Subject: Re: [6lo] Possible 6LoWPAN dispatch type deprecation and re-use for route over purposes

From: Michael Richardson <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 30 Apr 2015 15:21:25 -0400

Thierry LYS <[email-masked]> wrote:
    > We recently discovered that there are ongoing discussions to re-use
    > the 6LoWPAN dispatch type assigned by IANA for Mesh-Under routing (as
    > specified in RFC 4944) for Route-Over purposes.

    > As one of the biggest 6LoWPAN network operators (35 million smart
    > meters to be deployed in France - first deployments have started) and
    > considering other massive roll-outs on progress in Asia with the
    > G3-PLC technology (using the 6LoWPAN/IPv6 mechanisms), we are deeply

I tried to google for G3-PLC, got to:
    www.g3-plc.com which redirected me to:  http://107.170.210.217/
which is clearly a very much non-IPv6 compatible address for an entity that
is supposed to be deploying millions of IPv6 devices... this really does not
inspire confidence in me...

I knew what PLC was, but not how G3-PLC differs... can you clarify that it is
in fact a mesh-under technology?  What is the mesh protocol, and where is it
defined?

Can you clarify if G3-PLS is in fact using both mesh-under and route-over
technologies at the same time?

The proposed changes do not deprecate anything; they really just make
mesh-under and route-over unable to operate in the same PANID.

Having said that, I am not in favour with doing even that, but I want to make
sure that people clearly understand how minimal the impact.

As Ralph said, *PLEASE* respond via a Liason statement as that we can get
this into the right records.

--
Michael Richardson <[email-masked]>, Sandelman Software Works
 -= IPv6 IoT consulting =-