Subject: [6tisch] [ACM BuildSys 2018] Call for Paper (Paper Registration: June 8)

From: Polly Huang <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 7 May 2018 08:32:26 +0900

-- Our sincere apologies if you receive multiple copies of the call --

BuildSys 2018 Call for Papers

Built environments and critical urban infrastructures, account for
over half of society’s energy consumption and are the mainstay of our
nation’s economy, security and health.  Advances in the effective
integration of networked sensors, building controls, and physical
infrastructure are transforming our society. In the information age,
unprecedented research of cyber physical infrastructures includes: the
acquisition, integration, and analysis of big and heterogeneous data
such as sensors, devices, vehicles, buildings, and human, to tackle
the major issues that cities face, e.g., air pollution, increased
energy consumption and traffic congestion.

Systems optimization, data analysis and modeling applied to the built
environment are particularly important in improving our society, e.g.,
by increasing its sustainability and enhancing people’s
quality-of-life. These systems represent the foundation for emerging
“smart cities”.

The 5th ACM International Conference on Systems for Energy-Efficient
Built Environments (BuildSys 2018) will be held November 7-8, 2018 at
Shenzhen, China. This year at least five best papers in the ACM
BuildSys proceedings will be selected into the ACM Transactions on
Sensor Networks with minor revision, upon authors' agreement.

BuildSys is the premier conference for researchers and practitioners
working to develop and optimize smart infrastructure systems that are
driven by sophisticated sensing, computing, and control functions. We
invite original contributions including, but not limited to the
following:

* Applications in smart and connected communities;
* Sensing and control for urban infrastructure systems;
* Novel sensor methodologies, techniques, and tools;
* Sensing and control of electrical, gas, and water loads;
* Improved user interfaces to built infrastructure;
* Modeling, simulation, optimization, and control of heating, cooling,
lighting, ventilation, water usage and other resource flows in built
environments;
* Sensor systems and applications that enhance energy efficiency,
energy reliability, durability and comfort;
* Systems that integrate infrastructure with the smart grid to offer
demand response and ancillary services;
* Distributed generation, alternative energy, renewable sources, and
energy storage in buildings;
* Emerging standards for data collection, energy control, or
interoperability of disparate devices or systems;
* Sensing, modeling, and predicting the urban heartbeat including
sounds, movements, and radio spectrum;
* Human in the loop sensing and control for efficient usage of
electricity, gas, heating, water;
* Sensor systems for reliable occupancy counting;
* Long-lived and energy harvesting sensor systems;
* Scalable indoor localization and contextual computing;
* Security, privacy, safety, and reliability in built systems;
* Empirical studies of city-scale wireless communications;
* Environmental Sensing;
* Vehicle technologies and Traffic.

### Paper Types
We solicit two types of original submissions:

* Regular papers for oral presentation (10 pages)
* Notes papers for oral presentation (4 pages)

Notes papers are 4-page papers intended to discuss preliminary
research results, advocate new research directions, describe public
software or datasets, or present short projects that do not warrant a
10-page paper. Notes papers serve, in part, to encourage younger
researchers and research teams entering this field of research to
share their work. We also encourage Notes paper submissions from
industry participants that may not be able to devote resources to a
full paper. While Notes papers are not expected to have extensive
evaluations, they will be reviewed based on the novelty of their
ideas, potential for impact, and quality of presentation.

### Submission Guidelines
Submitted papers must be unpublished and must not be currently under
review for any other publication. Submissions must be full papers, at
most 10 single-spaced US Letter (8.5” x 11”) pages, including figures,
tables, references and appendices. Submissions for Note papers must be
at most 4 single-spaced US Letter (8.5"x11") pages, including figures,
tables, references and appendices. All submissions must use the LaTeX
(preferred) or Word styles found here. Authors must make a good faith
effort to anonymize their submissions by: (1) using the "anonymous"
option for the class and (2) using "anonsuppress" section where
appropriate. Papers that do not meet the size, formatting, and
anonymization requirements will not be reviewed. Please note that ACM
uses 9-pt fonts in all conference proceedings, and the style (both
LaTeX and Word) implicitly define the font size to be 9-pt. Please
refer to publication chair's Note as well as the User Guide of the new
class. Accepted submissions will be available on the ACM digital
library on the first day of the conference.

### Submission Link
All papers must be in Adobe Portable Document Format (PDF) and
submitted through the web submission form:
https://buildsys18.hotcrp.com/.
For notes papers, the submission site has a checkbox called "Notes
papers." Those who submit notes papers need to check this box to
indicate their paper types.

### Important Dates
* Abstract Registration**: June 8, 2018, AOE.
* Paper Submission: June 15, 2018, AOE. (Hard deadline)
* Paper Notification: August 20, 2018, AOE.

** For the abstract registration, you only need to enter the title of
the paper, the list of authors and their email addresses, the PC
conflicts, and a brief abstract (~150-250 words). After registering
the paper's abstract, you will have one additional week to upload the
PDF file of the paper (either a 10-page Full paper or a 4-page Notes
paper).