Subject: [6lo] Fwd: New Version Notification for draft-ietf-6man-rs-refresh-02.txt

From: Erik Nordmark <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 14 Nov 2016 11:31:09 +0900

This draft might be of interest to 6lo participants; it is on the agenda 
for the 6man meeting this week.

Regards,

    Erik

-------- Forwarded Message --------
Subject: 	New Version Notification for draft-ietf-6man-rs-refresh-02.txt
Date: 	Mon, 31 Oct 2016 14:53:58 -0700
From: 	[email-masked]
To: 	Erik Nordmark <[email-masked]>, Andrew Yourtchenko 
<[email-masked]>, Suresh Krishnan <[email-masked]>

A new version of I-D, draft-ietf-6man-rs-refresh-02.txt
has been successfully submitted by Erik Nordmark and posted to the
IETF repository.

Name:		draft-ietf-6man-rs-refresh
Revision:	02
Title:		IPv6 Neighbor Discovery Optional RS/RA Refresh
Document date:	2016-10-31
Group:		6man
Pages:		13
URL:            https://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-ietf-6man-rs-refresh-02.txt
Status:         https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-ietf-6man-rs-refresh/
Htmlized:       https://tools.ietf.org/html/draft-ietf-6man-rs-refresh-02
Diff:           https://www.ietf.org/rfcdiff?url2=draft-ietf-6man-rs-refresh-02

Abstract:
    IPv6 Neighbor Discovery relies on periodic multicast Router
    Advertisement messages to update timer values and to distribute new
    information (such as new prefixes) to hosts.  On some links the use
    of periodic multicast messages to all host becomes expensive, and in
    some cases it results in hosts waking up frequently.  Many
    implementations of RFC 4861 also use multicast for solicited Router
    Advertisement messages, even though that behavior is optional.

    This specification provides an optional mechanism for hosts and
    routers where instead of periodic multicast Router Advertisements the
    hosts are instructed (by the routers) to use Router Solicitations to
    request refreshed Router Advertisements.  This mechanism is enabled
    by configuring the router to include a new option in the Router
    Advertisement in order to allow the network administrator to choose
    host behavior based on whether periodic multicast are more efficient
    on their link or not.  The routers can also tell whether the hosts
    are capable of the new behavior through a new flag in the Router
    Solicitations.

Please note that it may take a couple of minutes from the time of submission
until the htmlized version and diff are available at tools.ietf.org.

The IETF Secretariat