Subject: [6lo] Comment on draft-rashid-6lo-iid-assignment-02

From: Dave Thaler <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 15 Nov 2016 08:54:07 +0000

RFC 7217 includes it specifically for the case where the node might have
2 interfaces attached to the same network, and by using an interface index
(or ifname or whatever else), the node gets separate IIDs automatically.

The draft says:
> If DAD fails, the 6LBR will use public values for Prefix, Interface
> Index, and Network ID; the remaining two variables (DAD Counter,
> Randomized Secret Key) are local values.  Neighbor solicitation using
> link-local address cannot be avoided, but only the newly generated
> IID needs to be forwarded to the LN.

How does the 6LBR get the "Interface Index" mentioned in the above text.
The text says the Randomized Secret Key is a "local" value, presumably
the 6LBR's own value and not the 6LN's value, but the Interface Index is
not in that set, it's in the "public values" set of parameters and I don't
know what that means.  Is there a message where the 6LN passes its ifindex
to the 6LBR?   This needs to be explained in the draft.

Dave

---

From: AbdurRashidSangi <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 17 Nov 2016 14:36:18 +0000

Thank you Dave, for your comments.

As referenced in RFC7217 Appendix A - Net_Iface: can be either,

1. Interface Index,

2. Interface Name,

3. Link-Layer Address,

4. Logical Network Service Identity

EUI-64 of 6LN would be sent to 6LBR via 6LR within "Registration Option" and using that, a Link-Layer Address can be derived at 6LBR to input in PRF.

For multiple interface, DAD_counter would be incremented as soon as the collision occur.

On another aspect, Network_ID is an optional variable of PRF and we wouldn't use it. This clarification would be added in next revision.

If this satisfy your query then we would clarify these points in next version?

Best Regards,

Rashid Sangi.

________________________________
From: 6lo [[email-masked]] on behalf of Dave Thaler [[email-masked]]
Sent: Tuesday, November 15, 2016 4:54 PM
To: lo
Subject: [6lo] Comment on draft-rashid-6lo-iid-assignment-02

> IID needs to be forwarded to the LN.

How does the 6LBR get the “Interface Index” mentioned in the above text.
The text says the Randomized Secret Key is a “local” value, presumably
the 6LBR’s own value and not the 6LN’s value, but the Interface Index is
not in that set, it’s in the “public values” set of parameters and I don’t
know what that means.  Is there a message where the 6LN passes its ifindex
to the 6LBR?   This needs to be explained in the draft.

Dave