Subject: [72attendees] Looking for some Cisco IOS help

From: Derek Atkins <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 28 Jul 2008 06:33:02 -0400

Hi,

I've got a network issue back at my home network and I'm hoping I can
find a kindly person with IOS clue to help me.  In particular, I'm
trying to get my cisco to tell me about traffic flows across it.  If I
had a Linux box I'd just run tcpdump, but my network is all switched so
I'd only see broadcast traffic.

Clearly my home network isn't engineered well enough for me to debug
problems like this -- I clearly need a management system on the same
non-switched link as the router -- but alas it's a bit hard for me to do
that from here.  So, if anyone can help me I'd appreciate the assistance.

Thanks!

-derek
-- 
Derek Atkins
Principal Software Engineer

PGP Corporation
4 Farragut Ave
Somerville, MA  02144

+1 617 623 3745 | [email-masked]

PGP Corporation -- Rest Secured.(TM)

PGP Fingerprint:
0FEE 5EA1 FF22 E0C9 4FFE
631A 9232 FF93 1C80 1DB7

This email and any attachments thereto may contain private,
confidential, and privileged material for the sole use of the intended
recipient. Any review, copying, or distribution of this email (or any
attachments thereto) by others is strictly prohibited. If you are not
the intended recipient, please contact the sender immediately and
permanently delete the original and any copies of this email and any
attachments thereto.

_______________________________________________
72attendees mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/72attendees

---

From: Paul Aitken <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 28 Jul 2008 12:07:09 +0100

Derek,

> trying to get my cisco to tell me about traffic flows across it.

Depending which IOS version you have, use either:

   NetFlow: http://cisco.com/go/netflow

   Flexible NetFlow: http://cisco.com/go/fnf

Ping me offline for more info.

-- 
Paul Aitken
Cisco Systems Ltd, Edinburgh, Scotland.
_______________________________________________
72attendees mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/72attendees

---

From: Derek Atkins <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 28 Jul 2008 07:15:47 -0400

> Ping me offline for more info.

Thanks.  I got pointed to:

 ip flow ingress
 ip route-cache flow

and then

  sh ip cache flow

This seems to have mostly given me the clues I needed (although it
wasn't quite what I was looking for, but it helped sufficiently).

Thanks!

-derek

PGP Corporation
4 Farragut Ave
Somerville, MA  02144

PGP Fingerprint:
0FEE 5EA1 FF22 E0C9 4FFE
631A 9232 FF93 1C80 1DB7

---

From: Paul Aitken <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 28 Jul 2008 12:34:00 +0100

Derek,

> Thanks.  I got pointed to:

Netflow.

>  ip route-cache flow

Old netflow.

>   sh ip cache flow

To see the recorded data.

Also "ip flow-export ..." to send the data to an off-box collector for 
further analysis.

> wasn't quite what I was looking for, but it helped sufficiently).

Flexible NetFlow (FNF) lets you configure exactly what you want to 
monitor, rather than being bound by NetFlow's fixed 7-tuple.