Subject: [75all] Panel at IETF 75 -- Securing the DNS: Towards a more secure Internet

From: Russ Housley <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 09 Jul 2009 10:15:51 -0400

Dear colleagues:

Following the success of the Internet Society's IPv6 panel held at 
the IETF 74 venue, I want to make you aware of panel event to be held 
during the IETF 75 week in Stockholm, Sweden:

Securing the DNS: Towards a more secure Internet
   11:45am - 12:45pm (UTC+2), Tuesday 28 July
   Clarion Sign Hotel, Stockholm, Sweden (opposite the IETF 75 venue)
   Light lunch provided; registration is free

The Domain Name System (DNS) is one of the critical operational 
elements of the Internet, creating a "human environment" that allows 
names to be mapped to host addresses across the Internet. But the DNS 
was established with no inherent security mechanisms, making it 
vulnerable to certain malicious activities, such as DNS spoofing, 
where attackers make false assertions about DNS data in order to 
misdirect traffic to unwanted sites.

Efforts are underway on several fronts, developing better Internet 
security technologies and practices through open standards 
development and the collaborative work of developers, operators, and 
industry. One key effort is DNSSEC (short for DNS Security 
Extensions) - a set of open standards developed to authenticate DNS 
data using public key infrastructure to digitally sign DNS records, 
providing a high level of security to core transactions. It does not 
solve all online security issues, but it is an important step towards 
a more secure online experience.

Leaders from across the Internet community are actively engaged in 
work to drive the broad deployment of DNSSEC and other standards for 
continuous improvements in Internet security.

In this session - designed to make these issues accessible to a 
broader audience - the Internet Society's Leslie Daigle will lead a 
distinguished panel of some of the world's leading developers, 
administrators, and operators of Internet infrastructure. What are 
their experiences? What problems have they overcome? And what do they 
see as the next steps towards a more robustly secure Internet?

All are welcome to participate, but seats are limited, so please 
register in advance. More information, including free online registration at:

    http://www.isoc.org/dns

For those unable to attend, an live audiocast will be available - 
check the website above closer to the date for details.

Russ Housley
IETF Chair