Subject: Re: [88attendees] Fwd: Your recent stay at Hyatt Regency Vancouver

From: Randall Gellens <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 20 Nov 2013 17:58:34 -0800

At 12:00 AM -0500 11/16/13, John R Levine wrote:

>   I used their wired network.  Other than the annoying banners that 
> it inserted into web pages it worked pretty well.

You didn't tunnel web access over a VPN or ssh tunnel?

--
Randall Gellens
Opinions are personal;    facts are suspect;    I speak for myself only
-------------- Randomly selected tag: ---------------
I suppose when it gets to that point, we shan't know how it does it.
    --Alan Turing

---

From: Randall Gellens <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 20 Nov 2013 17:58:59 -0800

At 4:08 AM +0000 11/16/13, Jakob Heitz wrote:

>   When they cleaned my room, they noticed I left a carton of milk on 
> the table, so they brought me a fridge.

That's service!

-------------- Randomly selected tag: ---------------
It works better if you plug it in.

---

From: Randall Gellens <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 20 Nov 2013 18:02:32 -0800

At 10:19 PM -0500 11/15/13, John R Levine wrote:

>>    I'd like to see them to have a decent size pool, but given the space...
>
>    The Fairmont across the street has nice a pool long enough to 
> swim laps, where I never saw anyone else swimming, just using the 
> hot tub,

I consider the Fairmont to be a very good chain.  Any of them that I 
have stayed at were very nice and their staff has always treated me 
as if I was a top-tier elite.  However, I was told their pool is 50 
feet by 20 feet, or 15 meters by 6 meters.  This is not nearly long 
enough for lap swimming in my experience (YMMV).  One really wants 25 
meters, but can make do with 20 if one is willing to constantly turn.

>    And the elevators have a button in the elevator for each floor, 
> as God intended.

I should point out that such elevators have their own set of 
problems, some of which could in theory be alleviated in a central 
control system, but neither of the two such systems I've used (Hyatt 
Regency Vancouver and Silken Diagonal Barcelona) did so.  I'm 
referring of course to the excruciating experience of stopping at 
every floor.  A standard elevator has no defense against this, at 
least in response to people selecting each floor (it could in theory 
dispatch elevators to alternating or separated floors).  A central 
control system could potentially optimize for travel time by 
assigning adjacent or close floors to different elevators.  I wonder 
if any do?

>    Oh. and the coffee from the in-room Keurig machines wasn't bad, 
> particularly considering that they didn't charge for it.

Glad to hear they have good coffee.  How are the rooms?

-------------- Randomly selected tag: ---------------
You are wise, witty, and wonderful, but you spend too much time reading
this sort of trash.

-------------- Randomly selected tag: ---------------
Reporter, n.:
A writer who guesses his way to the truth and dispels it with a
tempest of words.     --Ambrose Bierce, "The Devil's Dictionary"