Subject: [6lo] Understanding RFC8025 implementation and page switcihing

From: Samita Chakrabarti <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 8 Feb 2017 12:56:54 -0800

Hello :

I am trying to decipher the RFC 8025  packet header sequence and bit
patterns from reading the document and
http://www.iana.org/assignments/_6lowpan-parameters/.

Sorry, I should have asked these questions before, but it is never too
late...

* I assume the main purpose is to give the implementor tools to go and
parse/interprete additional data carried by original RFC 4944 style packet
or not.

* The document says that the page-switch dispatch type should be always
preceded by mesh and fragment header. I would assume that original pg 0 or
LOWPAN-IPHC dispatch type can precede as well. Can some one confirm if the
following sequences are valid ?

1) [Mesh][page-switch-to-X][New-dispatch-type from page X][Payload]
2) [ESC][ESC-Bytes][LOWPAN_IPHC][page-switch-to-X][Page-X-dispatch][Payload]
3)
[LOWPAN-IPHC][Payload][page-switch-toX][Page-X-dispatch][additional-payload]

If both 2 and 3 are valid sequences, can you please provide two examples of
use-cases ?

I was not sure if we can allow payload with each page and parse multiple
payloads with the same packet [ assuming we have large enough frame size].

Thanks,
-Samita