Subject: Re: [80attendees] CD is a chocolate?

From: Richard Barnes <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 4 Apr 2011 22:59:43 -0400

Apparently you guys aren't as hungry as me -- mine had been devoured by
Tuesday!

On Apr 4, 2011 10:47 PM, <[email-masked]> wrote:

 Me too.

 ------------------------------
*From:* [email-masked] [mailto:[email-masked]] *On
Behalf Of *Hui Deng
*Sent:* Tuesday, April 05, 2011 11:45 AM
*To:* [email-masked]
*Subject:* [80attendees] CD is a chocolate?

Surprise me,

-Hui

_______________________________________________
80attendees mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/80attendees

---

From: Hui Deng <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 5 Apr 2011 11:21:30 +0800

Today's laptop doesn't have the cd-rom driver as before? but it seems yours
have it.
I try to see what's in it after return back, then get a big surprise.

-Hui

2011/4/5 Richard Barnes <[email-masked]>

> *From:* [email-masked] [mailto:[email-masked]]
> *On Behalf Of *Hui Deng

---

From: Randall Gellens <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 4 Apr 2011 21:28:02 -0700

At 10:59 PM -0400 4/4/11, Richard Barnes wrote:

>  Apparently you guys aren't as hungry as me -- mine had been 
> devoured by Tuesday!

I'd left mine on the desk in the room, with some other papers from 
registration.  The housekeeper felt I was too sloppy and put 
everything neat and tidy in the area at the back of the desk (behind 
the little metal bar) with some hotel pamphlets.  I forgot about it 
and didn't notice it there.  It was only after heading back that I 
recalled being given a CD, and realized I'd accidently left it 
behind.  I should have opened it as soon as I got it!

-- 
Randall Gellens
Opinions are personal;    facts are suspect;    I speak for myself only
-------------- Randomly selected tag: ---------------
It is bad luck to be superstitious.

---

From: Ole Jacobsen <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 4 Apr 2011 22:35:10 -0700 (PDT)

The housekeepers had odd ideas of what should be tidied, thrown away, 
or kept. They took my toothpaste and deodorant, but after I complained
they actually returned both on the final morning!

Ole

Ole J. Jacobsen
Editor and Publisher,  The Internet Protocol Journal
Cisco Systems
Tel: +1 408-527-8972   Mobile: +1 415-370-4628
E-mail: [email-masked]  URL: http://www.cisco.com/ipj
Skype: organdemo

On Mon, 4 Apr 2011, Randall Gellens wrote:

> registration.  The housekeeper felt I was too sloppy and put everything neat
> and tidy in the area at the back of the desk (behind the little metal bar)
> with some hotel pamphlets.  I forgot about it and didn't notice it there.  It
> was only after heading back that I recalled being given a CD, and realized I'd
> accidently left it behind.  I should have opened it as soon as I got it!
> 
> -- 
> Randall Gellens

---

From: Sven Ubik <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 5 Apr 2011 08:44:15 +0200 (CEST)

Have you tried to put it into your desktop PC? You might get some 
interesting messages.

Sven

On Tue, 5 Apr 2011, Hui Deng wrote:

> Today's laptop doesn't have the cd-rom driver as before? but it seems 
> yours have it. I try to see what's in it after return back, then get a 
> big surprise.
>
> -Hui

---

From: Tim Chown <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 5 Apr 2011 10:42:56 +0100

On 5 Apr 2011, at 04:21, Hui Deng wrote:

> Today's laptop doesn't have the cd-rom driver as before? but it seems yours have it.

My CD was apparently opened by customs, since the seal on the case was broken when I got home.   I bet *they* had a surprise!

Tim

---

From: Sandra Murphy <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 5 Apr 2011 12:05:21 -0400 (Eastern Daylight Time)

> they actually returned both on the final morning!

That boggles the mind.  Where were the items, I wonder, in the interim? 
Oh, the mental image of the search that was able to find them!

--Sandy

---

From: "Carlos M. Martinez" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 05 Apr 2011 13:15:26 -0300

They must have a very sophisticated tracking system in place, able to
answer questions like "where the deodorant confiscated from room XYZ
thursday morning is currently stored?" :-)

I think we have a good base here for 2012's April Fools entry :-) The
"Simple Confiscated Item Tracking Protocol" (SCITP)

cheers

Carlos

On 4/5/11 1:05 PM, Sandra Murphy wrote:
> That boggles the mind.  Where were the items, I wonder, in the
> interim? Oh, the mental image of the search that was able to find them!
>
> --Sandy
>
>
>
>>
>> Ole
>>
>> Ole J. Jacobsen
>>>> devoured by
>>> everything neat

-- 
Carlos M. Martinez
LACNIC I+D
PGP KeyID 0xD51507A2
Phone: +598-2604-2222 ext. 4419

---

From: Joe Touch <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 05 Apr 2011 09:20:04 -0700

FWIW, although I appreciatd the chocolate CD, a more modern format may 
be useful in the future - e.g., a chocolate USB stick.

The USB format permits a wider range of form factors (i.e., more 
chocolate), and less plastic waste. The latter ought to be at least a 
useful consideration ;-)

Joe

---

From: David Singer <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 05 Apr 2011 09:34:58 -0700

On Apr 5, 2011, at 9:05 , Sandra Murphy wrote:

> That boggles the mind.  Where were the items, I wonder, in the interim? Oh, the mental image of the search that was able to find them!

I'm betting on the Confiscated Articles Reliable Transport protocol, also known as the CART.

David Singer
Multimedia and Software Standards, Apple Inc.

---

From: Henk Uijterwaal <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 05 Apr 2011 19:21:45 +0200

> thursday morning is currently stored?" :-)

The algorithm is quite simple.  Housekeepers are supposed to put everything
that doesn't belong to the guest and clearly isn't trash, in a plastic bag
after the guest checked out.  The hotel keeps it for a while in case the
guest asks for it.  Some years ago, one of the kids left his teddy bear in
a hotel room.  It took me 1 phone call to have it returned, room number and
day of departure were sufficient.

Henk.

-- 
------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Henk Uijterwaal                           Email: henk(at)uijterwaal.nl
RIPE NCC                                  http://www.xs4all.nl/~henku
                                          Phone: +31.6.55861746
------------------------------------------------------------------------------

There appears to have been a collective retreat from reality that day.
                                 (John Glanfield, on an engineering project)

---

From: "Carlos M. Martinez" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 05 Apr 2011 15:49:03 -0300

+1 :-))

---

From: Randall Gellens <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 6 Apr 2011 23:26:09 -0700

>  interim? Oh, the mental image of the search that was able to find them!

Perhaps the housekeepers didn't actually confiscate Ole's deodorant 
and toothpaste, but instead "tidied" the room so well that he 
couldn't locate them.  Surely all of us have experienced occasions 
when we couldn't find something, even though it turned out to be very 
close at hand.  Then, after he complained, the housekeeping manager 
launched an inquiry which eventually yielded the staff member who had 
cleaned his room on the day in question, and after a day or so of 
thinking (and searching Ole's room while he was out), she succeeded 
in retrieving them, but they had been safe in his room the whole time.

-------------- Randomly selected tag: ---------------
There's only one corner of the universe you can be certain of
improving that's your own self.               --Aldous Huxley

---

From: Ole Jacobsen <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 7 Apr 2011 00:45:14 -0700 (PDT)

I can categorically state that this is not true.

The confiscated items were not held in my room, they were delivered 
to me by housekeeping after I complained bitterly. Luckily, I run a
"redundant system" which involves a second set of (mini) carry-on
toiletries, but this is already getting into TMI...

Ole

On Wed, 6 Apr 2011, Randall Gellens wrote:

> Perhaps the housekeepers didn't actually confiscate Ole's deodorant and
> toothpaste, but instead "tidied" the room so well that he couldn't locate
> them.  Surely all of us have experienced occasions when we couldn't find
> something, even though it turned out to be very close at hand.  Then, after he
> complained, the housekeeping manager launched an inquiry which eventually
> yielded the staff member who had cleaned his room on the day in question, and
> after a day or so of thinking (and searching Ole's room while he was out), she
> succeeded in retrieving them, but they had been safe in his room the whole
> time.
> 
> --