Subject: Re: [88attendees] Apple power cable and power plug swap/giveaway in Vancouver

From: Toerless Eckert <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 4 Nov 2013 00:20:57 -0800

Nice job on the swap-meet. If i'd know earlier, i'd thrown a bunch of
redundant US plugs into the mix.

If folks are actually missing country specific adapters, i can also
highly recommend to just get a cheap IEC 60320/C7 to country specific
wall socket cable at any electrics store in country. In the US/EU
preferrably 2-prong.  The two prong gets you into a lot more wall
sockets than the three prong (especially in EU), and EU 2-prong also
fits in switzerland. And during travel, cable IMHO is always better
than the plug due to distance. And 2-prong cables are cheap and lightweight.

At home/office i use the 3-prong cables from apple though because
they're better against ground loop problems than 2 prong (including the
2 prong plugs). During travel, it doesn't matter that much (just run on 
battery during some VoIP call with ground-loop audio issues).

On Sun, Nov 03, 2013 at 04:59:43PM -0800, Stuart Cheshire wrote:
> On Tue, Oct 22, 2013 at 8:42 AM, Ole Jacobsen <[email-masked]> wrote:
> 
> >
> > Attention Apple users:
> >
> > You may recall that Stuart Cheshire suggested we organize a cable
> > and plug "swap" in Vancouver. Those white square power adapters
> > come with a power cable and a "corner plug" which is specific to
> > the country/region in which you purchase your Apple product.
> >
> 
> Thanks for sending out this reminder Ole.
> 
> I've created a wiki page where people can offer/request what they have and
> what they'd like to get:
> 
> <http://www.ietf.org/registration/MeetingWiki/wiki/88appleplugswap>
> 
> Stuart Cheshire

> _______________________________________________
> 88attendees mailing list
> [email-masked]
> https://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/88attendees

-- 
---
Toerless Eckert, [email-masked]
Cisco NSSTG Systems & Technology Architecture
SDN: Let me play with the network, mommy!

---

From: Yoav Nir <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 4 Nov 2013 08:40:56 +0000

Next meeting is in the UK, where 2-prong plugs don't work. BS 1363 sockets have shutters that block the live and neutral holes unless a pin is inserted into the ground hole. I have an adapter with a retractable plastic ground prong.

---

From: Keith Mitchell <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 04 Nov 2013 12:46:31 -0500

On 11/04/2013 03:40 AM, Yoav Nir wrote:
> Next meeting is in the UK, where 2-prong plugs don't work. BS 1363 
> sockets have shutters that block the live and neutral holes unless a 
> pin is inserted into the ground hole. I have an adapter with a 
> retractable plastic ground prong.

Don't try this at home kids, but if a suitably shaped (preferably
insulated !) implement is temporarily inserted into the UK earth pin
hole to open the gate, EU 2-pin round plugs will work in the other two
square pin-holes. Obviously not recommended for devices that need an
earth, and for all sorts of other reasons...

>> highly recommend to just get a cheap IEC 60320/C7 to country 
>> specific wall socket cable at any electrics store in country.

> On 11/04/2013 01:01 AM, Hosnieh Rafiee wrote: My laptop is Lenovo and
> not Mac :-(

Amazingly there is some interoperability between regular IEC C7/C8
plugs and Apple ones... Thanks Ole.

Keith

---

From: Dominik Bay <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 4 Nov 2013 11:15:01 -0800

I added 3-pin/hole cables to the wiki, maybe Lenovo or other users are
interested.