Subject: Re: [71attendees] IETF in Lights

From: "DOLLY, MARTIN C, ATTLABS" <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 1 Mar 2008 08:53:15 -0600

I see EAGLES on the sign... I did not know that they still play football
in Philly anymore... 

-----Original Message-----
From: [email-masked] [mailto:[email-masked]]
On Behalf Of Livingood, Jason
Sent: Friday, February 29, 2008 3:33 PM
To: [email-masked]
Subject: [71attendees] IETF in Lights

Most people hope to see their name in lights one day.  The IETF gets
their name in lights soon, if all goes according to plan.  ;-)

One of the taller buildings in the skyline is the PECO building
(Philadelphia Electric Company).  The have a big light board across the
top of their building that scrolls messages across that you can see from
a great distance, from dusk until dawn.  

We're expecting them to display "Welcome IETF-71" from Sunday, March
9th, to Wednesday, March 12th.

Hopefully someone gets a picture or two of this!  

Here is what it looks like:
http://phillyskyline.com/photo/snow/snow03_eagles.jpg (text scrolls from
right to left)

Regards
Jason
_______________________________________________
71attendees mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/71attendees
_______________________________________________
71attendees mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/71attendees

---

From: Dave Crocker <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 01 Mar 2008 09:36:52 -0800

The afterglow lingers on...

-- 

   Dave Crocker
   Brandenburg InternetWorking
   bbiw.net
_______________________________________________
71attendees mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/71attendees

---

From: Joe Touch <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 02 Mar 2008 10:00:07 -0800

> I see EAGLES on the sign... I did not know that they still play football

Although Eagles fans have debated whether they actually play football on 
at any given game (esp. winning three in a row the end of this past 
season, and not making it to the playoffs anyway), they remain the local 
NFL franchise.

If your point is that it's not football season, point taken.

Some other points to consider, however:

	- Jim's Steaks (6th and South Street)
		easier to get to and better (IMO) than either Pat's
		or Geno's
	
	- Termini Brother's Bakery (outlet at the Reading Terminal
		Market, a few blocks from the IETF hotel)
		Definitive cannoli's, cakes, etc. The main store is
		down near the Pat's/Geno's corner (10th/Passyunk/Reed),
		two blocks south of Reed on 8th

	- Reading Terminal Market
		besides having a Termini's outlet, also has Amish
		stalls and fresh pretzel making.

	- Tastykake (any grocery store/mini-mart)
		cupcakes with real ingredients; the "krimpet"
		is the local favorite

	- soft pretzels (street vendors)
		nearly rectangular, squashed shape
		if you don't put mustard on it, they'll know
		you're from out of town

Given the timing, you'll also find something called "Irish potatoes" at 
local candy stalls/shops, which are, AFAICT, neither Irish nor potatoes. 
They're a regional candy made only near St. Patrick's Day, the inside is 
basically coconut cream, and the outside is rolled in cinnamon.

Joe

---

From: Alexandru Petrescu <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 10 Mar 2008 04:42:07 +0100

Livingood, Jason wrote:
> (Philadelphia Electric Company).  The have a big light board across 
> the top of their building that scrolls messages across that you can 
> see from a great distance, from dusk until dawn.
> 

Hi, thanks for the pointer.  I'd like to walk see this, somewhere along
the Market street.  Sunset is 18h51.  Can it be seen at that time?

Is that neighborhood a safe place to walk at that time?

> Hopefully someone gets a picture or two of this!

Let's see...

The photo you've attached seems nice but difficult to identify where it
was shot from.  I guess a long telephoto lens was used, from some 500m
or more (knowing it's tall, and compared with the attached google maps
street view shot with a fisheye from 100m, East-to-West).  Any hint as
to where that may have been shot from is appreciated.

Alex

---

From: "Livingood, Jason" <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 10 Mar 2008 00:06:51 -0400

> From: Joe Touch [mailto:[email-masked]] 

A complete mini-guide to cheesesteak eating is at
http://ietf71.comcast.net/?p=20

I have to concur on Jim's Steaks being particularly good - it is my
favorite!
 	
> 		stalls and fresh pretzel making.

Reading Terminal Market is a GREAT place to grab lunch during the
meeting.  It is about 500 feet from the venue, is fast, is not
expensive, and has a wide variety of food!

http://www.readingterminalmarket.org/
http://ietf71.comcast.net/?page_id=6
 
> 		if you don't put mustard on it, they'll know

Mustard must be used, please don't embarrass yourself with a naked
pretzel! ;-)

Jason

---

From: "Livingood, Jason" <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 10 Mar 2008 00:24:38 -0400

> Hi, thanks for the pointer.  I'd like to walk see this, 
> somewhere along the Market street.  Sunset is 18h51.  Can it 
> be seen at that time?

That time is probably fine.  The picture you attached was looking west
towards the building, on Market Street.  The building is rectangular and
your pic looks at the narrow side.  I would recommend a viewing angle
looking at the building facing south or north.  As the street grid of
the city is exactly N-S-E-W, this is easy to do.  Market Street runs
East-West, while numbered streets run North-South.

A good place to see this may be to head towards 30th Street Station on
John F. Kennedy Blvd, looking to your left at the building.  Then turn
left after crossing the river, and left again to come back Market
Street.
 
> Is that neighborhood a safe place to walk at that time?

At that time of day it is still fairly busy and safe (I have walked from
my office down JFK to 30th Street at midnight).  Just use normal
city-smarts that you would use in any city and you will be fine.  Thus,
stay on well-lit paths, don't go hanging out under darkened bridges,
etc.  ;-)  You are also probably better off in any place in the world
when walking with a friend.

> The photo you've attached seems nice but difficult to 
> identify where it was shot from.  I guess a long telephoto 
> lens was used, from some 500m or more (knowing it's tall, and 
> compared with the attached google maps street view shot with 
> a fisheye from 100m, East-to-West).  Any hint as to where 
> that may have been shot from is appreciated.

I have no idea...

Jason

---

From: Shumon Huque <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 10 Mar 2008 00:50:22 -0400

> Is that neighborhood a safe place to walk at that time?

It's safe to walk. The PECO building is on Market Street (north
side) between 23rd and the Schuylkill river (ie. just west of
23rd St). I think that photo was probably taken from somewhere 
along 24th Street several blocks south of the building. But you 
should be able to see the lights walking along Market St.

It isn't that tall though. We should all go see the new Comcast
building! :-)

--Shumon.

---

From: "Justin YUAN SHI" <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 10 Mar 2008 12:01:06 -0400

The shot was taken approximately at the intersection of Market and 21st
streets.

You can walk to that location from Marriot in about 20 min. The neighborhood
is relative safe to walk late night. Please go in groups though. 

Justin Y. Shi
-----Original Message-----
From: [email-masked] [mailto:[email-masked]] On
Behalf Of Alexandru Petrescu
Sent: Sunday, March 09, 2008 11:42 PM
To: Livingood, Jason
Cc: [email-masked]
Subject: Re: [71attendees] IETF in Lights

> 9th, to Wednesday, March 12th.

Hi, thanks for the pointer.  I'd like to walk see this, somewhere along the
Market street.  Sunset is 18h51.  Can it be seen at that time?

Let's see...

The photo you've attached seems nice but difficult to identify where it was
shot from.  I guess a long telephoto lens was used, from some 500m or more
(knowing it's tall, and compared with the attached google maps street view
shot with a fisheye from 100m, East-to-West).  Any hint as to where that may
have been shot from is appreciated.

Alex

---

From: Alexandru Petrescu <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 11 Mar 2008 06:12:15 +0100

Thanks for the directions and suggestions, I could find two good spots,
but night photos of fast moving objects are always tough...

The neighborhood looked indeed safe - I was controlled by a police
officer in a car.  He said "ok, just checking" - checked he did and
photos I took.

cca 1mb each:
http://i76.photobucket.com/albums/j8/petrescu_2006/_MG_8784.gif
http://i76.photobucket.com/albums/j8/petrescu_2006/_MG_8651.gif

Alex

Justin YUAN SHI wrote:
> The shot was taken approximately at the intersection of Market and 
> 21st streets.
> 
> You can walk to that location from Marriot in about 20 min. The 
> neighborhood is relative safe to walk late night. Please go in groups
>  though.
> 
> Justin Y. Shi -----Original Message----- From: 
> [email-masked] [mailto:[email-masked]] On
>  Behalf Of Alexandru Petrescu Sent: Sunday, March 09, 2008 11:42 PM 
> To: Livingood, Jason Cc: [email-masked] Subject: Re: 
> [71attendees] IETF in Lights
> 
> Livingood, Jason wrote:
>> Most people hope to see their name in lights one day.  The IETF 
>> gets their name in lights soon, if all goes according to plan.  ;-)
>> 
>> 
>> 
>> 
>>  the top of their building that scrolls messages across that you 
>> can see from a great distance, from dusk until dawn.
>> 
>> We're expecting them to display "Welcome IETF-71" from Sunday, 
>> March 9th, to Wednesday, March 12th.
> 
> Hi, thanks for the pointer.  I'd like to walk see this, somewhere 
> along the Market street.  Sunset is 18h51.  Can it be seen at that 
> time?
> 
> The photo you've attached seems nice but difficult to identify where
>  it was shot from.  I guess a long telephoto lens was used, from some
>  500m or more (knowing it's tall, and compared with the attached 
> google maps street view shot with a fisheye from 100m, East-to-West).
>  Any hint as to where that may have been shot from is appreciated.
> 
> Alex
> 
>

---

From: Alexandru Petrescu <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 13 Mar 2008 14:43:05 +0100

Thanks to the few people who asked in private about copying/displaying
these pics elsewhere: all rights granted to anyone, no need to ask.

I quickly shot another pic Tuesday evening from the 'Rocky' stairs at
museum, but w/o tripod so tolerance is required :-)

http://i76.photobucket.com/albums/j8/petrescu_2006/_MG_8835.gif

Alex

Alexandru Petrescu wrote:
> Thanks for the directions and suggestions, I could find two good
spots, but night photos of fast moving objects are always tough...
21st streets.
[email-masked] [mailto:[email-masked]] On
Behalf Of Alexandru Petrescu Sent: Sunday, March 09, 2008 11:42 PM To:
Livingood, Jason Cc: [email-masked] Subject: Re: [71attendees]
IETF in Lights
>>> gets
>> Hi, thanks for the pointer.  I'd like to walk see this, somewhere
along the Market street.  Sunset is 18h51.  Can it be seen at that time?
it was shot from.  I guess a long telephoto lens was used, from some
500m or more (knowing it's tall, and compared with the attached google
maps street view shot with a fisheye from 100m, East-to-West). Any hint
as to where that may have been shot from is
>> appreciated.
>> 
>> Alex
>> 
>> 
> 
> _______________________________________________ 71attendees mailing
list [email-masked] https://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/71attendees