Subject: [72attendees] counting listeners

From: Aaron Falk <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 30 Jul 2008 09:31:10 +0100

Joel-

Is there a way to see if there are any listeners to the live audio  
stream from a wg/rg?  Are there real-time statistics available for the  
streams?

--aaron
_______________________________________________
72attendees mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/72attendees

---

From: Joel Jaeggli <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 30 Jul 2008 01:47:55 -0700

> stream from a wg/rg?  Are there real-time statistics available for the 

In real time you can go to

http://limestone.uoregon.edu:8001

and icecast2 will report current streams available and participant 
counts including a peak that's measured since the establishment of the 
current incoming tcp stream for that source (generally once a day 
sometimes more often).

icecast2 stats are collected, we can crunch them post-facto

---

From: Aaron Falk <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 30 Jul 2008 10:51:03 +0100

On Jul 30, 2008, at 9:47 AM, Joel Jaeggli wrote:

>> stream from a wg/rg?  Are there real-time statistics available for  
>> the streams?
>
> counts including a peak that's measured since the establishment of  
> the current incoming tcp stream for that source (generally once a  
> day sometimes more often).
>

So, if I want to know if there are any listeners I look at the audio  
URL on the agenda to see which stream, e.g., ietf722.mp3, then check  
the page above.  Cool!

--aaron

---

From: Mohacsi Janos <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 30 Jul 2008 14:04:28 +0200 (CEST)

Dear All,
  	Are there any procedural information available about the PGP 
keysigning session this afternoon?

Janos Mohacsi
Network Engineer, Research Associate, Head of Network Planning and Projects
NIIF/HUNGARNET, HUNGARY
Key 70EF9882: DEC2 C685 1ED4 C95A 145F  4300 6F64 7B00 70EF 9882
_______________________________________________
72attendees mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/72attendees

---

From: Sandra Murphy <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 30 Jul 2008 09:22:38 -0400 (Eastern Daylight Time)

Not that I'm ungrateful to the UOregon group for providing us with audio 
streaming and archiving.

But.

I've been hoping to compare the audio archive of Monday's meetings to my 
notes before I send the minutes I promised to the wg chair.  And so far 
the link at the bottom of http://videolab.uoregon.edu/events/ietf/ to
http://limestone.uoregon.edu/ftp/pub/videolab/media/ietf72/ shows only a
"Parent Directory" link.

Will the archives be available soon?  (Whine, whine, whine.)  (Never give 
them new features, you just give them more to complain about.)

--Sandy

On Wed, 30 Jul 2008, Joel Jaeggli wrote:

> Aaron Falk wrote:
>> Joel-
>> 
>> Is there a way to see if there are any listeners to the live audio stream 
>> from a wg/rg?  Are there real-time statistics available for the streams?
>
> and icecast2 will report current streams available and participant counts 
> including a peak that's measured since the establishment of the current 
> incoming tcp stream for that source (generally once a day sometimes more 
> often).
>

---

From: Joel Jaeggli <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 30 Jul 2008 06:29:39 -0700

Sandra Murphy wrote:
> Will the archives be available soon?  (Whine, whine, whine.)  (Never 
> give them new features, you just give them more to complain about.)

I have been lax in modifying the rsync for the recorded files. This 
evening I hope.

---

From: <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 30 Jul 2008 17:03:10 +0300

[intentionally provocative response below]
János,
I was wondering what it is, too.
>From the invitation I understood it goes on paper. For some reason which I do not quite understand (we should be preserving the environment instead of chopping wood for such reason).

The thing is that 'they' never provide proper description in the invitation, so I guess it's a private club for those who know, or those who dare.

My - probably non-sense - guess is that it works like a lottery; you pick someone's name from Santa's hat and you get to sign a message together.

Best regards: Zoltán Ördögh
E-mail: zoltan dot ordogh at nokia dot com
Phone: +358 50 386 0566

-----Original Message-----
From: [email-masked] [mailto:[email-masked]] On Behalf Of ext Mohacsi Janos
Sent: 30 July, 2008 15:04
To: [email-masked]
Subject: [72attendees] PGP keysigning procedure

Dear All,
  	Are there any procedural information available about the PGP keysigning session this afternoon?

Janos Mohacsi
Network Engineer, Research Associate, Head of Network Planning and Projects NIIF/HUNGARNET, HUNGARY Key 70EF9882: DEC2 C685 1ED4 C95A 145F  4300 6F64 7B00 70EF 9882 _______________________________________________
72attendees mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/72attendees
_______________________________________________
72attendees mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/72attendees

---

From: Mohacsi Janos <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 30 Jul 2008 16:18:17 +0200 (CEST)

> From the invitation I understood it goes on paper. For some reason which 
> I do not quite understand (we should be preserving the environment 
> instead of chopping wood for such reason).
>
> The thing is that 'they' never provide proper description in the 
> invitation, so I guess it's a private club for those who know, or those 
> who dare.
>
> My - probably non-sense - guess is that it works like a lottery; you 
> pick someone's name from Santa's hat and you get to sign a message 
> together.

In a proper PGP keysigning you check the id card also....

Regards,

Janos Mohacsi

---

From: Marshall Eubanks <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 30 Jul 2008 17:04:25 -0400

This isn't enough ?

<http://www.ietf.org/mail-archive/web/wgchairs/current/msg06326.html>

Regards
Marshall

On Jul 30, 2008, at 10:03 AM, <[email-masked]> <[email-masked] 
 > wrote:

> From the invitation I understood it goes on paper. For some reason  
> which I do not quite understand (we should be preserving the  
> environment instead of chopping wood for such reason).
>
> invitation, so I guess it's a private club for those who know, or  
> those who dare.
>
> Network Engineer, Research Associate, Head of Network Planning and  
> Projects NIIF/HUNGARNET, HUNGARY Key 70EF9882: DEC2 C685 1ED4 C95A  
> 145F  4300 6F64 7B00 70EF 9882

---

From: Jeffrey Hutzelman <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 31 Jul 2008 18:41:57 +0100

> I was wondering what it is, too.

I'm pretty sure Janos was asking for information about the specific 
procedures we would use, rather than the more general "what is it".  Since 
he managed to send in his key in time and showed up at the session, I 
presume he got the information needed.

The key-signing is nothing more or less than an opportunity to get together 
with other people who also have PGP keys for the purpose of signing each 
other's keys.  Key signatures are the basis of PGP's web-of-trust model; 
they are an assertion by the signer that the signed key actually belongs to 
a particular person.

> instead of chopping wood for such reason).

The parallel fingerprint verification scheme we use works best if, instead 
of having to manually record each 160-bit fingerprint, participants start 
with a list of fingerprints and merely have to verify that they are 
correct.  Traditionally, that list is distributed both online and on paper; 
many people prefer the paper form for various reasons.  Personally, I find 
that my on-paper notes about which fingerprints are valid are much harder 
for a remote attacker to modify than an electronic version would be. 
Others may show up to the session without a laptop; hard as it is to 
believe, some IETF attendees still do not bring laptops.

> invitation, so I guess it's a private club for those who know, or those

I'm sorry you feel that way.  It's certainly not a private club; key 
signings are open to anyone who wants to participate.  However, I've 
basically assumed (as did Ted Ts'o, when he was running these) that the 
only people who will want to participate are those who have or are thinking 
about generating PGP keys, and that for _those_ people, the phrase "PGP key 
signing party" is sufficient description, and the rest of the invitation 
enough detail to successfully participate.  Perhaps that assumption is 
invalid; if so, please let me know what the invitation could have said that 
would make it clearer what is going on.

> My - probably non-sense - guess is that it works like a lottery; you pick
> someone's name from Santa's hat and you get to sign a message together.

Not at all -- we use a procedure designed to scale linearly for even a 
large number of participants, while allowing everyone to potentially get a 
signature from everyone else.  No hats are involved.

-- Jeffrey T. Hutzelman (N3NHS) <[email-masked]>
   Carnegie Mellon University - Pittsburgh, PA