Subject: [72attendees] SIP blocked in hotel rooms ....

From: Luca Martini <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 28 Jul 2008 17:06:35 -0600

Can we get SIP ( port 5060 udp/tcp ) unblocked in our hotel rooms ?

Assuming that the network might at some point work ;-) it would be nice 
not to have to come to the lobby to make phone calls ...

Thanks.
Luca

_______________________________________________
72attendees mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/72attendees

---

From: Richard Pruss <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 29 Jul 2008 00:10:11 +0100

IPSEC/UDP is blocked as well.

On 29/07/2008, at 12:06 AM, Luca Martini wrote:

> Assuming that the network might at some point work ;-) it would be  
> nice not to have to come to the lobby to make phone calls ...
>
> Thanks.
> Luca
>

---

From: Ken Raeburn <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 29 Jul 2008 01:01:22 +0100

> IPSEC/UDP is blocked as well.

Hm, that appears to be a change.  It was working earlier for me -- in  
fact, I had a "back to my mac" ipsec tunnel up when I read your  
message.  But I tried the VPN to work, and that failed, and (after  
having to turn off BTMM to make the VPN software happy) I can't get  
BTMM up again.  It didn't work for me when I first arrived Sunday,  
then it was working, now it's not again....

Ken

---

From: Dean Willis <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 29 Jul 2008 09:56:17 +0100

> nice not to have to come to the lobby to make phone calls ...

Speaking as the SIP chair, I use Skype in such situations. They were  
not burdened by the IETF assumption that NATs don't exist.

--
Dean

---

From: Dale Worley <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 29 Jul 2008 06:24:30 -0400

> Can we get SIP ( port 5060 udp/tcp ) unblocked in our hotel rooms ?

SIP is working for me.  (I'm in 31xx.)  Although I'm registering to a
PBX through their Ingate Siparator, which does far-end NAT compensation.

Perhaps this is a consequence of what someone observed, that the outside
IP addresses of TCP connections aren't always the same, and your NAT
compensation is defeated?

Dale

---

From: Luca Martini <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 29 Jul 2008 07:34:56 -0600

> not burdened by the IETF assumption that NATs don't exist.
SIP works perfectly if you do not block port 5060 .... ;-)
As soon as i have time to bring up my own asterisk server , you can bet 
that I'll be using something like port 110 ...

Luca