Subject: [89attendees] Getting to the Hilton Metropole.

From: Warren Kumari <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 31 Jan 2014 10:02:06 -0500

I traveled from IAD to the London Hilton Metropole this week for
another meeting, here are some notes....

[ WARNING ]: Use caution - This route includes a train!

Getting into London:
Take the Heathrow Express train - bought tickets online. For some
reason it didn't like my Visa card (failed with a "We cannot process
this at the moment"), used an Amex instead.
You can get an Express Saver Return for 34GBP, or a Business First
Return for 52GBP.
Business First sounds much nicer, but really isn't worth the
difference - the ride is around 20 minutes.
Heathrow Express emails you a ticket, print it out and keep it handy
(don't bury it in your luggage!) . There are lots of signs for
Heathrow Express in the airport -- if you arrive in Terminal 1, walk
out through customs, walk across the arrivals hall and take the
elevators down to the platform.

Get off at Paddington station - it is the last stop. If you take the
Express version of the train, it's also the only stop! Paddington
station is, of course, where the Browns met Paddington bear - this
event is memorialized with a statue of Paddington. If you'd like to
see this historic point, walk through the glass doors under the sushi
sign, he's sitting on his luggage, near the escalator.
Paddington station also has the only store devoted entirely to
Paddington bear, and is also a drop-off point for the 2014 Marmalade
competition.

Getting from Paddington to the Hilton:
You could take a cab, but the hotel is 0.4mile away, and an easy, flat
walk. Took me <7 minutes.
Google Maps link: http://goo.gl/maps/XIAE7

Walk out onto Praed street - it's the "main" entrance - basically
continue walking in the same direction the train was going, up a ramp
/ closed road.
Turn left when you get onto the actual road. You will walk past
Garfunkels bar and a Mercure hotel. On the 2nd or 3rd block, just
before the big metal gates for St Mary's, look up  -- this is where Sir
Alexander Flemming discovered Penicillium mould. Say a quick "Thanks",
life would be substantially worse without this. I would also lose my
primary excuse for keeping a messy desk.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Alexander_Fleming

Continue walking along Praed. The hotel shows up on your left, just
after a Carphone Warehouse (they sell SIMs -
http://www.carphonewarehouse.com/sims. I haven't checked if this is a
good deal). If you reach Marks&Spenser you have walked right past it.
Turn 180 degrees and walk in.

I happened to score a Business class ticket and arrived in LHR at
9:20AM, too early to checkin to the hotel. I had a meeting before
that, so I stopped in at the Star Alliance Arrivals Lounge for a
shower and some breakfast -- if you are arriving early and can get
access, I strongly recommend doing this (you will arrive less smelly
and we will all thank you).
http://www.loungeguide.net/wiki/u/London_(LHR)_Star_Alliance_Terminal_1_Arrivals_Lounge

Note: This is what *I* did, doesn't mean it's the best / fastest /
cheapest / prettiest / simplest / shortest / most efficient, etc (see,
I've been on attendees@ before...)

W

---

From: Colin Doyle <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 31 Jan 2014 07:06:21 -0800

For those of you that want to go paperless, I took the email confirmation
that the Heathrow Express website sent me and just cropped it down to the
schedule and barcode and it worked just fine.

Good thing, too, since the HE app is worthless.

C

-- 

Colin Doyle, CCNA, F5 ASP/ATSP, Juniper JES
Director of Network Services
Verilan, Inc.
7327 SW Barnes Rd. #215
Portland, OR 97225

+1 503.810.2129 [mobile]
[email-masked] [email]
cdoyle.verilan [skype]
www.verilan.com [website]

This e-mail contains proprietary information and may be confidential. If
you are not the intended recipient of this e-mail, you are hereby notified
that any dissemination, distribution or copying of this message is strictly
prohibited. If you received this message in error, please delete it
immediately.
On Jan 31, 2014 9:02 AM, "Warren Kumari" <[email-masked]> wrote:

> _______________________________________________
> 89attendees mailing list
> [email-masked]
> https://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/89attendees
>

---

From: Toby Moncaster <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 31 Jan 2014 15:06:34 +0000

inline

> http://www.loungeguide.net/wiki/u/London_(LHR)_Star_Alliance_Terminal_1_Arrivals_Lounge

There are also showers at Paddington which are publicly accessible for a fee (I think). They are by platform 1.

---

From: Derek Atkins <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 31 Jan 2014 07:10:55 -0800

I'll be arriving with my wife and 19-month-old daughter on Saturday.  I
suspect they wont want to take the train.  Any idea how much a taxi
would cost from LHR?

-derek

---

From: Warren Kumari <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 31 Jan 2014 10:14:10 -0500

> suspect they wont want to take the train.  Any idea how much a taxi

"London taxis are available outside each terminal. The cost to central
London is £45 - £70 and the journey time is approximately one hour.
Or, book a minicab or chauffeur in advance."
http://www.heathrowairport.com/transport-and-directions/taxis-and-minicabs

---

From: Stefan Winter <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 31 Jan 2014 16:14:37 +0100

Hi,

> Paddington bear, and is also a drop-off point for the 2014 Marmalade

If you travel via King's Cross station, don't forget to stop by Harry
Potter's "Platform 9 3/4"! Makes for nice photos for the family. A
baggage cart is "halfway through".

Stefan

-- 
Stefan WINTER
Ingenieur de Recherche
Fondation RESTENA - Réseau Téléinformatique de l'Education Nationale et
de la Recherche
6, rue Richard Coudenhove-Kalergi
L-1359 Luxembourg

Tel: +352 424409 1
Fax: +352 422473

PGP key updated to 4096 Bit RSA - I will encrypt all mails if the
recipient's key is known to me

http://pgp.mit.edu:11371/pks/lookup?op=get&search=0xC0DE6A358A39DC66

---

From: "Hutton, Andrew" <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 31 Jan 2014 15:17:00 +0000

To be honest I would try to persuade your wife to take the Heathrow express train it is much quicker and more comfortable than a London Taxi unless you book a limo.

Regards
Andy

> -----Original Message-----
> From: 89attendees [mailto:[email-masked]] On Behalf Of
> Warren Kumari
> Sent: 31 January 2014 15:14
> To: Derek Atkins
> Cc: Colin Doyle; [email-masked]
> Subject: Re: [89attendees] Getting to the Hilton Metropole.
>

---

From: Toby Moncaster <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 31 Jan 2014 15:17:04 +0000

Consider using Hailo (hailocab.com) for finding/hailing black cabs in London

---

From: Colin Doyle <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 31 Jan 2014 07:19:23 -0800

My ride in was 75£

-- 

+1 503.810.2129 [mobile]

---

From: "Andrew G. Malis" <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 31 Jan 2014 10:20:06 -0500

I've never reserved in advance for the Heathrow Express, there are
automatic ticket machines just before the elevator to the platform,
plus a ticket window. Is there any advantage to buying a ticket in
advance?

On Fri, Jan 31, 2014 at 10:06 AM, Colin Doyle <[email-masked]> wrote:
> This e-mail contains proprietary information and may be confidential. If you
> are not the intended recipient of this e-mail, you are hereby notified that
> any dissemination, distribution or copying of this message is strictly

---

From: Colin Doyle <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 31 Jan 2014 07:23:51 -0800

No stop at the station and if you don't mind a little cropping, no paper
ticket.

For those of you that haven't used tree service before, you get a ticket
for a specific day and it covers any train you might catch after your
arrival.

C

-- 

+1 503.810.2129 [mobile]

On Jan 31, 2014 9:20 AM, "Andrew G. Malis" <[email-masked]> wrote:

> you

---

From: Robert Cragie <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 31 Jan 2014 15:26:09 +0000

+1. It's a more civilised experience than a cab ride and much quicker.

Robert

-----Original Message-----
From: 89attendees [mailto:[email-masked]] On Behalf Of Hutton, Andrew
Sent: 31 January 2014 15:17
To: Warren Kumari; Derek Atkins
Cc: Colin Doyle; [email-masked]
Subject: Re: [89attendees] Getting to the Hilton Metropole.

Regards
Andy

-- IMPORTANT NOTICE: The contents of this email and any attachments are confidential and may also be privileged. If you are not the intended recipient, please notify the sender immediately and do not disclose the contents to any other person, use it for any purpose, or store or copy the information in any medium.  Thank you.

ARM Limited, Registered office 110 Fulbourn Road, Cambridge CB1 9NJ, Registered in England & Wales, Company No:  2557590
ARM Holdings plc, Registered office 110 Fulbourn Road, Cambridge CB1 9NJ, Registered in England & Wales, Company No:  2548782

---

From: Ralph Droms <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 31 Jan 2014 10:30:41 -0500

Derek - there are lifts to and from the HE platforms at Heathrow and Paddington so it's quite accessible with luggage and a child; much more so than many London train and tube stations.  As Warren pointed out, it's a short walk from Paddington to the Hilton.

I've never found the trains themselves to be very crowded.

- Ralph

---

From: Derek Atkins <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 31 Jan 2014 07:35:59 -0800

We're not staying at the Hilton; we're at the Marriott Marble Arch.
Google Maps claims it is 0.7 miles from Paddington, but my wife might
want to grab a taxi for the last mile -- we'll have to see :)  I do
think I've convinced her at least to take the HE Train.

Thanks,

-derek

---

From: Toby Moncaster <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 31 Jan 2014 15:38:34 +0000

> We're not staying at the Hilton; we're at the Marriott Marble Arch.

Google Maps is right, Marble Arch is about 15 minutes gentle walk from Paddington. 

> think I've convinced her at least to take the HE Train.

The High Explosive train?

---

From: Simon Perreault <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 31 Jan 2014 10:46:54 -0500

Le 2014-01-31 10:38, Toby Moncaster a écrit :
>> I do think I've convinced her at least to take the HE Train.
>

Happy Eyeballs. The view from it is really nice.

Simon
-- 
DTN made easy, lean, and smart --> http://postellation.viagenie.ca
NAT64/DNS64 open-source        --> http://ecdysis.viagenie.ca
STUN/TURN server               --> http://numb.viagenie.ca

---

From: Ole Jacobsen <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 31 Jan 2014 08:04:44 -0800 (PST)

Showers in England are generally useless, you'll get more
water and pressure out of a spray bottle. This is largely
because of the very odd notion Brits have about plumbing.
(Don't ask, but it basically involves a tank in the attic
wherin a dead pigeon usually floats).

;-)

They have goos beer and the food has improved somewhat 
since I live there in the 1980s.

Ole

Ole J. Jacobsen
Editor and Publisher
Home: +1 415-550-9427
Cell: +1 415-370-4628
docomo: (090) 3337-9311
E-mail: [email-masked]
URL: http://organdemo.info
Skype: organdemo

---

From: Ole Jacobsen <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 31 Jan 2014 08:05:39 -0800 (PST)

That will be VERY expensive, as in 60-65 pounds.

Ole

Ole J. Jacobsen
Editor and Publisher
Home: +1 415-550-9427
Cell: +1 415-370-4628
docomo: (090) 3337-9311

---

From: RIck Alfvin <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 31 Jan 2014 12:28:56 -0500

If you are traveling with someone you can get a good deal on the Heathrow Express. 
https://www.heathrowexpress.com/duo-saver

Duo Saver

Save £18 when two adults travel together between London Paddington and Heathrow Airport with Duo Saver. This online exclusive is perfect for couples seeking the fastest way between central London and Heathrow. Book online and get an Express Saver return journey for two for just £50.

Simply enter the code DUO12 in the promotion code box to book our Duo Saver exclusive.

Terms and conditions

	• The same two adults must travel together at all times, in both directions
	• Return ticket is valid for one month from the date of first scan
	• Offer applies to Express Saver return tickets only with no upgrade to first class available
	• Offer cannot be used in conjunction with any other promotion or discount
	• Railcards cannot be used to purchase this offer
	• Non refundable

Rick Alfvin
Vice Chair, IEEE 802.15 Working Group
Vice President, Network Services
Verilan, Inc.
7327 SW Barnes Rd. #215
Portland, OR  97225
 
Mobile: +1 (585) 781-0952
Email: [email-masked]
Skype: ralfvin.verilan, [email-masked]
Website: www.verilan.com

This e-mail contains proprietary information and may be confidential. If you are not the intended recipient of this e-mail, you are hereby notified that any dissemination, distribution or copying of this message is strictly prohibited. If you received this message in error, please delete it immediately.