Subject: Re: [87attendees] Anyone using Fedora 18 on the IETF wifi?

From: Hugo Salgado <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 01 Aug 2013 09:02:12 +0200

On 07/31/2013 12:18 PM, Chris Elliott wrote:
> OK--We did modify the 5Ghz radio to meet german wifi requirements. Come
> by the NOC when you have a chance and we'll find a way to isolate
> ourselves sufficiently to determine if this change (which is on every
> IETF AP here) is the issue.

Problem solved with this new kernel build:
<http://koji.fedoraproject.org/koji/taskinfo?taskID=5686291>

It wasn't related to the radio change. The problem persisted without
this new kernel. But thanks a lot for your effort!

Hugo

---

From: Chris Elliott <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 1 Aug 2013 13:05:37 +0200

Chris,

Been having fun reading specs. This spec, first released October 2012, and
revised May 2013, suggests that 5765 is perfectly valid:

http://www.erodocdb.dk/docs/doc98/official/pdf/rec7003e.pdf

Look at page 8, middle of page:

i 5725-5875 MHz 25 mW e.i.r.p. No requirement No spacing

So the only requirement is to limit power to 25 mW.

Wikipedia offers a much easier digestion of this information here:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_WLAN_channels#5.C2.A0GHz_.28802.11a.2Fh.2Fj.2Fn.2Fac.29.5B15.5D

I haven't been able to find what the status was before October 2012, but
Cisco IOS software seems to think the channel (based on compile date of
various IOS images and what they do when you set the world-mode country
code to DE).

Chris.

On Wed, Jul 31, 2013 at 9:56 PM, Chris Wright <[email-masked]> wrote:

> * Chris Elliott ([email-masked]) wrote:
> by
> > the NOC when you have a chance and we'll find a way to isolate ourselves
> > sufficiently to determine if this change (which is on every IETF AP here)
> > is the issue.
>
> Apparently 5765 MHz is either not allowed for DE or the Linux regulatory
> db is not correct.  In either case, the Linux behaviour is wrong[1]
> (shouldn't hang), and can be more tolerant[2].  Both of these things have
> been fixed (test kernel available in the bz[3]).  I've successfully
> tested a local build against an AP that Chris Elliot set up for testing.
>
> thanks,
> -chris
>
> [1] http://article.gmane.org/gmane.linux.kernel.wireless.general/111396
> [2] http://article.gmane.org/gmane.linux.kernel.wireless.general/111394
> [3] https://bugzilla.redhat.com/show_bug.cgi?id=981445#c33
>

-- 
Chris Elliott
[email-masked]