Subject: [6tisch] Alexey Melnikov's No Record on draft-ietf-6tisch-6top-protocol-11: (with COMMENT)

From: Alexey Melnikov <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 04 Apr 2018 11:41:52 -0700

Alexey Melnikov has entered the following ballot position for
draft-ietf-6tisch-6top-protocol-11: No Record

When responding, please keep the subject line intact and reply to all
email addresses included in the To and CC lines. (Feel free to cut this
introductory paragraph, however.)

Please refer to https://www.ietf.org/iesg/statement/discuss-criteria.html
for more information about IESG DISCUSS and COMMENT positions.

The document, along with other ballot positions, can be found here:
https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-ietf-6tisch-6top-protocol/

----------------------------------------------------------------------
COMMENT:
----------------------------------------------------------------------

I haven't finished reading the document, so I am sending the comments I've
accumulated so far.

I am agreeing with Benjamin's DISCUSS about versioning.

Additionally:

3.2.2.  Generic 6P Message Format

   6P Version (Version):  The version of the 6P protocol.  Only version
         0 is defined in this document.  Future specifications MAY
         define further versions of the 6P protocol.

Use of MAY in the last sentence doesn't seem correct, as there is no way to
test conformance to it. I suggest you just change it to lowercase "may" and add
boilerplate to reference RFC 8174 in addition to RFC 2119.

3.3.2.  Deleting Cells

   o  If the CellList in the 6P Request is empty, the SF on the
      receiving node SHOULD delete any cell from the sender, as long as

Did you mean "all" instead of "any"?

      it matches the CellOptions field.

   o  The CellList in a 6P Request (2-step transaction) or 6P Response
      (3-step transaction) MUST either be empty, contain exactly
      NumCells cells, or more than NumCells cells.

What is the meaning of "more than NumCells cells" in case of DELETE?

      The case where the
      CellList is not empty but contains less than NumCells cells is not
      supported.

3.3.5.  Listing Cells

   When node B receives a LIST request, the returned CellList in the 6P
   Response contains between 1 and MaxNumCells cells,

Here you say "between 1 and MaxNumCells".

   starting from the
   specified offset.  Node B SHOULD include as many cells as fit in the
   frame.  If the response contains the last cell, Node B MUST set the
   Code field in the response to RC_EOL ("End of List", as per
   Figure 37), indicating to Node A that there no more cells that match
   the request.  Node B MUST return at least one cell, unless the
   specified Offset is beyond the end of B's cell list in its schedule.
   If node B has less than Offset cells that match the request, node B
   returns an empty CellList and a Code field set to RC_EOL.

And here you say that 0 is allowed. You should update the above to say "between
0 and MaxNumCells".