Subject: Re: [78attendees] WARNING: Taxis in Brussels

From: "Fahd A. Batayneh" <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 1 Aug 2010 19:40:07 +0300

I am not sure about taxis from Brussels Nord to the airport, but one thing
for sure that I know is that taxis from Brussels Central Station to the
airport and vice versa are a 10-15 minute drive, and cost 40 Euros. I have
never come accross taxis in the whole of Europe that agree to run for 5
Euros

Cheers,

-- FAB
Sent from Amman, Jordan

On Fri, Jul 30, 2010 at 9:01 PM, Adam Roach <[email-masked]> wrote:

>  For the few of you who haven't made the transition yet...
>
> I just arrived in Brussels via train. When we got here, the wait for the
> transfer to the (10-minute) airport train was 54 minutes, so two of us
> decided to take a taxi out to the airport area. The total drive took about 8
> minutes, and it was our understanding -- albeit through a bit of a language
> barrier -- that the driver expected the trip to be approximately €5.00 each
> (which is in line with what we were paying for cabs in and around
> Maastricht).
>
> I was dropped off first. My traveling companion just called from his nearby
> hotel to let me know that the driver demanded €50.00 when they got there. To
> top it off, the cab driver claimed to be out of receipts, so we're now stuck
> with a €50.00 charge that we can't be reimbursed for.
>
> The car was quite credibly a taxi, with official-looking signage and a
> permanently-attached lighted "Taxi" sign on top. It was so convincing that
> I'm still not certain whether we were swindled, or whether the taxis in the
> the area really are that expensive. But any rational analysis of the price
> keeps pushing be back toward this being a shake-down.
>
> The take-away lesson here -- and it's one that I've known, but never
> thought would need to apply to somewhere like Brussels -- is to make certain
> you locate and examine whatever licensing certificate a purported taxi
> driver has been issued by the local authorities before you get in the cab.
>
> /a
> _______________________________________________
> 78attendees mailing list
> [email-masked]
> https://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/78attendees
>

---

From: "WORLEY, Dale R (Dale)" <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 2 Aug 2010 19:12:36 -0400

________________________________________
From: [email-masked] [[email-masked]] On Behalf Of Adam Roach [[email-masked]]

I just arrived in Brussels via train. When we got here, the wait for the
transfer to the (10-minute) airport train was 54 minutes, so two of us
decided to take a taxi out to the airport area. The total drive took
about 8 minutes, and it was our understanding -- albeit through a bit of
a language barrier -- that the driver expected the trip to be
approximately €5.00 each (which is in line with what we were paying for
cabs in and around Maastricht).
_______________________________________________

As a general rule, one wants to engage a taxi through a taxi dispatcher to avoid surprises.

Dale