Subject: [6lowpan] #48: NR/NC improvements and router state

From: "6lowpan issue tracker" <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 03 Aug 2009 13:09:20 -0000

#48: NR/NC improvements and router state
--------------------------------+-------------------------------------------
 Reporter:  [email-masked]  |       Owner:     
     Type:  enhancement         |      Status:  new
 Priority:  major               |   Milestone:     
Component:  nd                  |     Version:     
 Severity:  -                   |    Keywords:     
--------------------------------+-------------------------------------------
 An enhancement was suggested by Pascal, Jonathan, Richard, Zach wrt NR/NC
 messages through (relaying) routers. By allowing nodes to send NR messages
 meant only for the router at a faster interval, slower intervals can be
 used over multiple hops to the ER. This furthermore makes the state needed
 on routers more straightforward, and allows routers to implement security
 mechanisms easier in the future. The changes needed are minimal:

 - New codes to the NR/NC message. Indicating Request (to ER), Refresh (to
 Router) or Relayed Request (as is now).

 - New NC status allowing the router to tell the node to make a request.

 - Separate Binding Lifetime (for Whiteboard) and Advertisement Interval
 (for Router).

 - TID is not incremented upon a refresh to the router.

 This means that routers would no longer need to keep temporary relay state
 in-between an NR and an NC. They would instead keep a binding table or
 currently registered nodes which timees out at e.g. 2.5 * Advertisement
 Interval. For security reasons routers would only forward for nodes that
 have registered through them.

 This also eliminates the need for a neighbor cache in nodes, further
 simplifying node implementations.

-- 
Ticket URL: <http://trac.tools.ietf.org/wg/6lowpan/trac/ticket/48>
6lowpan <http://tools.ietf.org/6lowpan/>

---

From: "6lowpan issue tracker" <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 03 Aug 2009 13:18:30 -0000

#48: NR/NC improvements and router state
--------------------------------+-------------------------------------------
 Reporter:  [email-masked]  |        Owner:  [email-masked]
     Type:  enhancement         |       Status:  new               
 Priority:  major               |    Milestone:                    
Component:  nd                  |      Version:                    
 Severity:  -                   |   Resolution:                    
 Keywords:                      |  
--------------------------------+-------------------------------------------
Changes (by [email-masked]):

  * owner:  => [email-masked]

-- 
Ticket URL: <http://trac.tools.ietf.org/wg/6lowpan/trac/ticket/48#comment:1>
6lowpan <http://tools.ietf.org/6lowpan/>

---

From: "6lowpan issue tracker" <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 17 Aug 2009 15:18:41 -0000

#48: NR/NC improvements and router state
--------------------------------+-------------------------------------------
 Reporter:  [email-masked]  |        Owner:  [email-masked]
     Type:  enhancement         |       Status:  closed            
 Priority:  major               |    Milestone:                    
Component:  nd                  |      Version:                    
 Severity:  -                   |   Resolution:  fixed             
 Keywords:                      |  
--------------------------------+-------------------------------------------
Changes (by [email-masked]):

  * status:  new => closed
  * resolution:  => fixed

Comment:

 Done in nd-05.

-- 
Ticket URL: <http://trac.tools.ietf.org/wg/6lowpan/trac/ticket/48#comment:2>
6lowpan <http://tools.ietf.org/6lowpan/>