Subject: [71attendees] Network Utilization - Let's See Some...

From: "Livingood, Jason" <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 13 Mar 2008 09:45:47 -0400

As Morgan from VeriLAN noted last night at the plenary, sounds like
we've only used a tiny portion of the network's capacity.  How about you
folks start really using this connection?  Certainly you can do better
than 50Mbps? ;-)

Jason 
_______________________________________________
71attendees mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/71attendees

---

From: "Nancy E. Davis" <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 13 Mar 2008 09:51:46 -0400

Are there any stats available on net usage/throughput 
during the IPv4 outage?

Nancy

---

From: Dan York <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 13 Mar 2008 14:40:41 -0400

Jason,

> folks start really using this connection?  Certainly you can do better

Too bad we weren't running it through next Tuesday... we could offer  
to host Oprah's next webcast/broadcast on Monday night for 700,000  
attendees! ;-)

Given that 100 GBps divided by 1200 attendees equals about 80 MBps  
for EACH attendee, how exactly would you suggest we suck up all that  
bandwidth?  (And there's probably under 1,000 people left, so it more  
like 100+ MBps per attendee.)

About all I can think of would be to get all 1,000 laptops remaining  
to install something like BitTorrent and make a *massive* BT file- 
sharing cloud.... but somehow I don't think we'll all do that.  Or  
perhaps we could all somehow try to become Skype supernodes...

Seriously, kudos to you and all the Comcast folks for providing such  
outstanding Internet access this week.  This has definitely been the  
best and snappiest Internet access I've experienced yet at a meeting/ 
conference/event.  You've set a high bar!

Thanks,
Dan

-- 
Dan York, CISSP, Director of Emerging Communication Technology
Office of the CTO    Voxeo Corporation     [email-masked]
Phone: +1-407-455-5859  Skype: danyork  http://www.voxeo.com
Blogs: http://blogs.voxeo.com  http://www.disruptivetelephony.com

Build voice applications based on open standards.
Find out how at http://www.voxeo.com/free

---

From: Dan York <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 13 Mar 2008 15:01:47 -0400

On Mar 13, 2008, at 2:57 PM, Dale Worley wrote:

> On Thu, 2008-03-13 at 14:40 -0400, Dan York wrote:
>> for
>> EACH attendee, how exactly would you suggest we suck up all that
> 100 GB/sec?  How did we get a feeder like that into the building???

The slides in Comcast's host presentation at last night's plenary  
covered that.   Their utilization charts also showed we weren't using  
much of that bandwidth.  ;-)

Dan

---

From: "Livingood, Jason" <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 13 Mar 2008 16:15:10 -0400

Gbps not GBps I suppose.  ;-)

________________________________

From: Dan York [mailto:[email-masked]]
Sent: Thu 3/13/2008 3:01 PM
To: Dale Worley
Cc: Livingood, Jason; [email-masked]
Subject: Re: [71attendees] Network Utilization - Let's See Some...

		Given that 100 GBps divided by 1200 attendees equals about 80 MBps for
		EACH attendee, how exactly would you suggest we suck up all that
		bandwidth?  (And there's probably under 1,000 people left, so it more
		like 100+ MBps per attendee.)

The slides in Comcast's host presentation at last night's plenary covered that.   Their utilization charts also showed we weren't using much of that bandwidth.  ;-) 

Dan

-- 
Dan York, CISSP, Director of Emerging Communication Technology
Office of the CTO    Voxeo Corporation     [email-masked]
Phone: +1-407-455-5859  Skype: danyork  http://www.voxeo.com <http://www.voxeo.com/> 
Blogs: http://blogs.voxeo.com <http://blogs.voxeo.com/>   http://www.disruptivetelephony.com <http://www.disruptivetelephony.com/>

---

From: Michael Graff <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 13 Mar 2008 16:20:29 -0400

It'd be hard since the wired switches in the terminal room while  
gigabit are seemingly chained. So the wired connections are limited to  
1% total from my poking around.

--Michael

On Mar 13, 2008, at 15:01, Dan York <[email-masked]> wrote:

> covered that.   Their utilization charts also showed we weren't  
> using much of that bandwidth.  ;-)
>
> Dan
>
> --

---

From: [email-masked]
Date: Thu, 13 Mar 2008 13:21:16 -0700

Any URL to the cacti graphs (bandwidth utilization) ?

> <http://www.voxeo.com/>
> Blogs: http://blogs.voxeo.com <http://blogs.voxeo.com/>     
> http://www.disruptivetelephony.com   
> <http://www.disruptivetelephony.com/>
>

---

From: "Bill Fenner" <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 13 Mar 2008 17:12:19 -0400

> Any URL to the cacti graphs (bandwidth utilization) ?

Cacti is making it hard to give direct links (it opens the 4th floor
AP associations instead), so start at:
http://peter.ietf71.ietf.org/cacti/graph_view.php
and pick "External" over on the left.

  Bill

---

From: Stephane Bortzmeyer <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 13 Mar 2008 17:40:07 -0400

On Thu, Mar 13, 2008 at 02:40:41PM -0400,
 Dan York <[email-masked]> wrote 
 a message of 165 lines which said:

> to install something like BitTorrent and make a *massive* BT
> file-sharing cloud....

I currently run mlDonkey (http://www.mldonkey.net/) over ietf-v6ONLY
and the counters (upload and download) stay at zero... Quite different
from what I see with IPv4, where it always run at the limit I've set.

Am I the only eDonkey user with IPv6?

---

From: Dale Worley <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 13 Mar 2008 14:57:19 -0400

Dale