Subject: [87attendees] Recommended IOS app for jabber

From: "Rosen, Brian" <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 7 Aug 2013 20:14:12 +0000

I'm in the market for a better app for using in the IETF jabber rooms on my iPad.  What recommendations do you have?  I tried a couple and didn't like any of them.

Brian

Sent with Good (www.good.com)

---

From: Barry Leiba <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 8 Aug 2013 00:20:05 +0200

> I'm in the market for a better app for using in the IETF jabber rooms on my
> iPad.  What recommendations do you have?  I tried a couple and didn't like
> any of them.

If you tell us what you don't like about them and what you'd prefer,
perhaps we can make more directed suggestions and comparisons, apart
from just saying what we use.

The only app I've found that supports the chat rooms well is
Talkonaut, so that's what I use.  What others have you found?  Apps
such as IM+ don't seem to support chat rooms in jabber.

The main problem with any chat app is that iOS limits what the app is
allowed to do in the background, and how long it can do it, so if
you're also trying to take notes, look at slides, check email, and/or
look at a draft or RFC, you will time out and get logged off.
Talkonaut is good about logging back in, but it's annoying to bounce
in and out of the chat rooms.

I'm hoping that iOS 7 will fix that....

Barry