Subject: [78attendees] Maastricht keychain and shopping cart/trolley?

From: "David A. Bryan" <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 2 Aug 2010 14:04:48 -0400

Sorry to spam the list post-meeting, but I was wondering if one of the
Europeans on the list could explain the keychain we received at the
social, and the small shopping cart symbol. Does this pop out to use
as a deposit for a shopping cart (my first guess, but it doesn't seem
to come out)? Somehow attach to a shopping cart?

I know, stupid question I'm sure, but I'm curious...

David

---

From: Ole Jacobsen <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 2 Aug 2010 11:29:06 -0700 (PDT)

Yes, indeed, it is a "fake Euro coin" that serves the same purpose as 
a real one for releasing a shopping card, hence the shopping cart logo 
on it. Kind of a "local" souvernir, but I think that makes it fun, 
it's not like you can use your PASPY card much outside Hiroshima 
either.

Ole J. Jacobsen
Editor and Publisher,  The Internet Protocol Journal
Cisco Systems
Tel: +1 408-527-8972   Mobile: +1 415-370-4628
E-mail: [email-masked]  URL: http://www.cisco.com/ipj

On Mon, 2 Aug 2010, David A. Bryan wrote:

> _______________________________________________
> 78attendees mailing list
> [email-masked]
> https://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/78attendees
>

---

From: Scott Brim <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 02 Aug 2010 15:00:09 -0400

> it's not like you can use your PASPY card much outside Hiroshima 

I've seen those shopping cart coins in other countries but I don't know
how widespread they are.  Could I give it to just about any European and
have it be useful for them?

---

From: Ole Jacobsen <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 2 Aug 2010 12:05:45 -0700 (PDT)

Well, it depends...

The "fat" UK pound coin isn't quite the same a Euro or a Norwegian 10 
Krone for that matter, and at least the idea is that your supposed to
use something with value high enough to bring the cart back, which 
raises the question of why the City of Maastricht would wish to 
promote fake coins for this purpose. Oh, well... it's raining in 
Leipzig.

Ole

Ole J. Jacobsen

---

From: Bob Hinden <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 2 Aug 2010 13:57:34 -0700

> have it be useful for them?

Probably, but I can't speak for all countries.  I have seen this used in Germany.

Bob

---

From: Huub van Helvoort <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 02 Aug 2010 23:00:00 +0200

Hi David,

You wondered:

> Does this pop out to use

Yes it comes out by pressing it at the edge closest to the
chain, it tilts and you can take it out.
The "coin" can then be used to release a shopping cart that
also would take a 1 euro or 50 eurocent coin.

Cheers, Huub.

-- 
================================================================
                   http://www.van-helvoort.eu/
================================================================
Always remember that you are unique...just like everyone else...

---

From: Stephen Hanna <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 2 Aug 2010 17:14:41 -0400

I see now that the keychain contains a magnet.
Maybe it wasn't such a good idea to toss it in
my backpack with my laptop! Well, it worked out
fine.

Thanks for a great conference,

Steve

> -----Original Message-----
> From: [email-masked] [mailto:78attendees-
> [email-masked]] On Behalf Of Huub van Helvoort
> Sent: Monday, August 02, 2010 5:00 PM
> To: [email-masked]
> Subject: Re: [78attendees] Maastricht keychain and shopping
> cart/trolley?
> 
> Hi David,
> 
> You wondered:
> 
> > Does this pop out to use

---

From: Jari Arkko <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 03 Aug 2010 15:22:39 +0300

Scott,

> have it be useful for them

Shopping carts typically take 1 or 2 Euro coins, some take 50 cent 
coins, too. The carts only care about the size of the coin, so the 
Maastricht "fake" coin should work well everywhere in the Euro area. 
(Mandatory security considerations section: 5-20 cent coins may work 
well too on some implementations, small enough to release the cart but 
not big enough to get stuck as collateral...)

Jari

---

From: Bob Hinden <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 3 Aug 2010 10:20:41 -0700

On Aug 3, 2010, at 5:22 AM, Jari Arkko wrote:

> Shopping carts typically take 1 or 2 Euro coins, some take 50 cent coins, too. The carts only care about the size of the coin, so the Maastricht "fake" coin should work well everywhere in the Euro area. (Mandatory security considerations section: 5-20 cent coins may work well too on some implementations, small enough to release the cart but not big enough to get stuck as collateral...)
> 

If I remember correctly, I think I have used a US quarter once in Germany when I didn't have a Euro handy.  It worked well enough :-)

Bob

---

From: "Spencer Dawkins" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 3 Aug 2010 20:00:23 -0500

And THIS is why internationalization considerations matter :D

>> Shopping carts typically take 1 or 2 Euro coins, some take 50 cent coins, 
>> too. The carts only care about the size of the coin, so the Maastricht 
>> "fake" coin should work well everywhere in the Euro area. (Mandatory 
>> security considerations section: 5-20 cent coins may work well too on 
>> some implementations, small enough to release the cart but not big enough 
>> to get stuck as collateral...)
>>
>
> If I remember correctly, I think I have used a US quarter once in Germany 
> when I didn't have a Euro handy.  It worked well enough :-)
>
> Bob