Subject: [72attendees] vegetarian in Dublin, so far

From: Scott Brim <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 25 Jul 2008 12:29:31 +0100

The cheap and good way to go is Cornucopia, which is exactly around the 
back of the tourist information center.  Govinda's is supposed to be 
good but it's not central and I haven't been there.  The Farm is organic 
  but not vegetarian ... they have some vegetarian entrees.  I'm a cheap 
guy so I even bought a veggie burger (takeaway) at Subway on Nassau Street.
_______________________________________________
72attendees mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/72attendees

---

From: darragh <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 25 Jul 2008 13:00:23 +0100

Scott Brim wrote:
> The cheap and good way to go is Cornucopia, which is exactly around 
> the back of the tourist information center.  Govinda's is supposed to 
> be good but it's not central and I haven't been there.  The Farm is 
> organic  but not vegetarian ... they have some vegetarian entrees.  
> I'm a cheap guy so I even bought a veggie burger (takeaway) at Subway 
> on Nassau Street.
Govinda's is a great choice for Vegetarian/Vegan food and decently 
priced too.

Location
http://www.govindas.ie/restaurants/index.htm

menu and prices
http://www.govindas.ie/menu/index.htm

Darragh

---

From: "Mary Barnes" <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 26 Jul 2008 09:34:55 -0500

Cornucopia is also great for folks with allergies - they label things as GF (Gluten-Free), Yeast Free (YF), Dairy Free (DF), NF (nut free) etc. I'm not sure about kosher. But it is the best place so far. There is also a little nicer place "Café Fresh" located in the Powerscourt Townhouse shopping center (3rd floor) that also is all veggie and GF, CF, etc even for desserts.  Powerscourt is just down Johnson's Ct, which is one block North of Wicklow (Cornucopia).  

Also, both Dunne's and Mark's and Spencer have food stores in the basement floors - salads, veggies, houmous, fruits, veggies, etc. - many in individual servings. They are fairly well labeled as to allergens, but again, I don't see Kosher labeling. 

Mary. 

-----Original Message-----
From: [email-masked] [mailto:[email-masked]] On Behalf Of Scott Brim
Sent: Friday, July 25, 2008 6:30 AM
To: [email-masked]
Subject: [72attendees] vegetarian in Dublin, so far

The cheap and good way to go is Cornucopia, which is exactly around the back of the tourist information center.  Govinda's is supposed to be good but it's not central and I haven't been there.  The Farm is organic
  but not vegetarian ... they have some vegetarian entrees.  I'm a cheap guy so I even bought a veggie burger (takeaway) at Subway on Nassau Street.
_______________________________________________
72attendees mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/72attendees
_______________________________________________
72attendees mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/72attendees

---

From: "Spencer Dawkins" <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 26 Jul 2008 11:54:17 -0500

It wouldn't solve everyone's problems (especially not all at once), but I 
found Saggart (down the hotel drive and hang a right, and keep walking past 
the church), and then found The Anvil  (it's built into the side of the Old 
Forge Bed and Breakfast - take a right at the Saggart Pharmacy, and it's 
about 100 feet).

I can vouch for the the CHICKEN curry - and saw VEGETARIAN curry on the menu 
at the same place.

A quick price check - I think the prices at the Anvil are about the same for 
dinner as lunch prices are, at the higher-end restaurants at the hotel, but 
the Anvil does have a lunch menu, and the lunch curry was about 14 euros, 
which I'm remembering being cheaper than the least expensive hotel 
restaurants.

So walking to Saggart may be worthwhile, but if you need meals that are a 
LOT less expensive, the Roma takeway is about the same price range as 
McDonalds (and it's next door to the Saggart pharmacy).

A seating check - it looks like it holds about 50, which makes reports from 
the other dining spots in Saggart more interesting ("another centralized 
solution that doesn't scale").

Best wishes and good hunting.

Spencer

----- Original Message ----- 
From: "Mary Barnes" <[email-masked]>
To: "Scott Brim" <[email-masked]>; <[email-masked]>
Sent: Saturday, July 26, 2008 9:34 AM
Subject: Re: [72attendees] vegetarian in Dublin, so far

Cornucopia is also great for folks with allergies - they label things as GF 
(Gluten-Free), Yeast Free (YF), Dairy Free (DF), NF (nut free) etc. I'm not 
sure about kosher. But it is the best place so far. There is also a little 
nicer place "Café Fresh" located in the Powerscourt Townhouse shopping 
center (3rd floor) that also is all veggie and GF, CF, etc even for 
desserts.  Powerscourt is just down Johnson's Ct, which is one block North 
of Wicklow (Cornucopia).

Also, both Dunne's and Mark's and Spencer have food stores in the basement 
floors - salads, veggies, houmous, fruits, veggies, etc. - many in 
individual servings. They are fairly well labeled as to allergens, but 
again, I don't see Kosher labeling.

Mary.

-----Original Message-----
From: [email-masked] [mailto:[email-masked]] On 
Behalf Of Scott Brim
Sent: Friday, July 25, 2008 6:30 AM
To: [email-masked]
Subject: [72attendees] vegetarian in Dublin, so far

The cheap and good way to go is Cornucopia, which is exactly around the back 
of the tourist information center.  Govinda's is supposed to be good but 
it's not central and I haven't been there.  The Farm is organic
  but not vegetarian ... they have some vegetarian entrees.  I'm a cheap guy 
so I even bought a veggie burger (takeaway) at Subway on Nassau Street.
_______________________________________________
72attendees mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/72attendees
_______________________________________________
72attendees mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/72attendees

---

From: Michael Widerkrantz <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 26 Jul 2008 22:34:44 +0200

I took the liberty of compiling some of the knowledge about veg food
at the IETF 72 in a web page:

  http://hack.org/mc/vegietf.html

I'm a vegan myself. If there are any other vegans coming to Dublin,
mail me offlist and perhaps we can go look for food together.

-- 
M.C. Widerkrantz
http://hack.org/mc/

---

From: Paul Hoffman <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 26 Jul 2008 20:25:27 +0100

+1 on the Anvil. I too had chicken, but if the veges that came with 
it are any indication of how good their vege fare is, you will enjoy 
it (modulo the sticker shock if you're an American). Friendly service 
and wonderful food.

NOTE HOWEVER: they really want reservations for dinner, particularly 
if you're showing up after 7;30. I talked to the server about what to 
expect from IETFers, and she assured me they are happy to have us, 
but they often fill up on reservations after 8:00 during this part of 
the summer.

--Paul Hoffman, Director
--VPN Consortium

---

From: "Spencer Dawkins" <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 26 Jul 2008 16:52:56 -0500

I should also mention that the Anvil is closed on Sundays... probably good 
to check that for other places, too.

Spencer

> +1 on the Anvil. I too had chicken, but if the veges that came with it are 
> any indication of how good their vege fare is, you will enjoy it (modulo 
> the sticker shock if you're an American). Friendly service and wonderful 
> food.
>
> NOTE HOWEVER: they really want reservations for dinner, particularly if 
> you're showing up after 7;30. I talked to the server about what to expect 
> from IETFers, and she assured me they are happy to have us, but they often 
> fill up on reservations after 8:00 during this part of the summer.