Subject: [89attendees] whining

From: "Howard, Lee" <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 3 Mar 2014 15:24:39 -0500

At the risk of being unfairly critical, I think some people are being
unfairly critical.  You didn't get the cookie you wanted?

For health issues, like cold rooms, mold, or foods that cause allergies or
insulin or glycemic reactions, please do let the staff know, so that they
can do something about it. For issues that prevent the work of the IETF,
such as sound or network problems, please do let the staff know, so that
they can do something about it.  For issues with the hotel, let the hotel
know, and ask staff for help interceding if necessary. I think the Meeting
Trouble Desk is the right place: [email-masked] (except network, which is
[email-masked]).

For food requirements, there is specifically the food mailing list:
https://www.ietf.org/meeting/email-list.html

For recommendations on where to find beer, coffee, laundry, or
electronics, check the meeting wiki:
https://www.ietf.org/registration/MeetingWiki/wiki/ietf89

If the wiki fails you, or if you want to coordinate some effort with other
attendees, such as a trip to a local store to buy 5,000 cookies (or
biscuits), or local tourism trips, use the attendees list.

How did I get so smart?  I looked at the IETF meeting page under "Meeting
Communication."

Lee

This E-mail and any of its attachments may contain Time Warner Cable proprietary information, which is privileged, confidential, or subject to copyright belonging to Time Warner Cable. This E-mail is intended solely for the use of the individual or entity to which it is addressed. If you are not the intended recipient of this E-mail, you are hereby notified that any dissemination, distribution, copying, or action taken in relation to the contents of and attachments to this E-mail is strictly prohibited and may be unlawful. If you have received this E-mail in error, please notify the sender immediately and permanently delete the original and any copy of this E-mail and any printout.

---

From: Ted Lemon <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 3 Mar 2014 21:39:41 +0000

> unfairly critical.  You didn't get the cookie you wanted?

The cookies are wrapped in plastic.   They are quite good—I just wish they weren't individually wrapped.   I do not blame the secretariat for this, but if there is a knob to turn, it would be good if it could be turned.

In general when we whine, it's because we imagine that there is some thing that can still be changed, not because we are mad at the secretariat.   I really hope that they don't take it personally; if they do, they should feel free to pie me, because I would deserve it.   It's a hard job, particularly with people like us as end-users.

---

From: Benson Schliesser <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 4 Mar 2014 00:34:58 +0000

I think it should be a standing rule that we all buy drinks for the
secretariat anytime we see them at the bar. Its the least we can do to
compensate for our high-maintenance whining behaviors. :)
Cheers,
-Benson

On Mar 3, 2014 9:39 PM, "Ted Lemon" <[email-masked]> wrote:
> In general when we whine, it's because we imagine that there is some
thing that can still be changed, not because we are mad at the secretariat.
  I really hope that they don't take it personally; if they do, they should
feel free to pie me, because I would deserve it.   It's a hard job,
particularly with people like us as end-users.

---

From: Jon Hudson <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 4 Mar 2014 00:49:05 +0000

+1

> On Mar 4, 2014, at 12:34 AM, Benson Schliesser <[email-masked]> wrote:
> 
> I think it should be a standing rule that we all buy drinks for the secretariat anytime we see them at the bar. Its the least we can do to compensate for our high-maintenance whining behaviors. :)
> Cheers,
> -Benson
> 
> _______________________________________________
> 89attendees mailing list
> [email-masked]
> https://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/89attendees

---

From: Benoit Claise <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 04 Mar 2014 00:54:53 +0000

On top of the drinks, I would add some cookies :-)

B.
> On Mar 3, 2014 9:39 PM, "Ted Lemon" <[email-masked] 
> <mailto:[email-masked]>> wrote:
> thing that can still be changed, not because we are mad at the 
> secretariat.   I really hope that they don't take it personally; if 
> they do, they should feel free to pie me, because I would deserve it. 
>   It's a hard job, particularly with people like us as end-users.
> >
>
>
>

---

From: Ted Lemon <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 4 Mar 2014 07:27:44 +0000

> On top of the drinks, I would add some cookies :-)

But they already _have_ all the cookies!

:)

---

From: "Murray S. Kucherawy" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 4 Mar 2014 07:57:51 +0000

On Mon, Mar 3, 2014 at 9:39 PM, Ted Lemon <[email-masked]> wrote:

>
> In general when we whine, it's because we imagine that there is some thing
> that can still be changed, not because we are mad at the secretariat.   I
> really hope that they don't take it personally; if they do, they should
I agree; if I whine in a way that the Secretariat takes personally, they
should pie Ted.

---

From: Ted Lemon <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 4 Mar 2014 07:58:55 +0000

On Mar 4, 2014, at 7:57 AM, Murray S. Kucherawy <[email-masked]> wrote:
> I agree; if I whine in a way that the Secretariat takes personally, they should pie Ted.

Of course, it happens that I like pies... :)