Subject: [71attendees] instructions for v6 on RHEL/Fedora

From: Pekka Savola <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 12 Mar 2008 23:32:35 +0200 (EET)

FYI,

On RHEL/Fedora/Centos -like systems, v6-only seems to work on the 
following kind of ifcfg-ethX config (which also works on v4 and v4/v6 
systems):

DEVICE=eth1
BOOTPROTO=dhcp
ONBOOT=yes
ESSID=ietf-v6ONLY
#DHCPV6C=yes
PERSISTENT_DHCLIENT=yes
DHCLIENTARGS="-nw"
DNS1=2001:0df8:0:5::6
DNS2=2001:0df8:0:5::7
NETWORKING_IPV6=yes

Some backgroud to these toggles:
1)
   a) DHCLIENTARGS is needed because otherwise dhclient ends upwaiting for
      60 seconds for a lease and if it fails, the interface is taken down.
   b) PERSISTENT_DHCLIENT is needed to remove the default "-1" (one-shot)
      dhclient toggle which results in dhclient exiting instead of
      retrying.

   These together will allow you to run dhclient even if no DHCPv4 server is
   available; if you just want to not use DHCPv4, commenting out BOOTPROTO
   is sufficient.

2) Because the DHCPv6 server doesn't seem to offer DNS information (and in
    any case, old DHCPv6 client reportedly doesn't even work very well),
    there is no need to run DHCPv6 client.  Manual configuration of DNS
    servers can be done in the init script like above.

(Someone with edit privs feel free to put this in a wiki if necessary)
_______________________________________________
71attendees mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/71attendees

---

From: Pekka Savola <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 12 Mar 2008 23:53:43 +0200 (EET)

On Wed, 12 Mar 2008, Stig Venaas wrote:
> Pekka Savola wrote:
> [...]
> I got IPv6 DNS server addresses just fine. Using Gentoo Linux and
> dibbler as dhcpv6 client.

Good to know.  Even the latest version from 
https://fedorahosted.org/dhcpv6/ doesn't seem to work. (With tcpdump I see 
the client requesting the NTP option but I don't see it in the server's 
advertisement.) I'm not surprised as the codebase is roughly 4-5 years old 
and the original author abandoned it long time ago.

Pekka

---

From: Stig Venaas <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 12 Mar 2008 22:43:31 +0100

Pekka Savola wrote:
[...]

Stig

---

From: Stephane Bortzmeyer <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 13 Mar 2008 10:29:29 -0400

On Wed, Mar 12, 2008 at 10:43:31PM +0100,
 Stig Venaas <[email-masked]> wrote 

> dibbler as dhcpv6 client.

Why not using RFC 5006 as well, for people who prefer RA?