Subject: Re: [86attendees] Social: Gluten Free (was ETF86 Social Info)

From: Randall Gellens <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 12 Mar 2013 19:02:13 -0700

At 9:04 PM +0000 3/12/13, Jason Livingood wrote:

>  However, a number of the choices should basically be GF

I suspect people with food allergies might point out that "should 
basically be xxx free" is meaningless, because "should" is useless 
when applied to ingredients in prepared food (you might be surprised 
to find out just what is in commercial food -- it can be quite 
different than home made food) and "basically" is likewise 
meaningless to someone with allergies -- either the food has it or 
not.

By the way, I was in Australia recently and was asked if I wanted 
"chicken salt."  No one working at the establishment had any idea 
what was in it, but Google turned up some recipes and commercial 
versions.  It's basically salt with chicken fat and various other 
stuff (often MSG), but some commercial versions include whale sperm. 
I have no idea why, and frankly am surprised because I'd have assumed 
that whale sperm was too expensive to waste on an everyday condiment. 
It also commonly has dairy solids and wheat products.

-- 
Randall Gellens
Opinions are personal;    facts are suspect;    I speak for myself only
-------------- Randomly selected tag: ---------------
Dr. Beverly Crusher to Wesley Crusher as he is about to beam down to
begin his journey with the Traveler into other dimensions: "Be sure to
dress warmly on those other planes of existence."