Subject: [89attendees] Jabber room issues...

From: Ted Lemon <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 5 Mar 2014 15:55:41 +0000

If anybody else is using Google Talk and is having trouble getting into Jabber rooms, you might want to try registering with a different xmpp server.   I have been unable to get it working with Google today, although it was working yesterday.   By registering with a different xmpp server (einfachjabber.de), I was able to get in to IETF chat rooms.   I don't know what's going on, but thought I'd mention it in case anyone else is having the same problem.

---

From: Ted Lemon <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 5 Mar 2014 15:57:15 +0000

On Mar 5, 2014, at 3:55 PM, Ted Lemon <[email-masked]> wrote:
> If anybody else is using Google Talk

s/Google Talk/Google Hangouts/

---

From: Dan York <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 5 Mar 2014 16:03:06 +0000

Ted,

On 3/5/14 3:55 PM, "Ted Lemon" <[email-masked]> wrote:

>If anybody else is using Google Talk and is having trouble getting into
>Jabber rooms, you might want to try registering with a different xmpp
>server.   I have been unable to get it working with Google today,
>although it was working yesterday.   By registering with a different xmpp
>server (einfachjabber.de), I was able to get in to IETF chat rooms.   I
>don't know what's going on, but thought I'd mention it in case anyone
>else is having the same problem.

A couple of us have had similar issues with connections from accounts on
jabber.org.  Interestingly I've been getting read-only connections via my
jabber.org account, I.e. I can connect to the jabber.ietf.org room and see
all the messages but cannot type any messages into the room.  I *am* able
to connect in to Jabber rooms via an account on another server.

I raised this issue this morning with the NOC (via
[email-masked] ) but they were unable to replicate my issue.  If
others are experiencing problems like this I would encourage you to send a
message into the NOC with info about where you are connecting from (which
XMPP server) and the problem you are having (unable to connect at all,
getting a read-only connection, etc.) so that the NOC team can collect
more data.

Dan

---

From: Chris Morrow <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 5 Mar 2014 12:05:12 -0500

Not to be contrary.. but, as a gmail.com user of pidgin....
I can connect to (and am connected to) [email-masked]

and can see messages in the meeting. i can't tell if my messages to the
room are visible though :(

> [email-masked] ) but they were unable to replicate my issue.  If

It's also fair to point out that the NOC folk don't have any ability to
change the status of jabber.ietf.org :(
This is a system run (I think) by the AMSL folk, and as I hear it (from the
NOC) the AMSL folk have been notified of the issue.

-chris

> _______________________________________________
> 89attendees mailing list
> [email-masked]
> https://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/89attendees
>

---

From: Richard Barnes <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 5 Mar 2014 17:16:09 +0000

This could be because Hangouts hasn't supported XMPP for several months now.
<http://www.zdnet.com/google-moves-away-from-the-xmpp-open-messaging-standard-7000015918/>
<http://stackoverflow.com/questions/16696761/google-hangouts-and-xmpp-support>

Feel free to provide them feedback:
<http://www.google.com/tools/feedback/intl/en/>

---

From: Ted Lemon <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 5 Mar 2014 17:18:45 +0000

> This could be because Hangouts hasn't supported XMPP for several months now.

Yup.   I've been coasting for several IETFs.   It is possible that it's unsupported but was left running, and is starting to abrade.