Subject: [6lo] Lorenzo's comment on sizing the NCE

From: "Pascal Thubert (pthubert)" <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 31 Jul 2017 14:49:07 +0000

Dear all :

I also got a comment from Lorenzo during IETF 99, about the size of NCE, which is potentially larger with the registration mechanism.
Below is text that I'm proposing to add to 08 to address that comment:

"
    Compared to classical IPv6 ND where a router must have enough storage to
    hold neighbor cache entries for all the addresses that are actively used
    through this router, the Address Registration mechanism implies that the
    router must now have enough storage to hold neighbor cache entries for all
    the addresses that may be registered to it, regardless of whether they are
    currently participating to an active conversation or not.
"

This text would precede the existing:
"
    This implies that the capabilities of 6LoWPAN Router (6LR) or 6LoWPAN
    Border Router (6LBR) in terms of number of registrations must be clearly
    announced in the router documentation, and that a network administrator
    should deploy adapted 6LR/6LBRs to support the number and type of devices
    in his network, based on the number of IPv6 addresses that those devices
    require and their renewal rate and behaviour.
"

Works?

Pascal