Subject: [88attendees] GST rebates available for non-residents of Canada

From: "Marc Erickson" <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 4 Nov 2013 23:15:36 -0800

Only available for purchases of $50 CAD each or more with a total purchase
amount of $200 CAD or more before taxes.  Short term accommodations are
eligible.  It is for individuals only.

The form is here:

http://www.service-brokers.com/forms/gst176-06e.pdf

The pamphlet RC4031 Tax Refund for Visitors to Canada is here:

http://www.isaca-wpg.org/PublicPages/PCM2006/GSTRefundInformation.pdf

Marc

 --
Vancouver Computers Examiner
 <http://www.examiner.com/x-34009-Vancouver-Computers-Examiner>
http://www.examiner.com/x-34009-Vancouver-Computers-Examiner
Open Salon
 <http://open.salon.com/blog/marc_erickson>
http://open.salon.com/blog/marc_erickson
"...the whole idea of keep everyone afraid, and they'll consume."  - Marilyn
Manson
"For a successful technology, reality must take precedence over public
relations, for nature cannot be fooled." - Richard Feynman
"What are the facts? Again and again and again - what are the facts? Shun
wishful thinking, ignore divine revelation, forget what "the stars
foretell," avoid opinion, care not what the neighbors think, never mind the
unguessable "verdict of history" - what are the facts, and to how many
decimal places? You pilot always into an unknown future; facts are your
single clue. Get the facts!" - Robert A. Heinlein
"Opinion is free but facts are sacred." - C. P. Scott via Stephen Rees

---

From: John R Levine <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 4 Nov 2013 23:38:48 -0800 (PST)

> eligible.  It is for individuals only.

GST visitor rebates ended in 2007 except for certain tour packages which I 
don't think apply here.

http://www.taxtips.ca/gst/gstvisitorrebate.htm

Regards,
John Levine, [email-masked], Taughannock Networks, Trumansburg NY
"I dropped the toothpaste", said Tom, crestfallenly.

---

From: "Marc Erickson" <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 4 Nov 2013 23:45:32 -0800

My bad.  :-(

There are still some rebate programs available, but most attending this
meeting won't qualify.
http://www.cra-arc.gc.ca/tx/bsnss/tpcs/gst-tps/rbts/gnrl/menu-eng.html
http://www.cra-arc.gc.ca/visitors/

Stupid outdated websites...  grrrr!

Marc

-----Original Message-----
From: John R Levine [mailto:[email-masked]] 
Sent: Monday, November 04, 2013 11:39 PM
To: Marc Erickson
Cc: [email-masked]
Subject: Re: [88attendees] GST rebates available for non-residents of Canada

Regards,

---

From: John R Levine <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 5 Nov 2013 08:34:10 -0800 (PST)

> There are still some rebate programs available, but most attending this

If you're really dying to get your GST back, it turns out that anyone can 
set up a GST account, even if you don't live in Canada, but I wouldn't 
recommend it just to get back IETF taxes.

Also note that since we were here last time, B.C. separated out the HST 
back into GST and PST, and you can't reclaim PST.  :(:(

Regards,

---

From: Simon Perreault <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 05 Nov 2013 09:00:12 -0800

> back into GST and PST, and you can't reclaim PST.  :(:(

Out of curiosity, why is there only GST on restaurant checks, and not PST?

Simon
-- 
DTN made easy, lean, and smart --> http://postellation.viagenie.ca
NAT64/DNS64 open-source        --> http://ecdysis.viagenie.ca
STUN/TURN server               --> http://numb.viagenie.ca

---

From: John R Levine <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 5 Nov 2013 09:16:31 -0800 (PST)

> Out of curiosity, why is there only GST on restaurant checks, and not PST?

Evidently, because you are a teetotaller. There is 10% PST on alcohol, 
none on food, even resto meals.

For more details, see:

http://www.sbr.gov.bc.ca/documents_library/bulletins/pst_119.pdf

Regards,

---

From: "Marc Erickson" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 5 Nov 2013 10:27:20 -0800

PST is not applied to food - it's considered essential.  GST is also not
applied to food, but restaurant meals are not considered essential.

Marc

-----Original Message-----
From: [email-masked] [mailto:[email-masked]] On
Behalf Of Simon Perreault
Sent: Tuesday, November 05, 2013 9:00 AM
To: [email-masked]
Subject: Re: [88attendees] GST rebates available for non-residents of Canada

Simon
-- 
DTN made easy, lean, and smart --> http://postellation.viagenie.ca
NAT64/DNS64 open-source        --> http://ecdysis.viagenie.ca
STUN/TURN server               --> http://numb.viagenie.ca
_______________________________________________
88attendees mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/88attendees