Subject: [88attendees] use of Jabber

From: "Howard, Lee" <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 4 Nov 2013 17:11:15 -0500

Second or third meeting in a row, I've tried to find a jabber server on
which I can create an account so I can participate remotely.  I've started
clicking through public lists of servers, and after four fails, decided it
might not just be me.  Previous accounts have gone stale, or I've
forgotten the password, and I can't re-enable.

It occurs to me that if I'm having this much trouble using a tool I've
used before, then newcomers might also be having trouble. And being new,
they might be less willing to look ignorant by asking for help.

Anyone have a running server with registration and configuration
instructions in English?  Or other pointers to help?

Thanks,

Lee

This E-mail and any of its attachments may contain Time Warner Cable proprietary information, which is privileged, confidential, or subject to copyright belonging to Time Warner Cable. This E-mail is intended solely for the use of the individual or entity to which it is addressed. If you are not the intended recipient of this E-mail, you are hereby notified that any dissemination, distribution, copying, or action taken in relation to the contents of and attachments to this E-mail is strictly prohibited and may be unlawful. If you have received this E-mail in error, please notify the sender immediately and permanently delete the original and any copy of this E-mail and any printout.

---

From: joel jaeggli <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 4 Nov 2013 14:18:52 -0800

> instructions in English?  Or other pointers to help?

google seems to do a pretty good job of keeping their service up.

> _______________________________________________
> 88attendees mailing list
> [email-masked]
> https://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/88attendees

---

From: Derek Atkins <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 4 Nov 2013 14:24:18 -0800

> google seems to do a pretty good job of keeping their service up.

Which will work fine until the rest of the XMPP world changes over to
require S2S encryption sometime next year.  (C.f. Peter StAndre's talk
at Appsarea this morning)

-derek

---

From: "Howard, Lee" <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 4 Nov 2013 17:25:49 -0500

>google seems to do a pretty good job of keeping their service up.

Google has a service?
This page https://www.ietf.org/jabber/  leads me here http://xmpp.net/ to
find a place to set up an account.  I had no idea Google supported Jabber.

Doing a Google search for "Google jabber" doesn't tell me much, like what
account to use or how to configure any jabber client or how to then point
it at an IETF jabber room.

I'm really good at RTFM, if I can find TFM.

Lee

---

From: Dominik Bay <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 4 Nov 2013 14:27:12 -0800

> google seems to do a pretty good job of keeping their service up.

I tend to disagree. After the introduction of Google Hangout and
announcement of changes to their XMPP service [1], I see more and more
connection issues to their GTalk platform.

I can recommend a Jabber server run by a hackerspace in Germany:

Host: jabber.chaostreff-dortmund.de
Port: 5222 (TLS encrypted)

You can register a Jabber-ID via in-band registration with
[email-masked]. If you've issues with this server I can provide a
shortcut to the admin-team of this one.

I can also add a Jabber-ID on etherkiller.de for everyone interested,
but this one does not provide in-band registration. It's rock-solid, I
use it daily ;-)

[1]:
http://www.zdnet.com/google-moves-away-from-the-xmpp-open-messaging-standard-7000015918/

---

From: Jason Fesler <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 4 Nov 2013 14:27:46 -0800

> I'm really good at RTFM, if I can find TFM.

Use your @gmail address and credential with your favorite XMPP client.
 I'm using it with my domain account hosted over there; and using
"Messages" (os x 10.8) successfully.

-- 
 Jason Fesler, email/jabber <[email-masked]> resume: http://jfesler.com
 "Give a man fire, and he'll be warm for a day;
 set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life."

---

From: "Peter Saint-Andre (psaintan)" <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 4 Nov 2013 23:08:45 +0000

> at Appsarea this morning)

That's the plan anyway. See:

https://github.com/stpeter/manifesto

I also run the jabber.org service, but we disabled registration temporarily back in August. I'll make sure we have it working again before the London meeting.

Peter

---

From: "Howard, Lee" <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 4 Nov 2013 18:43:46 -0500

>"Messages" (os x 10.8) successfully.

Documenting, for posterity.  It would be handy if someone could add this
under https://www.ietf.org/jabber/

In Adium:
File > Add Account > XMPP (Jabber)
Jabber ID: Google account.[1]
Password: Your Google password.
OK.  Authentication should just happen, though I removed Options, Connect
Server

Then to join a room:
File > Join Group Chat
Make sure you select that Google (or other Jabber) account
Chat room name:  (usually the name of the WG, but confirm by looking at
the agenda)
Server: jabber.ietf.org
Handle: your name

I hope somebody else finds this helpful.  Thanks for the help.

Lee

[1] Note that it is possible to create a Google account without a gmail
address.

---

From: "Peter Saint-Andre (psaintan)" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 5 Nov 2013 00:41:01 +0000

> OK.  Authentication should just happen, though I removed Options, Connect

Please understand that, according to media reports, Google will eventually (perhaps in May 2014?) disable its support for XMPP (or the ability to interact with non-Google services over XMPP) at the Google Talk service and Google Apps-hosted domains. It might help if someone from Google could verify the truth or falsity of such reports, so that IETFers don't come to depend on the ability to join IETF chatrooms from IM addresses at Google services.

Peter

---

From: Harald Alvestrand <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 05 Nov 2013 04:24:38 +0100

> OK.  Authentication should just happen, though I removed Options, Connect

I recommend generating an Application Specific Password for your Google
account rather than using your login password.
That way, you can revoke the Jabber password alone if needed.

This, however, requires turning on 2-step verification with your Google
account.

-- 
Surveillance is pervasive. Go Dark.