Subject: [72attendees] Hotel performance ....

From: JORDI PALET MARTINEZ <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 28 Jul 2008 12:12:45 +0100

I think the hotel need to do some quick changes ...

The throughput in terms of sandwiches delivered per hour is really low !

Yesterday in the social, it took me 40 minutes to reach the food ... This
morning the breakfast line was over 15 minutes, and right now, I waited
almost 25 minutes to get a sandwich. Really not acceptable service, I hope
they can radically improve it by tomorrow, I don't think we have so many
extra minutes to wait in the queues and never have seen this long waiting
time in any previous IETF.

Regards,
Jordi

**********************************************
The IPv6 Portal: http://www.ipv6tf.org

Bye 6Bone. Hi, IPv6 !
http://www.ipv6day.org

This electronic message contains information which may be privileged or confidential. The information is intended to be for the use of the individual(s) named above. If you are not the intended recipient be aware that any disclosure, copying, distribution or use of the contents of this information, including attached files, is prohibited.

_______________________________________________
72attendees mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/72attendees

---

From: Andrew Lee <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 28 Jul 2008 12:17:26 +0100

Maybe we could deploy RED....

---

From: "Dick Chen" <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 28 Jul 2008 06:30:32 -0500

There were some volunteer REDees...

-----Original Message-----
From: [email-masked] [mailto:[email-masked]] On
Behalf Of Andrew Lee
Sent: Monday, July 28, 2008 6:17 AM
To: [email-masked]
Subject: Re: [72attendees] Hotel performance ....

JORDI PALET MARTINEZ wrote, On 7/28/08 12:12 PM:
> This electronic message contains information which may be privileged or
confidential. The information is intended to be for the use of the
individual(s) named above. If you are not the intended recipient be aware
that any disclosure, copying, distribution or use of the contents of this
information, including attached files, is prohibited.

---

From: "Ed Juskevicius" <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 28 Jul 2008 07:50:30 -0400

Where did you queue-up for lunch today?

I was in v6ops this morning, and then stayed a bit longer to complete a
few things.  I wandered over to the Kingswood Suite (above the Terminal
Room) at 12:30 p.m., and waited less than 1 minute to pay for my choice
of sandwich, dessert and beverage.  There were many different sandwich
choices (pre-made, sitting on plates, under plastic wrap), and lots of
sandwiches all around the room.

Regards,

Ed 

-----Original Message-----
From: [email-masked] [mailto:[email-masked]]
On Behalf Of JORDI PALET MARTINEZ
Sent: Monday, July 28, 2008 7:13 AM
To: [email-masked]
Subject: [72attendees] Hotel performance ....

Yesterday in the social, it took me 40 minutes to reach the food ...
This morning the breakfast line was over 15 minutes, and right now, I
waited almost 25 minutes to get a sandwich. Really not acceptable
service, I hope they can radically improve it by tomorrow, I don't think
we have so many extra minutes to wait in the queues and never have seen
this long waiting time in any previous IETF.

Regards,
Jordi

Bye 6Bone. Hi, IPv6 !
http://www.ipv6day.org

This electronic message contains information which may be privileged or
confidential. The information is intended to be for the use of the
individual(s) named above. If you are not the intended recipient be
aware that any disclosure, copying, distribution or use of the contents
of this information, including attached files, is prohibited.

---

From: Henk Uijterwaal <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 28 Jul 2008 13:53:18 +0200

> sandwiches all around the room.

I noticed that there were at least 3 sandwich lines, with a queue in front
of the one near the door, and 2 others with no customers.

Henk

-- 
------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Henk Uijterwaal                           Email: henk.uijterwaal(at)ripe.net
RIPE Network Coordination Centre          http://www.amsterdamned.org/~henk
P.O.Box 10096          Singel 258         Phone: +31.20.5354414
1001 EB Amsterdam      1016 AB Amsterdam  Fax: +31.20.5354445
The Netherlands        The Netherlands    Mobile: +31.6.55861746
------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Is one of the choices leaving the office open?
                                       Alan Greenspan on the next elections
_______________________________________________
72attendees mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/72attendees

---

From: "Romascanu, Dan (Dan)" <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 28 Jul 2008 14:01:27 +0200

Yes, there were three lines, but soft-drinks were not available at these
lines, and credit cards were not processed at the cash counters, so each
order for a drink or a credit card payment was placing on hold the line,
because the cashier had to leave his stand. This is why at 11:45 I had
to wait more than 20 minutes for a soup and sandwich, although there may
have been no more than 10-12 people in the line. 

Dan

> From: [email-masked] 
> [mailto:[email-masked]] On Behalf Of Henk Uijterwaal
> Sent: Monday, July 28, 2008 2:53 PM
> To: Ed Juskevicius
> Cc: [email-masked]
> > I was in v6ops this morning, and then stayed a bit longer 
> to complete 
> > a few things.  I wandered over to the Kingswood Suite (above the 
> > Terminal
> > Room) at 12:30 p.m., and waited less than 1 minute to pay for my 
> > choice of sandwich, dessert and beverage.  There were many 
> different 
> > sandwich choices (pre-made, sitting on plates, under plastic wrap), 
> > and lots of sandwiches all around the room.
> 
> I noticed that there were at least 3 sandwich lines, with a 
> queue in front of the one near the door, and 2 others with no 
> customers.
> 
> Henk
> 
> 
> > Regards,
> > 
> > Ed
> > 
> > service, I hope they can radically improve it by tomorrow, I don't 
> > think we have so many extra minutes to wait in the queues and never 
> > have seen this long waiting time in any previous IETF.
> > 
> > Regards,
> > Jordi
> > 
> > 
> > 
> > 
> > 
> > 
> > This electronic message contains information which may be 
> privileged 
> > or confidential. The information is intended to be for the 
> use of the
> > aware that any disclosure, copying, distribution or use of the 
> > contents of this information, including attached files, is 
> prohibited.
> > 
> > 
> > 
>                                        Alan Greenspan on the 
> next elections _______________________________________________
> 72attendees mailing list
> [email-masked]

---

From: "Ed Juskevicius" <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 28 Jul 2008 08:03:29 -0400

> ... and credit cards were not processed at the cash counters ...

Ok, that could make a big difference. I paid cash, so no delays for me.

Regards,

Ed 

-----Original Message-----
From: Romascanu, Dan (Dan) [mailto:[email-masked]] 
Sent: Monday, July 28, 2008 8:01 AM
To: Henk Uijterwaal; Juskevicius, Ed (CAR:1A12)
Cc: [email-masked]
Subject: RE: [72attendees] Hotel performance ....

Dan

> I noticed that there were at least 3 sandwich lines, with a queue in 
> front of the one near the door, and 2 others with no customers.
> 
> Henk
> 
> 
> > Regards,
> > 
> > Ed
> > 
> > [mailto:[email-masked]]
>                                        Alan Greenspan on the next 
> elections _______________________________________________
> 72attendees mailing list
> [email-masked]

---

From: "Mary Barnes" <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 28 Jul 2008 07:27:50 -0500

I had a big problem finding dietary restriction friendly food. I had
thought that the intent was to accommodate us as noted on the materials
we received at check-in. The lady I finally (nicely) harassed into
getting me a plain salad looked at me like I had 3 heads when I
mentioned my dietary restrictions.

If there is a place that is serving lunch for those of us with dietary
restrictions (gluten-free, casein-free, egg-free, vegan, vegetarian,
kosher, etc.) I would love to know as would quite a few other folks.  

Mary. 

-----Original Message-----
From: [email-masked] [mailto:[email-masked]]
On Behalf Of Juskevicius, Ed (CAR:1A12)
Sent: Monday, July 28, 2008 6:51 AM
To: [email-masked]
Cc: [email-masked]
Subject: Re: [72attendees] Hotel performance ....

Regards,

Ed 

-----Original Message-----

Regards,
Jordi

Bye 6Bone. Hi, IPv6 !
http://www.ipv6day.org

---

From: Aaron Falk <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 28 Jul 2008 13:37:39 +0100

> kosher, etc.) I would love to know as would quite a few other folks.

Hi Mary-

Not an option for lunch but [1], in City Center near Trinity College,  
had a dinner menu that had many items labeled as Celiac friendly, etc.

--aaron

[1] http://www.fitzers.ie/?section=11`
_______________________________________________
72attendees mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/72attendees

---

From: "Mary Barnes" <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 28 Jul 2008 07:49:13 -0500

Aaron,

Thanks. I should note that I've had no problems at this hotel before
this lunchtime. They do have items marked for Celiac (this country is
great for that!) in the two hotel restaurants I've been to - they even
made me a nice sorbet for dessert last nite, BUT since they're not
offering ordering off the menu for lunch that I could find, lunch is the
big issue.  There are indeed quite a few places in Dublin that can
accommodate us (two great vegan/vegetarian/allergy friendly restaurants
- unfortunately, kosher doesn't seem to be big here). 

--Mary.

Okay, so now I'll get on my soapbox.  

--- general statement on this topic for this meeting ----

If they could setup a line somewhere that just has the sorts of food
many of us need, with the servers either having an ingredient list or
knowledgable about food allergies and dietary restrictions (i.e., no
chicken broth in the vegetable soup, etc.), that would be great.  

--- general request for future meetings ---

In the future, it would be wonderful if we could indicate this
information on our registrations to ensure we're all accommodated,
particularly given how far out we are from any good markets and I don't
think we're a particularly small minority In many of the group lunches I
participate in, around 20 of the folks have restrictions either due to
health reasons or personal choices.  I think the folks planning the
meetings need to consider the importance of these two reasons - I
personally become very sick (for about a week - think in terms of a bad
flu) if I inadvertently consume gluten. Other allergens just make me
very grumpy (not good for chairing a meeting).  Others I know have
anaphylactic reactions to nuts.  I would also be happy to serve as an
intermediary to the hotel/meeting planning staff to ensure there is a
good availability of the foods we need - I'm not a medical professional
but I can pretend to be one for this topic. The most amazing thing is
that this food is edible (and healthy) for everyone!

-----Original Message-----
From: Aaron Falk [mailto:[email-masked]] 
Sent: Monday, July 28, 2008 7:38 AM
To: Barnes, Mary (RICH2:AR00)
Cc: [email-masked]
Subject: Re: [72attendees] Hotel performance ....

Hi Mary-

--aaron

---

From: Alexa Morris <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 28 Jul 2008 05:54:32 -0700

All of this feedback has been shared with the appropriate hotel staff and
they are actively looking into ways to increase the efficiency of lunch
service for tomorrow onwards; they are also working to offer a wider variety
of options. They are coming back to us later this afternoon with their
proposed solutions, which will be shared with all of you as soon as
possible.

Alexa

---

From: "Ahmad Muhanna" <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 28 Jul 2008 08:00:55 -0500

I also would like to add the following: apparently the food is cooked
with a different set of standards that at least what I know of happening
in the US.

It is known that for religious reasons, some people do not eat Pork
products. I actually sent that feedback to the organizer earlier before
the meeting as a feedback saying: that my only request is for plates
which have pork products to be clearly MARKED. What I learned from
several people and one of the managers is that Pork products are fried
in the same oil pan with other meat products, like Beef and Chicken.

This means that All meat products to those who do not eat pork is not
eatable. 

Regards,
Ahmad

> [mailto:[email-masked]] On Behalf Of Barnes, 
> Mary (RICH2:AR00)
> Sent: Monday, July 28, 2008 1:28 PM
> To: Juskevicius, Ed (CAR:1A12); [email-masked]
> Cc: [email-masked]
> I had a big problem finding dietary restriction friendly 
> food. I had thought that the intent was to accommodate us as 
> noted on the materials we received at check-in. The lady I 
> finally (nicely) harassed into getting me a plain salad 
> looked at me like I had 3 heads when I mentioned my dietary 
> restrictions.
> 
> If there is a place that is serving lunch for those of us 
> with dietary restrictions (gluten-free, casein-free, 
> egg-free, vegan, vegetarian, kosher, etc.) I would love to 
> know as would quite a few other folks.  
> 
> Mary. 
> 
> I was in v6ops this morning, and then stayed a bit longer to 
> complete a few things.  I wandered over to the Kingswood 
> Suite (above the Terminal
> Room) at 12:30 p.m., and waited less than 1 minute to pay for 
> my choice of sandwich, dessert and beverage.  There were many 
> different sandwich choices (pre-made, sitting on plates, 
> under plastic wrap), and lots of sandwiches all around the room.
> 
> Regards,
> 
> Ed 
> 
> This morning the breakfast line was over 15 minutes, and 
> right now, I waited almost 25 minutes to get a sandwich. 
> Really not acceptable service, I hope they can radically 
> improve it by tomorrow, I don't think we have so many extra 
> minutes to wait in the queues and never have seen this long 
> waiting time in any previous IETF.
> 
> Regards,
> Jordi
> 
> 
> 
> 
> 
> 
> privileged or confidential. The information is intended to be 
> for the use of the
> individual(s) named above. If you are not the intended 
> recipient be aware that any disclosure, copying, distribution 
> or use of the contents of this information, including 
> attached files, is prohibited.
> 
> 
>

---

From: Michael Widerkrantz <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 28 Jul 2008 15:11:12 +0200

> kosher, etc.) I would love to know as would quite a few other folks.  

Please tell me about it as well. I keep my web page updated:

  http://hack.org/mc/vegietf.html

Today, lunch was pot noodles (with water from the kettle in a fellow
vegan's room), roasted soy beans and mixed nuts bought from a grocery
store in Rathcoole. I'm hoping for a better dinner.

-- 
M.C. Widerkrantz
Stickybit AB, http://www.stickybit.se/
_______________________________________________
72attendees mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/72attendees

---

From: Alexa Morris <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 28 Jul 2008 06:55:59 -0700

The hotel has committed to taking several additional measures in an effort
to improve the lunch experience for attendees.

In order to provide a variety of options, the menu will change each day.
Each afternoon during the 1500-1520 break they will deliver the next day's
menu to us and we will post it on the whiteboard that is adjacent to the
registration tables.

They are also adding another food/beverage station to the Kingswood Suite
tomorrow, for a total of four stations. This should help to alleviate any
traffic problems.

In addition, I've been informed that credit cards are accepted at each
station, and that beverages are also available at each station. Credit cards
definitely take more time to process than cash and there isn't much to be
done about that; however, it is faster to charge your meal to your sleeping
room if that is an option for you.

Regards,
Alexa

---

From: Marshall Eubanks <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 28 Jul 2008 10:17:54 -0400

> room if that is an option for you.

My experience in charging to the room is that they want the little  
booklet they give you with
your room number.

Marshall

---

From: Derek Atkins <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 28 Jul 2008 11:20:10 -0400

> booklet they give you with

That was not the case for me.  I gave the lovely woman my number, she
asked my name, I said yes.  That was it.

> Marshall

-derek

-- 
Derek Atkins
Principal Software Engineer

PGP Corporation
4 Farragut Ave
Somerville, MA  02144

+1 617 623 3745 | [email-masked]

PGP Corporation -- Rest Secured.(TM)

PGP Fingerprint:
0FEE 5EA1 FF22 E0C9 4FFE
631A 9232 FF93 1C80 1DB7

This email and any attachments thereto may contain private,
confidential, and privileged material for the sole use of the intended
recipient. Any review, copying, or distribution of this email (or any
attachments thereto) by others is strictly prohibited. If you are not
the intended recipient, please contact the sender immediately and
permanently delete the original and any copies of this email and any
attachments thereto.

---

From: "Soininen Jonne (NSN FI/Espoo)" <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 28 Jul 2008 18:48:40 +0300

Hello everybody,

I think it is important to know that the standards for cooking food
including dietary and religious considerations. I personally have quite a
few allergies, which makes traveling to some countries (like US) a pain.
However, you just have to learn in which countries you have to be careful
and for which reasons.

The number of religions, dietary, and other restrictions we represent are
huge in our community. The hotels and restaurants in different countries
reflect (or don't reflect) these things quite differently. So, you have to
be very careful with food if you have food restrictions.

Cheers,

Jonne.

-- 
Jonne Soininen
Nokia Siemens Networks

Tel: +358 40 527 46 34
E-mail: [email-masked]

---

From: "Mary Barnes" <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 28 Jul 2008 11:33:36 -0500

Hi Jonne,

Your points are entirely valid.  

My primary concern with this current meeting location is that there is
not reasonable access to food that we can safely eat.  I am in sessions
ALL day from 8am until 7 or 8 pm which makes "running" to a market not
at all feasible.  Also, traveling internationally dramatically decreases
the amount of food that I can bring from home, so I start the meeting
week with a deficit of safe foods. 

And, yes, folks like us have to be very careful, but when it means
missing a meal (and of course, break snacks are entirely out of the
question), I don't think it's acceptable. 

Most chefs are trained to deal with these things - in my view, it would
not be that difficult for us to provide our restrictions to them and
have a specific area (certain tables, certain restaurant) to get our
meals, where we are able to be very specific about the food we need.
For me, the risk of cross contamination at buffets makes those not the
best choices at all. 

Mary. 

-----Original Message-----
From: Soininen Jonne (NSN FI/Espoo) [mailto:[email-masked]] 
Sent: Monday, July 28, 2008 10:49 AM
To: Muhanna, Ahmad (RICH1:2H10); Barnes, Mary (RICH2:AR00); Juskevicius,
Ed (CAR:1A12); ext JORDI PALET MARTINEZ
Cc: [email-masked]
Subject: Re: [72attendees] Hotel performance ....

Hello everybody,

I think it is important to know that the standards for cooking food
including dietary and religious considerations. I personally have quite
a few allergies, which makes traveling to some countries (like US) a
pain.
However, you just have to learn in which countries you have to be
careful and for which reasons.

The number of religions, dietary, and other restrictions we represent
are huge in our community. The hotels and restaurants in different
countries reflect (or don't reflect) these things quite differently. So,
you have to be very careful with food if you have food restrictions.

Cheers,

Jonne.

On 7/28/08 4:00 PM, "ext Ahmad Muhanna" <[email-masked]> wrote:

> with a different set of standards that at least what I know of 
> happening in the US.
> 
> products. I actually sent that feedback to the organizer earlier 
> before the meeting as a feedback saying: that my only request is for 
> plates which have pork products to be clearly MARKED. What I learned 
> from several people and one of the managers is that Pork products are 
> fried in the same oil pan with other meat products, like Beef and
Chicken.
>> [mailto:[email-masked]] On Behalf Of Barnes, Mary 
>> (RICH2:AR00)
>> thought that the intent was to accommodate us as noted on the 
>> materials we received at check-in. The lady I finally (nicely) 
>> harassed into getting me a plain salad looked at me like I had 3 
>> heads when I mentioned my dietary restrictions.
>> 
>> If there is a place that is serving lunch for those of us with 
>> dietary restrictions (gluten-free, casein-free, egg-free, vegan, 
>> vegetarian, kosher, etc.) I would love to know as would quite a few 
>> other folks.
>> 
>> Mary. 
>> 
>> I was in v6ops this morning, and then stayed a bit longer to complete

>> choice of sandwich, dessert and beverage.  There were many different 

>> waited almost 25 minutes to get a sandwich.
>> Really not acceptable service, I hope they can radically improve it 
>> by tomorrow, I don't think we have so many extra minutes to wait in 
>> the queues and never have seen this long waiting time in any previous

>> IETF.
>> This electronic message contains information which may be privileged 
>> or confidential. The information is intended to be for the use of the

--
Jonne Soininen
Nokia Siemens Networks

Tel: +358 40 527 46 34

---

From: Michael StJohns <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 28 Jul 2008 08:33:30 -0400

One of the things I'd like to suggest is getting the hotel to be open and ready to serve at 11:15 rather than still messing around at 11:30 and not serving until 11:35 or so.  In the carvery that triggered a pretty long line for a good 20-30 minutes.

---

From: James M Galvin <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 28 Jul 2008 16:15:45 +0100

-- On Monday, July 28, 2008 10:17 AM -0400 Marshall Eubanks 
<[email-masked]> wrote regarding Re: [72attendees] Hotel 
Lunch Service --

> My experience in charging to the room is that they want the
> little booklet they give you with
> your room number.

So far I've charged everything I've done on the premises to my room 
and nobody has questioned me.  However, I noticed at lunch today 
when I gave my room number the cashier entered it on the register, 
asked for my name, and then after checking the screen said, "Thank 
you."  Presumably my name came up on the screen for a check.  Still 
wanted a signature though.

Jim

---

From: Kurt Erik Lindqvist <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 28 Jul 2008 19:33:12 +0200

(not meant as a direct reply to Mike)

>
> One of the things I'd like to suggest is getting the hotel to be  
> open and ready to serve at 11:15 rather than still messing around at  
> 11:30 and not serving until 11:35 or so.  In the carvery that  
> triggered a pretty long line for a good 20-30 minutes.

I'll contribute the observation that the Lemongrass at the Golf hotel  
on Saturday nigth asked us when the sessions for each day ended so  
they would be prepared. I also notice d it was only half full at lunch  
today.

But if people want to walk there, that would ofcourse mean you would  
have to be out in the fres^W heat-wave and walk for five minutes. But  
don't worry we are soon back in Minneapolis.

Best regards,

- kurtis -

---

From: "Arnoud van Wijk" <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 28 Jul 2008 22:03:42 +0100

That is what I did..
Charged my room.
Of course just skip the tip line, since we drag our carcasses to the
food/beverage station and that is not serving.

/Arnoud

-----Original Message-----
From: [email-masked] [mailto:[email-masked]] On
Behalf Of Alexa Morris
Sent: maandag 28 juli 2008 14:56
To: [email-masked]
Subject: [72attendees] Hotel Lunch Service

Regards,
Alexa

---

From: Randall Gellens <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 29 Jul 2008 04:47:51 -0700

At 7:50 AM -0400 7/28/08, Ed Juskevicius wrote:

>  There were many different sandwich
>  choices (pre-made, sitting on plates, under plastic wrap)

True, there are a variety of sandwiches.  There are, however, 
absolutely no salads at all.

-- 
Randall Gellens
Opinions are personal;    facts are suspect;    I speak for myself only
-------------- Randomly-selected tag: ---------------
Perhaps the real reason why we have always been able to champion free
speech in this country is that we know perfectly well that hardly
anybody has got anything to say, and that no one will listen to anyone
that has.       -- Editorial, Daily Mail [British Paper, date unknown]
_______________________________________________
72attendees mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/72attendees

---

From: Randall Gellens <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 29 Jul 2008 04:51:23 -0700

At 7:27 AM -0500 7/28/08, Mary Barnes wrote:

>  The lady I finally (nicely) harassed into
>  getting me a plain salad

My experience has been that everyone insists salads are available at 
someone else's station, just not theirs.  I don't think anyone 
actually paid any attention to the question, however.

-------------- Randomly-selected tag: ---------------
How is the world ruled and how do wars start?  Diplomats tell lies to
journalists and then believe what they read.             --Karl Kraus
_______________________________________________
72attendees mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/72attendees

---

From: Dean Willis <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 29 Jul 2008 13:09:09 +0100

> absolutely no salads at all.

I observed one fellow ask for a salad in the Grosvenor buffet line,  
and they whipped him one up quickly.

--
Dean

---

From: Janet P Gunn <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 29 Jul 2008 08:15:09 -0400

If you go the back way, it is less than 10 minutes to Avoca, and they have 
a wide assortment of salads, both sit down and take away.

Janet