Subject: [72attendees] tipping

From: Marc Petit-Huguenin <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 24 Jul 2008 14:02:23 -0700

Hi,

As this is my first trip to Ireland:  What are the rules for tipping?

Thanks.

- --
Marc Petit-Huguenin           [                                 ]
Home: [email-masked] [RFC1855-compliant space for rent ]
Work: [email-masked]            [                                 ]
[                                                               ]
_______________________________________________
72attendees mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/72attendees

---

From: Stephen Farrell <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 24 Jul 2008 22:12:48 +0100

> As this is my first trip to Ireland:  What are the rules for tipping?

Generally, less is expected than in say the US, but tipping is common.
Its normal to tip in restaurants (10-15%), and cabs (usually round
up a quid or two). In bars, staff behind the bar aren't often tipped,
but staff that bring drink to your table are. In coffee/sandwich
shops they may have a tip-jar at the till and you can tip or not
as you please.

I'm sure someone will post a wiki link with much fuller details, of
course:-)

S.

---

From: Alan DeKok <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 24 Jul 2008 23:15:33 +0200

> As this is my first trip to Ireland:  What are the rules for tipping?

  You mis-spelled "tippling":  http://www.thefreedictionary.com/tippling

  There's (allegedly) an Irish saying: "If God had meant us to drink
beer, he would have given us stomachs."

  Tippling is apparently a past-time, but usually engaged in by students.

  Alan DeKok.

---

From: Marc Petit-Huguenin <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 24 Jul 2008 14:21:39 -0700

Thanks.

I think the fundamental question about tipping is:  Are the tips part of
their salary (USA) or not (France).  If they are payed by the tips then
you tip unless the service was really wrong.  If they are not, then you
tip only if the service was really good.  I guess by your answer that
this is similar to France (excepted that I will tip :-)

- --
Marc Petit-Huguenin           [                                 ]

---

From: Andrew Fuller <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 24 Jul 2008 23:55:36 +0100

As anticipated, here's a wiki link with Fuller details: 
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tipping#Ireland

Stephen's comments below are accurate, I'd add that tipping is 
considered less mandatory here than in most places in the US.

Andrew

-- 
-----------------------------------------------------------------
Andrew Fuller
 
Chief Technology Officer
Voxpilot Ltd,
6 - 9 Trinity Street,
Dublin 2,
Rep. of Ireland
 
Mobile: +353 86 6061915
email: [email-masked]
-----------------------------------------------------------------