Subject: [86attendees] Florida Tolls

From: jerry wollscheid <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 3 Mar 2013 16:45:26 -0800 (PST)

I live in the area and have just today driven the routes to and from the airport.  There are cash toll booths along the route from the airport to the convention site.  There are 2 toll routes available. One uses the south exit of the airport (Rt 417 toll). It has 3 toll booths and costs $4.00. The other is the north exit (Rt 528 toll to I-4) and costs $2.25.  Rt 528 passes International Drive, SeaWorld and Disnetworld exits and has more congestion.

---

From: Paul Kyzivat <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 04 Mar 2013 13:06:49 +0800

On 3/4/13 8:45 AM, jerry wollscheid wrote:
> I live in the area and have just today driven the routes to and from the
> airport.  There are cash toll booths along the route from the airport to
> the convention site.  There are 2 toll routes available. One uses the
> south exit of the airport (Rt 417 toll). It has 3 toll booths and costs
> $4.00. The other is the north exit (Rt 528 toll to I-4) and costs
> $2.25.  Rt 528 passes International Drive, SeaWorld and Disnetworld
> exits and has more congestion.

$4 for just a few miles in suburbia?

Ah, welcome to the consequences of a low tax red state!

	Paul

---

From: Yoav Nir <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 4 Mar 2013 05:08:35 +0000

Thanks.  Do the booths accept cash, or are you supposed to bring 16 quarters with you?

From: [email-masked] [mailto:[email-masked]] On Behalf Of jerry wollscheid
Sent: Monday, March 04, 2013 2:45 AM
To: [email-masked]
Subject: [86attendees] Florida Tolls

Email secured by Check Point

---

From: Derek Atkins <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 4 Mar 2013 04:51:11 -0800

> Ah, welcome to the consequences of a low tax red state!

Nah, it's a "tax the tourist" state.  QUITE different.  Not all taxes
are low, only those that most residents pay.

Seriously, Florida taxes things tourists do.  Hotels, Restaurants,
Rental Cars, ...  But taxes on e.g. groceries are low.  And of course
there is no income tax.

> 	Paul

-derek

> _______________________________________________
> 86attendees mailing list
> [email-masked]
> https://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/86attendees

---

From: jerry wollscheid <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 4 Mar 2013 04:55:43 -0800 (PST)

I beleive they all have human toll collectors for all booths on both roads. I use a transponder so I don't actually go through the booths but they have cash lanes. There is a website that has a lot of info. https://www.oocea.com/

Hakuna Matata
Jerry and Eric

________________________________
 From: Yoav Nir <[email-masked]>
To: jerry wollscheid <[email-masked]>; "[email-masked]" <[email-masked]> 
Sent: Monday, March 4, 2013 12:08 AM
Subject: Re: [86attendees] Florida Tolls

  
From:[email-masked] [mailto:[email-masked]] On Behalf Of jerry wollscheid
Sent: Monday, March 04, 2013 2:45 AM
To: [email-masked]
Subject: [86attendees] Florida Tolls

---

From: "John Levine" <[email-masked]>
Date: 9 Mar 2013 04:50:10 -0000

I figured I'd take the proactive approach, so I visited the Sunpass
web site on Sunday and ordered a toll pass, which arrived today.  It
has suction cups and can easily be moved from car to car, including
rentals.

For people who are renting a car and want to do more or less the same
thing, the passes are supposed to be available at the Publix
supermarket which is less than four miles from the Orlando airport,
at 4501 Hoffner Ave.  Go north from the airport on SR 436, turn left
(west) on Hoffner Ave / SR 15.  (No tolls, if you were wondering.)

There are two kinds of toll pass, a little sticker for $5 which can't
be moved once you stick it on the car's windshield, and the kind I got
with the suction cups for $25.

I agree that the latter type is not likely to be a very good deal
unless you plan to use it on subsequent trips to Florida, but with
rental places charging between $3 and $8 per day for the pass, the $5
model is a bargain.

https://www.sunpass.com/rentalcar

R's,
John

---

From: Peter Yee <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 08 Mar 2013 21:14:50 -0800

I picked up my rental car today.  They told me the Sunpass transponder
was in my license plate frame, so there wouldn't be much I could do to
disable it if I carried my own transponder.  National charges about $3
per day for the service plus tolls, but caps the charge at just under
$15 -- effectively 5 days' fees.  Those who want to use their own
transponders should check with their rental car companies to see what
can be done about removing the frame transponder or choosing a car that
doesn't have one.  I didn't inquire about my options since I'm here
for two weeks and the fee I'll pay isn't utterly onerous across that
period.

		-Peter

---

From: "John Levine" <[email-masked]>
Date: 9 Mar 2013 05:44:20 -0000

In article <[email-masked]> you write:
>disable it if I carried my own transponder.

I think someone is confused.  Sunpass is quite clear about the kinds
of transponders that exist, and they all mount on the windshield.

For cars without transponders, several toll roads take a picture of
the license plate and use that to figure out who to bill.  The Sunpass
web site says that National does toll-by-plate.  So, yeah, they use a
thing in the license plate frame, which would be the license plate.

The Sunpass web site says quite firmly that if you use your pass in a
rented car, you MUST enter the car's description and plate number in
your online account, along with the dates you have the car.  Now we
know why.

R's,
John

---

From: Peter Yee <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 08 Mar 2013 21:56:57 -0800

Sounds like National doesn't give very clear explanations, but I
appreciate yours!

(There are systems with actual license plate frame transponders.)

		-Peter

---

From: Tony Hansen <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 09 Mar 2013 08:45:20 -0500

I took the "southern route" out of the airport. There were two toll 
booths, both for $1.50, and there were attendants in the toll booths who 
could make change.

I saw a lot of exits along the way, though, where the amount due was 
some amount up to $1.00 and there was no attended tool booth (meaning 
that quarters would have been required to use that exit). Since I wasn't 
going in those directions, these didn't affect me.

     Tony Hansen

---

From: "Romascanu, Dan (Dan)" <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 10 Mar 2013 13:07:58 +0000

Same experience - one just needs to use the right-hand deviation of the route and there are attended booths who accept cash, give receipts and even gave me change to the 10$ bill which happened to be the smallest in my wallet. 

Dan

> -----Original Message-----
> From: [email-masked] [mailto:[email-masked]]
> On Behalf Of Tony Hansen
> Sent: Saturday, March 09, 2013 3:45 PM
> Cc: [email-masked]

---

From: Olaf Kolkman <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 10 Mar 2013 09:14:27 -0400

And if you take the cash lanes you will not be charged for $15 rental-car-transponder tax. Even when the tax is based on plate recognition. 

It was all fairly clearly explained

----
Composed on a mobile device: more typos guaranteed.

---

From: Floris Van den Abeele <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 10 Mar 2013 11:29:16 -0400

The method where the state of Florida flashes your number plates at 
each toll booth (you can drive through the Easypass booths, which have 
noticeable shorter queues) and contacts your rental car company to 
charge your credit card, costs an additional $2.75 for every toll booth 
you pass. According to Alamo these additional charges have a maximum of 
15 USD. As I understand it, this is a different method than the 
transponder that you can put on your windshield (allthough they do have 
similar pricing).

You can also drive through the cash lanes at the toll booths this way, 
but you won't get a receipt (as I figured out yesterday...). Not paying 
toll is fined by 100 USD (they flash your license plate, but they will 
first try to contact your car rental company as explained above). 
Disclaimer: this information is tentative at best, feel free to correct 
me where necessary.

Regards,
Floris

---

From: "Romascanu, Dan (Dan)" <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 10 Mar 2013 15:33:06 +0000

> but you won't get a receipt (as I figured out yesterday...).

Actually you do. 

I am renting from Alamo as well, got the same explanation, and decided to go on my own, as I do not expect to drive toll roads excepting the first and last day. I went through the two (x 1.5$ toll booths, got receipts from both). Of course, I used the human attended lines, not the 'pay exact change' ones which are un-attended. 

Dan

> From: Floris Van den Abeele [mailto:[email-masked]]
> Sent: Sunday, March 10, 2013 5:29 PM
> To: Olaf Kolkman
> Cc: [email-masked]; Tony Hansen; Romascanu, Dan (Dan)
> The method where the state of Florida flashes your number plates at each
> toll booth (you can drive through the Easypass booths, which have
> > And if you take the cash lanes you will not be charged for $15 rental-
> car-transponder tax. Even when the tax is based on plate recognition.
> >
> >> Same experience - one just needs to use the right-hand deviation of
> the route and there are attended booths who accept cash, give receipts
> and even gave me change to the 10$ bill which happened to be the
> smallest in my wallet.
> >>
> >> Dan
> >>
> >>
> >>
> >>
> >>> booths, both for $1.50, and there were attendants in the toll booths
> >>> who could make change.
> >>>
> >>> some amount up to $1.00 and there was no attended tool booth
> >>> (meaning that quarters would have been required to use that exit).
> >>> Since I wasn't going in those directions, these didn't affect me.
> >>>
> >>>      Tony Hansen

---

From: Floris Van den Abeele <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 10 Mar 2013 11:37:18 -0400

I should have clarified: you can also pay toll by getting your license 
plate flashed at the cash/receipt lanes but you won't get a receipt 
(obviously). Of course you can also pay cash, provided that you 
actually have cash at hand...

Floris