Subject: [71attendees] Configuring IPv6 for OpenSolaris

From: Erik Nordmark <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 12 Mar 2008 15:18:15 -0700

If you are running an OpenSolaris build less than about a year old it 
should be quite easy to get IPv6 to work.
To start IPv6 manually you do (assuming your wireless driver is wpi0)
	ifconfig wpi0 inet6 plumb
	dladm connect-wifi -e ietf-v6ONLY
	ifconfig wpi0 inet6 up

That will trigger neighbor discovery, which will then trigger dhcpagent 
to go ask for the dns server addresses.

The thing missing is an automatic way to get the nameservers from the 
dhcp client into /etc/resolv.conf.

That can be done manually with
	/sbin/dhcpinfo -i wpi0 -v 6 dnsaddresses
and then put that into /etc/resolv.conf

Note that there are some Ethernet multicast problems with the Atheros 
WiFi driver which makes it hard to get any consistent behavior with that 
driver.

    Erik

_______________________________________________
71attendees mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/71attendees

---

From: James Carlson <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 13 Mar 2008 13:15:21 -0400

> WiFi driver which makes it hard to get any consistent behavior with that 

Indeed.  There are hard-to-diagnose problems there, and it seems to
get better while snooping ... but only sometimes, and temporarily, and
I'm not at all sure why that's so.  It appears to be driver-specific
problem.

Also disappointing was to discover that GNOME's pidgin doesn't do IPv6
at all on OpenSolaris, so telling others of the basic success was
harder than necessary.

On the plus side, and until my batteries gave out, everything that was
reachable via IPv6 (including browsing my home web server) just
worked.  Too bad so little is in fact reachable.  :-/

It was a good experiment, and far more successful than the
simultaneous power outage experiment.

-- 
James Carlson, Solaris Networking              <[email-masked]>
Sun Microsystems / 35 Network Drive        71.232W   Vox +1 781 442 2084
MS UBUR02-212 / Burlington MA 01803-2757   42.496N   Fax +1 781 442 1677
_______________________________________________
71attendees mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/71attendees