Subject: Re: [87attendees] Seven-bit shirts?

From: Tim Shepard <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 01 Aug 2013 04:51:51 -0400

> But IMO the 5 7-bit characters per 36 bit words was the weirdest.

IMO, radix-50 (aka squoze) was even weirder.  

I encountered it in on 36-bit machines where it was used to encode
six alphanumeric characters into 32-bits, leaving 4 bits left over
for type and flag bits in symbol tables used for linking together
seperately assembled (or compiled) modules.

And for the math savants who read the above two paragraphs and
thought "Wait, that can't possibly work because 50^6 is more than
3 times larger than 2^32.", you need to know that the "50" in
"radix-50" is in base 8, and it works just fine because 40^6 is
indeed a bit less than 2^32.

			-Tim Shepard
			 [email-masked]

---

From: Scott Brim <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 1 Aug 2013 11:13:56 +0200

http://tools.ietf.org/html/rfc1924

---

From: Robert Moskowitz <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 01 Aug 2013 12:47:32 +0200

> http://tools.ietf.org/html/rfc1924

AH, I miss Robert Elz's wit.

---

From: Ted Lemon <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 1 Aug 2013 16:04:44 +0000

> IMO, radix-50 (aka squoze) was even weirder.  

radix-50 was a very interesting puzzle for me in 7th grade.