Subject: Re: [89attendees] Side trip to see Colossus at the National Museum of Computing?

From: Rob Pickering <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 01 Mar 2014 11:03:32 +0000

On 27/02/2014 09:44, Rob Pickering wrote:
> The fantastic folks at TNMOC have very kindly offered to open up and
> provide a tour specially for any IETF attendees that want to see
> Colossus and the rest of their collection whilst in London.
The choice that most people indicated that they could make is Friday 
afternoon (23 vs 17, 11 or 9 for the others).

I've therefore let TNMOC know that we'd like to take them up on Friday 
7th in the afternoon.

Sorry if you were one of the 10 or so folks that couldn't make it then. 
  Other public opening times are at:
http://www.tnmoc.org/visit/opening-times (basically Sat, Sun, Tue, Thu 
afternoons for the whole museum).
To visit them take the Circle Line for three stops from Edgware Road to 
Euston Square station. Walk out of the station and take a left for one 
block to Euston rail station. There are 3-ish direct London Midland 
trains an hour to Bletchley and it is then a short walk over the road to 
Bletchley Park. When you get there, you have the choice of paying £15 
entrance to the Bletchley Park Museum to see their collection of WWII 
memorabilia, or skipping this and proceeding directly to TNMOC where it 
will cost you £2 to see colossus, or £5 to tour the whole collection at 
your leisure. Just tell the folks at the gate that you want to visit TNMOC.

Working plan at the moment is to meet at Euston Station at 14:00 on 
Friday to catch the 14:13 train out to Bletchley. This takes 37 minutes 
and then it is a short walk across the road to Bletchley Park.

If you would like to come and haven't signed up yet that's fine, I would 
have thought the max reasonable number is probably about 30 in one visit 
so just add yourself to:

https://doodle.com/7cpwbxeq84p7pkv6

If you have signed up and can't make it *please* remove yourself so that 
I have a reasonable idea of numbers. I'll also figure out some food and 
beverage options at some point if there is enough interest.

--
	Rob.

---

From: Paul Kyzivat <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 03 Mar 2014 00:37:34 +0000

Rob,

I'd really like to join. But I have a session ending at 1:20 that I 
really can't miss. I guess your schedule is a little too tight for me to 
be confident of making. (Especially since I'm a neophyte at getting 
around London.) (In *theory* if everything went right I could probably 
make your schedule. But things like that rarely go that right for me.)

If there are really 3 trains per hour, would it make sense for me to 
take the train after the one you plan, and "catch up" with you all at 
the TNMOC?

BTW, I was really impressed by the Babbage Difference Engine #2 at the 
Science Museum. With a printer no less! (Yes, it was *built* in the 
1980s, but the design was original.) I wish they would demonstrate it 
operating!

	Thanks,
	Paul

On 3/1/14 11:03 AM, Rob Pickering wrote:
> _______________________________________________
> 89attendees mailing list
> [email-masked]
> https://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/89attendees
>

---

From: Rob Pickering <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 03 Mar 2014 09:32:32 +0000

On 03/03/2014 00:37, Paul Kyzivat wrote:
> really can't miss.

That's fine, I only chose the 14:13 because it seemed just about doable 
and is also the one slightly faster train an hour. There are lots of 
other options.

If anything it probably makes for a better experience if we stagger our 
arrival as we are about 30 now. An informal second "group" if a few 
folks miss the first available train is probably a good idea and I don't 
see there being too many problems with keeping things open a bit later 
but will check (they were willing to to Thu evening which would have 
been a stupidly late finish).

Train times are here: http://goo.gl/KUWJOr the only one to avoid is the 
one an hour that shows 1 change. This involves buying a more expensive 
express ticket on a train that doesn't stop at Bletchley, then 
travelling back from Milton Keynes where it does stop. It is on the 
timetable so the rail company can say there are 4 trains an hour but is 
way too much trouble, just wait for the next direct train.

--
	Rob.

---

From: Dave Cottlehuber <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 3 Mar 2014 09:34:29 +0000

> > and then it is a short walk across the road to Bletchley Park.

I assume a number of us will need to go from the conference centre to Euston;
this should be around 8-10 quid by taxi, or by tube see below: https://goo.gl/maps/zNK1C

For the tube, it looks like it will take ~ 15 minutes so I suggest meeting in the hotel lobby, at 13h40 so we have enough time to get a train ticket at the other end etc.

-- 
Dave Cottlehuber
Sent from my PDP11

---

From: David Misell <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 03 Mar 2014 09:38:32 +0000

euston, 
circle to euston sq
best is 205 bus there
18 bus back try euston cider tap where bus stops

bakerloo to charing cross then northern line

Kind Regards,
Dave

David S. Misell MSc CISSP MBCS
+44 (0)7710 380044
misell.dave (Skype)

---

From: Ted Lemon <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 3 Mar 2014 09:39:40 +0000

FWIW, I have been to the museum and highly recommend it.   They may have spruced it up a bit since I was there, but it's very bare-bones and a little bit random in a very fun way.   You get to see the Colossus, the Bombe, the fastest paper tape reader you've ever seen (if it jams, the paper catches fire), lots of old computers, and if you are lucky possibly one or more of the people who built the Colossus that is on display there (not the original Colossus).

The best part of our visit was showing up at the Colossus, asking real geek questions, and seeing the guy's eyes light up when he realized he had someone to talk to who actually could understand any interesting thing he might say.   I suspect they get a lot of people through who have no idea what a NAND gate is.

---

From: Paul Kyzivat <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 05 Mar 2014 18:57:27 +0000

> way too much trouble, just wait for the next direct train.

I see prices on the train schedule. Are those one-way, or round-trip?

If one-way, are there discounts for round-trip? For two people traveling 
together? (I didn't see mention of such things there.)

	Thanks,
	Paul

---

From: [email-masked]
Date: 5 Mar 2014 19:40:18 -0000

>> one an hour that shows 1 change. ...

>together? (I didn't see mention of such things there.)

There's a £14.50 off-peak return that shows up if you adjust the
search to include a return trip.  If you increase the number of
people, there is a groupsave off-peak ticket for four people for £29
return.

You should be able to buy them from a ticket machine or over the
counter at Euston.

R's,
John

---

From: David Misell <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 05 Mar 2014 22:51:21 +0000

i left enough network card applications on the ietf desk for y'all

Kind Regards,
Dave

> On 5 Mar 2014, at 18:57, Paul Kyzivat <[email-masked]> wrote:
> 
> If one-way, are there discounts for round-trip? For two people traveling together? (I didn't see mention of such things there.)
> 
>    Thanks,
>    Paul
> 
> 
>

---

From: David Misell <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 05 Mar 2014 22:54:51 +0000

the virgin to mk and back is faster

Kind Regards,
Dave

> On 5 Mar 2014, at 22:51, David Misell <[email-masked]> wrote:
>

---

From: David Misell <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 05 Mar 2014 23:12:06 +0000

off peak to mk start at 0830
off peak to bletchley start 930
one network card carries 4 and start 1000

Kind Regards,
Dave

---

From: "Carlos M. Martinez" <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 05 Mar 2014 23:14:23 +0000

Are we meeting at the lobby as previously proposed ?

---

From: Rob Pickering <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 06 Mar 2014 11:52:17 +0000

So here is the plan...

I will be in the lobby tomorrow at 13:20 and we will leave promptly at 
13:25 (tiny window I know) to travel to Euston by tube. I'll probably be 
wearing a dark blue "ipcortex" fleece or T-shirt. If you are with us, 
great, if you want to make your own way there and arrive any time 15:00 
on, please follow any part of below...

We'll walk across the road to Edgware Road - 
District/Circle/Metropolitan line station and catch the first eastbound 
train to Euston Square. If travelling under your own steam note that 
there are two different Edgware Road stations depending on which line 
you want. If you cross under the big flyover then you are going to the 
wrong (Bakerloo) one.

At Euston Square we'll leave the station, turn left and walk one 
signposted block to Euston rail station. Once there, if purchasing 
"groupsave" tickets in multiples of 4, then 4 folks travel for the price 
of 2. There are conditions to this, I believe one person has to pay for 
all four tickets in one transaction *and* the group then has to travel 
together on both outward and return journeys.

I will leave you all to make your own call on whether you want to do 
this, or just pay individual £14.50 return fares. I will not be 
facilitating this :-)

Train times are here: http://goo.gl/KUWJOr the only one to avoid is the
one an hour that shows a change at Milton Keynes. Too much of a pain in 
my opinion especially if you don't know your way around the stations.

Once on the (hopefully 14:13) train, get get off at Bletchley station 
and walk across the road to Bletchley Park. The Gatehouse will know that 
you are coming, but if you arrive separately just tell them you are from 
the IETF visiting TNMOC and you will be directed straight up to Block-H.

If you are able bring your IETF badge to show at the TNMOC entrance then 
that would be great, they will also have the list from Doodle (sign up 
if you haven't already):
https://www.doodle.com/7cpwbxeq84p7pkv6
You should not therefore be denied entry if you forget your badge.

Any problems, +44 208 099 6907 will get you through to my cellphone 
tomorrow. As a last resort if you can't reach me +44 208 099 6900  will 
get you through to the main ipcortex reception desk. The folks that 
answer that phone are based at Bletchley Park and know about this visit 
so will definitely be able to help if you are lost, but they also have a 
day job to do so please don't swamp them.

Lastly, if enough folks want to do so then we could reserve a table in a 
local pub near the Park (the Eight Belles) for dinner at say 18:00 ish. 
This isn't fine dining and your choice for a final night fling may be to 
head back into London, but it is a small local pub with good beer and 
home cooked food. Reserving a table is probably essential if there are 
any significant numbers of us, so please sign up here today if you would 
like to do this:

https://doodle.com/iwycn3a357n2b2zh

See you tomorrow.

--
	Rob.

-- 
--
     Rob Pickering, ipcortex, 0845 644 2805

Internet E-mail is not a secure medium. Because of the possibility
of modification in transit, no reliance should be placed on any
information contained in this e-mail unless separately confirmed.
If you are not the intended recipient of this e-mail, we would be
grateful if you would inform [email-masked], and then
destroy any copies you hold.
IP Cortex Ltd is a Company registered in England and Wales No 4463272

---

From: Matt Mathis <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 6 Mar 2014 13:26:18 -0800

Is there a limit on the tour size?  I am #41 on the list.

Thanks,
--MM--
The best way to predict the future is to create it.  - Alan Kay

Privacy matters!  We know from recent events that people are using our
services to speak in defiance of unjust governments.   We treat privacy and
security as matters of life and death, because for some users, they are.

On Thu, Mar 6, 2014 at 3:52 AM, Rob Pickering <[email-masked]> wrote:

> great, if you want to make your own way there and arrive any time 15:00 on,
> please follow any part of below...
>
> We'll walk across the road to Edgware Road - District/Circle/Metropolitan
> line station and catch the first eastbound train to Euston Square. If
> travelling under your own steam note that there are two different Edgware
> Road stations depending on which line you want. If you cross under the big
> flyover then you are going to the wrong (Bakerloo) one.
>
> "groupsave" tickets in multiples of 4, then 4 folks travel for the price of
> 2. There are conditions to this, I believe one person has to pay for all
> four tickets in one transaction *and* the group then has to travel together
> on both outward and return journeys.
>
> I will leave you all to make your own call on whether you want to do this,
> or just pay individual £14.50 return fares. I will not be facilitating this
> :-)
>
>
> one an hour that shows a change at Milton Keynes. Too much of a pain in my
> opinion especially if you don't know your way around the stations.
>
> Once on the (hopefully 14:13) train, get get off at Bletchley station and
> walk across the road to Bletchley Park. The Gatehouse will know that you
> are coming, but if you arrive separately just tell them you are from the
> IETF visiting TNMOC and you will be directed straight up to Block-H.
>
> that would be great, they will also have the list from Doodle (sign up if
> you haven't already):
> get you through to the main ipcortex reception desk. The folks that answer
> that phone are based at Bletchley Park and know about this visit so will
> definitely be able to help if you are lost, but they also have a day job to
> do so please don't swamp them.
>
> head back into London, but it is a small local pub with good beer and home
> cooked food. Reserving a table is probably essential if there are any
> significant numbers of us, so please sign up here today if you would like
> to do this:
>

---

From: Rob Pickering <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 06 Mar 2014 21:51:03 +0000

> Is there a limit on the tour size?  I am #41 on the list.

No, none at all any more.  They have drafted more guides in, but in view 
of numbers will probably shift to a strategy of giving us run of the 
Museum and have folks on hand to answer questions rather than running 
formal tours.

Meet in the hotel lobby at 13:20.

--
     Rob.

---

From: David Misell <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 07 Mar 2014 08:23:13 +0000

remember 1 network railcard lets four travel and you get a reduction on the tube

Kind Regards,
Dave

> On 6 Mar 2014, at 21:26, Matt Mathis <[email-masked]> wrote:
> 
> Privacy matters!  We know from recent events that people are using our services to speak in defiance of unjust governments.   We treat privacy and security as matters of life and death, because for some users, they are.
> 
> 
>> I will be in the lobby tomorrow at 13:20 and we will leave promptly at 13:25 (tiny window I know) to travel to Euston by tube. I'll probably be wearing a dark blue "ipcortex" fleece or T-shirt. If you are with us, great, if you want to make your own way there and arrive any time 15:00 on, please follow any part of below...
>> 
>> We'll walk across the road to Edgware Road - District/Circle/Metropolitan line station and catch the first eastbound train to Euston Square. If travelling under your own steam note that there are two different Edgware Road stations depending on which line you want. If you cross under the big flyover then you are going to the wrong (Bakerloo) one.
>> 
>> At Euston Square we'll leave the station, turn left and walk one signposted block to Euston rail station. Once there, if purchasing "groupsave" tickets in multiples of 4, then 4 folks travel for the price of 2. There are conditions to this, I believe one person has to pay for all four tickets in one transaction *and* the group then has to travel together on both outward and return journeys.
>> 
>> I will leave you all to make your own call on whether you want to do this, or just pay individual £14.50 return fares. I will not be facilitating this :-)
>> 
>> 
>> one an hour that shows a change at Milton Keynes. Too much of a pain in my opinion especially if you don't know your way around the stations.
>> 
>> Once on the (hopefully 14:13) train, get get off at Bletchley station and walk across the road to Bletchley Park. The Gatehouse will know that you are coming, but if you arrive separately just tell them you are from the IETF visiting TNMOC and you will be directed straight up to Block-H.
>> 
>> If you are able bring your IETF badge to show at the TNMOC entrance then that would be great, they will also have the list from Doodle (sign up if you haven't already):
>> Any problems, +44 208 099 6907 will get you through to my cellphone tomorrow. As a last resort if you can't reach me +44 208 099 6900  will get you through to the main ipcortex reception desk. The folks that answer that phone are based at Bletchley Park and know about this visit so will definitely be able to help if you are lost, but they also have a day job to do so please don't swamp them.
>> 
>> Lastly, if enough folks want to do so then we could reserve a table in a local pub near the Park (the Eight Belles) for dinner at say 18:00 ish. This isn't fine dining and your choice for a final night fling may be to head back into London, but it is a small local pub with good beer and home cooked food. Reserving a table is probably essential if there are any significant numbers of us, so please sign up here today if you would like to do this:
>>

---

From: David Misell <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 07 Mar 2014 08:31:33 +0000

tub reduction weekend / off peaker marked oyster card

Kind Regards,
Dave

> On 7 Mar 2014, at 08:23, David Misell <[email-masked]> wrote:
>