Subject: [6lo] Charter-04 proposal

From: Ulrich Herberg <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 8 Oct 2013 09:16:11 -0700

Hi,

below is an updated version of the charter based on the discussions on
the list. Note that Brian needs the charter updates by today COB in
order to have it ready for the next IESG telechat (or otherwise it
would be delayed).

charter
====================
6lo focuses on Internet Area work that is needed for constrained node
networks with the characteristics of:
* limited power, memory and processing resources
* hard upper bounds on state, code space and processing cycles
* optimization of energy and network bandwidth usage
* lack of some layer 2 services like complete device connectivity and
  broadcast/multicast

Specifically, 6lo will work on:

1. IPv6-over-foo adaptation layer specifications using 6LoWPAN technologies
(RFC4944, RFC6282, RFC6775) for link layer technologies of interest in
constrained node networks

================
OLD
2. Related MIB modules

NEW
2. Information and data models (e.g., MIB modules) for these
adaptation layers for basic monitoring and troubleshooting.
================

3. Specifications, such as header compression, that are applicable to more
than one adaptation layer specification

4. Maintenance and informational documents required for the existing
IETF specifications in this space.

Only specifications targeting constrained node networks are in scope.
6lo will work closely with the 6man working group, which will continue
to work on IP-over-foo documents outside the constrained node network
space and will continue to be the focal point for IPv6 maintenance.
================
OLD
For adaptation layer specifications that do not have implications on
IPv6 architecture, 6man will be notified about 6lo's working group
last call. Specifications that might have such an impact (e.g., by
using IPv6 addresses in a specific way or by introducing new ND
options) will be closely coordinated with 6man, and/or specific parts
will be fanned out to 6man documents.

NEW
For adaptation layer specifications that do not have implications on
IPv6 architecture, 6man will be notified about 6lo's working group
last call. Specifications that might have such an impact (e.g., by
using IPv6 addresses in a specific way or by introducing new ND
options or by exposing to IPv6 a link model different from either
Ethernet or 6lowpan) will be closely coordinated with 6man, and/or
specific parts will be fanned out to 6man documents.
================
Beyond 6man, 6lo will also coordinate with LWIG and INTAREA.

6lo works on small, focused pieces of Internet Area work. 6lo does not
take on larger cross-layer efforts. The working group will continue to
reuse existing protocols and mechanisms whenever reasonable and
possible.

Security and management work that is not specific to the link layers being
worked on is out of scope. Work related to routing is out of scope. 6lo
will coordinate closely with the working groups in other areas that focus
on constrained node networks, such as ROLL (RTG) and CoRE (APP).

---

From: Carsten Bormann <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 8 Oct 2013 18:25:16 +0200

On Oct 8, 2013, at 18:16, Ulrich Herberg <[email-masked]> wrote:

> updated version of the charter 

Works for me.

Thanks for coordinating this!

Grüße, Carsten

---

From: Ralph Droms <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 8 Oct 2013 17:36:10 -0400

Looks good to me, as well.

Brian - would it be worth the effort to bring together the comments that lead to the changes in the latest revision of the charter, as an aid to the IESG in the final review?

- Ralph

On Oct 8, 2013, at 12:25 PM 10/8/13, Carsten Bormann <[email-masked]> wrote:

> _______________________________________________
> 6lo mailing list
> [email-masked]
> https://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/6lo