Subject: [89attendees] 3 SIM Cards

From: "Carlos M. Martinez" <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 01 Mar 2014 21:21:30 +0000

I got one today at a 3 shop. Lady only offered a 1 pound SIM + 15 pound
top-up, but instructed me about to buy an 'add on' with my 15 pound
credit that gave me unlimited data for a month.

Asked if it would allow tethering, she convincingly says 'no, no plan in
pay as you go supports that'. Bought it anyway, and guess what,
tethering works perfectly.

That's the upside for 3. The downside is that I've found coverage to be
quite poor, even in places like Greenwich.

Cheers!

~Carlos

---

From: George Michaelson <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 1 Mar 2014 21:58:59 +0000

on my nexus 4 kitkat, it works fine *except* the SMSC string appears wrong, and I can't send SMS.

I can receive fine.

There appears to be an issue with updating this string on some devices. I have been through the various PDU re-encoders, and boot cycles on it, I suspect the SMSC for the payg SIM is not the one documented on the web.

-G

On 1 Mar 2014, at 9:21 pm, Carlos M. Martinez <[email-masked]> wrote:

> _______________________________________________
> 89attendees mailing list
> [email-masked]
> https://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/89attendees

---

From: George Michaelson <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 1 Mar 2014 22:28:29 +0000

Clemens Schrimpe set me straight:

the SMS portal is restricted to UK SMS destinations only, unless you top the 3 SIM up with a bit more value.

And yes, every SMS I tried to send was to my own +61 xxx mobile number, in the other handset I have with me..

Great debug Clemens!

-George

---

From: Paul Hoffman <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 1 Mar 2014 23:15:14 +0000

> quite poor, even in places like Greenwich.

Good warning. I bought one in the airport, it goes fine in my phone, and there are zero bars in my hotel (which is a short block from Bayswater). Am happy to give it to someone who can actually use it this week.

--Paul Hoffman

---

From: David Misell <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 02 Mar 2014 02:14:29 +0000

Try o2 with international services which gives you three over sees numbers (global) that pople can dial you for local calls.
 You can also dial upto 3 numbers for 3000 minutes, costs £10 per calendar month, managed on www portal, this onto of a £10 fee. As CPW have a phone for £5 if you spend £20 on it this would mean for £25 you get a phone and all the calls you need plus 1Gb data
dave

---

From: Leto <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 2 Mar 2014 09:17:08 +0000

my phone only gets 2G on the lebara, so also happy to give it away :)

sent from a tiny device

---

From: "Carlos M. Martinez" <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 02 Mar 2014 10:26:20 +0000

Additional data point about 3 coverage: it definitely sucks. I'm in room
Blenheim now (IEPG) and I have no service at all. In comparison my
Uruguayan SIM roams on EE (I don't even know what company this is) and
has all signal bars on.

cheers!

~Carlos

---

From: Patrik Fältström <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 02 Mar 2014 11:28:35 +0100

On 2014-03-02 11:26, Carlos M. Martinez wrote:
> In comparison my

With foreign sim you have national roaming, including on 3 network where
that is the best for you.

   Patrik

---

From: t.p. <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 2 Mar 2014 11:26:00 +0000

----- Original Message -----
From: "Carlos M. Martinez" <[email-masked]>
To: <[email-masked]>
Sent: Sunday, March 02, 2014 10:26 AM
Subject: Re: [89attendees] 3 SIM Cards

<tp>
'Everything Everywhere' used to be Orange which used to have the best
coverage UK wide.  One of the big four National 'mobile' phone companies
in the UK.

Tom Petch

cheers!

~Carlos

On 3/2/14, 2:14 AM, David Misell wrote:
> Try o2 with international services which gives you three over sees
numbers (global) that pople can dial you for local calls.
>  You can also dial upto 3 numbers for 3000 minutes, costs £10 per
calendar month, managed on www portal, this onto of a £10 fee. As CPW
have a phone for £5 if you spend £20 on it this would mean for £25 you
get a phone and all the calls you need plus 1Gb data
>> And yes, every SMS I tried to send was to my own +61 xxx mobile
number, in the other handset I have with me..

---

From: Keith Mitchell <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 02 Mar 2014 06:42:22 -0500

On 03/02/2014 06:26 AM, t.p. wrote:
>> Additional data point about 3 coverage: it definitely sucks. I'm in
>> room Blenheim now (IEPG) and I have no service at all. In
>> comparison my Uruguayan SIM roams on EE (I don't even know what
>> company this is) and has all signal bars on.

Unlike other UK carriers 3 have no 2G/2.5G infrastructure, it will roam
back to other carriers if it can't see 3G/4G.

> 'Everything Everywhere' used to be Orange which used to have the
> best coverage UK wide.

EE also merged in what used to be T-Mobile UK (DT), their spectrum is
mostly at 1800 and 2100MHz.

Keith

---

From: David Misell <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 02 Mar 2014 12:15:52 +0000

Cpw next door will lool after you

Kind Regards,

Dave

David S. Misell MBCS CISSP
Skype misell.dave
+44(0)7710380044
0207 7239135

> On 2 Mar 2014, at 11:42, Keith Mitchell <[email-masked]> wrote:
>

---

From: [email-masked]
Date: 2 Mar 2014 16:36:19 -0000

>coverage UK wide.  One of the big four National 'mobile' phone companies

It's a joint venture of Orange (we don't care, we don't have to, we're
the French phone company) and T-Mobile (we don't care, we don't have
to, we're the German phone company).

But their coverage is quite good.

R's,
John

PS: Not to be confused with O2 (we don't care, etc., we're the Spanish
phone company which bought BT's spun off mobile service)