Subject: [6tisch] Question about the support of hybrid MAC in 6TiSCH framework

From: Sumankumar Panchal <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 8 Sep 2017 11:55:28 +0530

Dear All,

Is there any way to support hybrid MAC wherein TSCH and non-TSCH modes
co-exist within a 6TiSCH network ? The motivation for this comes from
the following papers that I came across, where Hybrid MAC over
traditional TDMA or CSMA MAC such as Z-MAC [1], ER-MAC [2], EZMAC [3],
QZMAC [3] has been proposed.

References:

[1] Z-MAC: a Hybrid MAC for Wireless Sensor Networks, SenSys’05
http://www4.ncsu.edu/~rhee/export/zmacsensys.pdf

[2] A hybrid MAC protocol for emergency response wireless sensor
networks
http://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/pii/S1570870514000638

[3] Hybrid MAC Protocols for Low-Delay Scheduling, IEEE 13th
International Conference on Mobile Ad Hoc and Sensor Systems, 2016
http://ieeexplore.ieee.org/document/7815011/

IEEE Std 802.15.4-2015 defines various MLME primitives which allow you
to ON and OFF TSCH mode using MLME-TSCH-MODE request. Is there a way we
can manage Hybrid MAC using these MLME primitives within 6TiSCH
framework ?

Your feedback will be highly appreciated.

Best regards,
Suman Panchal

---

From: Thomas Watteyne <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 10 Sep 2017 08:31:46 +0200

Suman,
6TiSCH focuses entirely on the TSCH mode of 802.15.4.
Thomas

On Fri, Sep 8, 2017 at 8:25 AM, Sumankumar Panchal <[email-masked]>
wrote:

> _______________________________________________
> 6tisch mailing list
> [email-masked]
> https://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/6tisch
>
>

-- 
_______________________________________

Thomas Watteyne, PhD
Research Scientist & Innovator, Inria
Sr Networking Design Eng, Linear Tech
Founder & co-lead, UC Berkeley OpenWSN
Co-chair, IETF 6TiSCH

www.thomaswatteyne.com
_______________________________________

---

From: Sumankumar Panchal <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 10 Sep 2017 14:23:15 +0530

Thomas Watteyne,

Thanks for the feedback.

Best regards,
Suman Panchal

On Sun, Sep 10, 2017 at 12:01 PM, Thomas Watteyne <[email-masked]>
wrote:

> On Fri, Sep 8, 2017 at 8:25 AM, Sumankumar Panchal <
> [email-masked]> wrote:
>
>> Dear All,
>>