.columbia.edu/~smb

---

From: "GOLDMAN, STUART O \(STUART\)" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 7 Nov 2006 09:53:31 -0600

And there is also a device at the top of the sliding door frame if you
have a balcony.

Stuart Goldman
Lucent Technologies
[email-masked]
602 493 8438

-----Original Message-----
From: Steven M. Bellovin [mailto:[email-masked]] 
Sent: Tuesday, November 07, 2006 8:29 AM
To: Michael Richardson
Cc: [email-masked]
Subject: Re: [67ATTENDEES] unknown device in room connected to network

The consensus at the time was that the devices were part of room
environmental monitoring, including occupancy sensors (why heat or cool
a
room, beyond certain limits, if there's no one there?).  Note also a
device near the top of the door frame.

---

From: "Steven M. Bellovin" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 7 Nov 2006 11:56:19 -0500

> And there is also a device at the top of the sliding door frame if you
Right -- mine is hooked to a magnetic switch, so it's very clearly a "door
open" sensor.

---

From: Doug Hantula <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 7 Nov 2006 09:31:20 -0800

I "discovered" Sunday night that it is connected to the HVAC. The  
[apparent] thermostat unit in my first room had a LCD display word of  
"balcony" and the controls were non-functional. The balcony door was  
closed and bolted, and the room temp had risen to 75F and was  
increasing. I was moved to a new room with an apology.

Doug

On Nov 7, 2006, at 7:53 AM, GOLDMAN, STUART O ((STUART)) wrote:

>> side of the desk. As I followed the cable towards the TV, I  
>> thought...
> "IPTV?"

---

From: Michael Richardson <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 07 Nov 2006 11:09:46 -0800

>>>>> "Doug" == Doug Hantula <[email-masked]> writes:
    Doug> I "discovered" Sunday night that it is connected to the
    Doug> HVAC. The [apparent] thermostat unit in my first room had a
    Doug> LCD display word of "balcony" and the controls were

  Uhm, but not connected to your DSL modem on the desk, and IP addressable?

- --

---

From: Michael Richardson <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 07 Nov 2006 11:09:46 -0800

- --

---

From: Michael Richardson <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 07 Nov 2006 10:36:09 -0800

>>>>> "Steven" == Steven M Bellovin <[email-masked]> writes:
    Steven> On Tue, 7 Nov 2006 09:53:31 -0600, "GOLDMAN, STUART O
    Steven> \(STUART\)" <[email-masked]> wrote:

    >> And there is also a device at the top of the sliding door frame
    >> if you have a balcony.
    >> 
    Steven> Right -- mine is hooked to a magnetic switch, so it's very
    Steven> clearly a "door open" sensor.

  I have a sliding door, but I didn't see any wires leading to it.

- --

---

From: Paul Aitken <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 08 Nov 2006 00:21:18 +0000

Michael

>   I have a sliding door, but I didn't see any wires leading to it.

Ah, it's a wireless connection!

BTW, it works by infrared.

-- 
Paul Aitken
Cisco Systems Ltd, Edinburgh, Scotland.