Subject: [89attendees] The experience as new comer for Sunday

From: Abdussalam Baryun <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 3 Mar 2014 02:12:09 +0100

Hi All,

Tutorial was nice but it would been good to see the ISOC, IETF,
IAB, and Nomcom leaders within the beginning of tutorial because the
tutorial covers these bodies.

I found it some how difficult to meet/find some managers I am looking for
to speak to and I think it is nice if it is easier for new comers to find
ADs and WG chairs on Sunday. However, seen 4 ADs and 3 WG chairs, seen the
IAB chair, but could not find 2 WG chairs and 2 ADs. In addition I met many
that I was discussing with remotely for 2 years and it is nice to see them
in person. I still did not see the IETF chair but will try to see him on
Wednesday.

Overall the experience was great ;-)

I hope that all new attendees have seen at least the IETF chair and IAB
chair, but best if you see also more ADs and WG chairs.  (I asked one but
he may not have met ADs) if you are new comer or first time attending
please comment your experience, or tell us how many ADs or chairs you met
today to discussing joining the area or WG participation.

AB

---

From: John C Klensin <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 03 Mar 2014 02:14:51 -0500

--On Monday, 03 March, 2014 02:12 +0100 Abdussalam Baryun
<[email-masked]> wrote:

>...
> IAB, and Nomcom leaders within the beginning of tutorial
> because the tutorial covers these bodies.

They can speak for themselves, but at least one reason for this
is that the IESG and IAB members usually have meetings on
Sunday, some of the key ISOC leadership had probably not
arrived, and I suspect the Nomcom leadership is suffering from
exhaustion.   While I agree with you that it would be nice to
have more of them at the tutorial, they are volunteers and the
price of their attendance might be their having to arrive even
earlier.  The latter can be a considerable burden on them and
their employers and families.

I hope most of those who were here showed up at the "Newcomer
Meet and Greet" -- it can't solve all problems, but such
personal greetings and contacts are what it is for.

best regards,
   john

---

From: Benoit Claise <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 03 Mar 2014 07:55:49 +0000

Hi AB,

Two of the ADs were taking care of a tutorial they organized.
And the last tutorial slot overlaps with the new comer session.

Regards, Benoit
> I found it some how difficult to meet/find some managers I am looking 
> for to speak to and I think it is nice if it is easier for new comers 
> to find ADs and WG chairs on Sunday. However, seen 4 ADs and 3 WG 
> chairs, seen the IAB chair, but could not find 2 WG chairs and 2 ADs. 
> In addition I met many that I was discussing with remotely for 2 years 
> and it is nice to see them in person. I still did not see the IETF 
> chair but will try to see him on Wednesday.
>
> I hope that all new attendees have seen at least the IETF chair and 
> IAB chair, but best if you see also more ADs and WG chairs.  (I asked 
> one but he may not have met ADs) if you are new comer or first time 
> attending please comment your experience, or tell us how many ADs or 
> chairs you met today to discussing joining the area or WG participation.
>
> AB
>
>
>
> _______________________________________________
> 89attendees mailing list
> [email-masked]
> https://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/89attendees

---

From: Marc Blanchet <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 3 Mar 2014 07:57:02 +0000

Le 2014-03-03 à 01:12, Abdussalam Baryun <[email-masked]> a écrit :

> Tutorial was nice

good.

> but it would been good to see the ISOC, IETF, IAB, and Nomcom leaders within the beginning of tutorial because the tutorial covers these bodies. 

we have parallel meetings at the same time.

> 
> I found it some how difficult to meet/find some managers I am looking for to speak to and I think it is nice if it is easier for new comers to find ADs and WG chairs on Sunday.

The newcomer session is set for exactly that. As you have seen, people are all identified by dots and also wg names. I was there and I've seen most ADs, most IAB members and a lot of WG chairs. 

> However, seen 4 ADs and 3 WG chairs, seen the IAB chair, but could not find 2 WG chairs and 2 ADs. In addition I met many that I was discussing with remotely for 2 years and it is nice to see them in person. I still did not see the IETF chair but will try to see him on Wednesday. 
> 

good.

> 
> I hope that all new attendees have seen at least the IETF chair and IAB chair, but best if you see also more ADs and WG chairs.  

you have the whole week. And they are usually pretty easy to talk to.

Marc.

> (I asked one but he may not have met ADs) if you are new comer or first time attending please comment your experience, or tell us how many ADs or chairs you met today to discussing joining the area or WG participation. 
> 
> AB
>

---

From: Abdussalam Baryun <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 3 Mar 2014 09:05:09 +0100

Hi John,

Thanks for your advise. I was very happy to meet you yesterday. I wanted to
see if the body leaders will come closer to the new comers even 10 minutes
within the week while the new comers are gathered together group and those
leaders be seen in such gather. I thought the tutorial was a good gathering
but still there is time for another quick gathering if possible. However,
it is just my thought that if newcomers see leaders in the first meet then
I expect that they will like to continue coming.

One new comer I spoke to is a ISOC fellow and he got an introduction
session group gathering, but I was not invited, he met some leaders of ISOC
but I needed to look for them, but I did not have enough time while non new
comers were interacting as well to leaders.

Best Regards
Abdussalam

On Monday, March 3, 2014, John C Klensin wrote:

> <[email-masked] <javascript:;>> wrote:
>
> >...

---

From: "Howard, Lee" <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 3 Mar 2014 03:17:21 -0500

From: Abdussalam Baryun <[email-masked]<mailto:[email-masked]>>
Date: Monday, March 3, 2014 3:05 AM
To: John C Klensin <[email-masked]<mailto:[email-masked]>>
Cc: "[email-masked]<mailto:[email-masked]>" <[email-masked]<mailto:[email-masked]>>
Subject: Re: [89attendees] The experience as new comer for Sunday

Hi John,

Thanks for your advise. I was very happy to meet you yesterday. I wanted to see if the body leaders will come closer to the new comers even 10 minutes within the week while the new comers are gathered together group and those leaders be seen in such gather. I thought the tutorial was a good gathering but still there is time for another quick gathering if possible. However, it is just my thought that if newcomers see leaders in the first meet then I expect that they will like to continue coming.

This is true, and you've heard some of the complications in making it happen.

One new comer I spoke to is a ISOC fellow and he got an introduction session group gathering, but I was not invited, he met some leaders of ISOC but I needed to look for them, but I did not have enough time while non new comers were interacting as well to leaders.

You will bump into WG chairs and ADs all week.  They're everywhere.
In addition to badges with dots, identifying various leadership roles, look for badges with smiley faces on them.  These are people who have specifically said they're open to questions from newcomers.  One common question is, "Do you know so-and-so?"

Good luck with your first day of meetings—I hope it's good!

Lee

________________________________
This E-mail and any of its attachments may contain Time Warner Cable proprietary information, which is privileged, confidential, or subject to copyright belonging to Time Warner Cable. This E-mail is intended solely for the use of the individual or entity to which it is addressed. If you are not the intended recipient of this E-mail, you are hereby notified that any dissemination, distribution, copying, or action taken in relation to the contents of and attachments to this E-mail is strictly prohibited and may be unlawful. If you have received this E-mail in error, please notify the sender immediately and permanently delete the original and any copy of this E-mail and any printout.

---

From: <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 3 Mar 2014 08:42:06 +0000

The simplest way would be to send an email to the person you would like to see if you want to see this person before a specific session.
Coffee breaks are usually also a good opportunity to have a quick chat with WG chairs, Ads, etc. And the registration desk is often a good meeting point when you are not sure of who you are looking for.
By the way, for WG chairs, there is a photo directory that can be useful: http://www.ietf.org/wg/chair-photos.html. Some people are missing but it is a good start. I don't remember if there is the same directory for Ads and so on.

Good luck for your first IETF meeting.

Lionel

De : 89attendees [mailto:[email-masked]] De la part de Howard, Lee
Envoyé : lundi 3 mars 2014 09:17
À : Abdussalam Baryun; John C Klensin
Cc : [email-masked]
Objet : Re: [89attendees] The experience as new comer for Sunday

Hi John,

Good luck with your first day of meetings-I hope it's good!

Lee

_________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

Ce message et ses pieces jointes peuvent contenir des informations confidentielles ou privilegiees et ne doivent donc
pas etre diffuses, exploites ou copies sans autorisation. Si vous avez recu ce message par erreur, veuillez le signaler
a l'expediteur et le detruire ainsi que les pieces jointes. Les messages electroniques etant susceptibles d'alteration,
Orange decline toute responsabilite si ce message a ete altere, deforme ou falsifie. Merci.

This message and its attachments may contain confidential or privileged information that may be protected by law;
they should not be distributed, used or copied without authorisation.
If you have received this email in error, please notify the sender and delete this message and its attachments.
As emails may be altered, Orange is not liable for messages that have been modified, changed or falsified.
Thank you.

---

From: Alia Atlas <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 3 Mar 2014 03:47:29 -0500

The ADs have pictures and biographies off of
http://www.ietf.org/iesg/members.html

Alia

On Mon, Mar 3, 2014 at 3:42 AM, <[email-masked]> wrote:

>  The simplest way would be to send an email to the person you would like
> to see if you want to see this person before a specific session.
>
> Coffee breaks are usually also a good opportunity to have a quick chat
> with WG chairs, Ads, etc. And the registration desk is often a good meeting
> point when you are not sure of who you are looking for.
>
> By the way, for WG chairs, there is a photo directory that can be useful:
> http://www.ietf.org/wg/chair-photos.html. Some people are missing but it
> is a good start. I don't remember if there is the same directory for Ads
> and so on.
>
>
>
> *De :* 89attendees [mailto:[email-masked]] *De la part de*Howard, Lee
> *Envoyé :* lundi 3 mars 2014 09:17
> *À :* Abdussalam Baryun; John C Klensin
> *Cc :* [email-masked]
> *Objet :* Re: [89attendees] The experience as new comer for Sunday
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
> *From: *Abdussalam Baryun <[email-masked]>
> *Date: *Monday, March 3, 2014 3:05 AM
> *To: *John C Klensin <[email-masked]>
> *Cc: *"[email-masked]" <[email-masked]>
> *Subject: *Re: [89attendees] The experience as new comer for Sunday
>
>
>
>  Hi John,
>
>
>
> Thanks for your advise. I was very happy to meet you yesterday. I wanted
> to see if the body leaders will come closer to the new comers even 10
> minutes within the week while the new comers are gathered together
> group and those leaders be seen in such gather. I thought the tutorial was
> a good gathering but still there is time for another quick gathering if
> possible. However, it is just my thought that if newcomers see leaders in
> the first meet then I expect that they will like to continue coming.
>
>
>
> In addition to badges with dots, identifying various leadership roles,
> look for badges with smiley faces on them.  These are people who have
> specifically said they're open to questions from newcomers.  One common
> question is, "Do you know so-and-so?"
>
>
>
> Good luck with your first day of meetings--I hope it's good!
>
>
>
> Lee
>
>
>
>
>
>
>  ------------------------------
>
> This E-mail and any of its attachments may contain Time Warner Cable
> proprietary information, which is privileged, confidential, or subject to
> copyright belonging to Time Warner Cable. This E-mail is intended solely
> for the use of the individual or entity to which it is addressed. If you
> are not the intended recipient of this E-mail, you are hereby notified that
> any dissemination, distribution, copying, or action taken in relation to
> the contents of and attachments to this E-mail is strictly prohibited and
> may be unlawful. If you have received this E-mail in error, please notify
> the sender immediately and permanently delete the original and any copy of
> this E-mail and any printout.
>

---

From: Andrew Sullivan <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 3 Mar 2014 03:48:13 -0500

On Mon, Mar 03, 2014 at 09:05:09AM +0100, Abdussalam Baryun wrote:
> I wanted to
> leaders be seen in such gather.

That's what the newcomers' reception is for, on Sunday afternoon.  I'm
sorry I didn't manage to meet you there, though I made a point to get
to it (as I always do).  I'm happy to meet you or anyone else in the
hall, in the meetings, and so on. 

As usual, though, I also want to push back a little on the focus on
"the leadership".  I'm not trying to suggest that it's not important
for people wearing various dots to meet new contributors.  But I also
think it's really important that we not think of "the leadership" as
somehow dragging the IETF along somewhere.

The thing that got me involved in the IETF was that there were
particular things that the IETF was working on where I thought I might
contribute.  I think the most valuable thing newcomers (and any other
comers!) to the IETF can do is find something they know about, find
some drafts that they're interested in, and read them carefully and
comment as usefully as possible.  Visiting WGs that might be
interesting and picking up a draft that strikes you as at all
interesting can be helpful.  Listening carefully in meetings where you
don't really know what's going on, and then going back and rereading
the drafts and asking questions (even clarifying ones, maybe not in
the meetings or at the mic) makes an important contribution.  I still
find those activities to be the things that are most interesting and
useful to me at the IETF.  (I will leave it to others to determine
whether my acting that way is useful to anyone else!)

I'm quite sensitive to the recent suggestion on another list that the
IETF is a private club.  But there really is a way to "join this club"
(I'd prefer to say "contribute to this activity"), and it's not by
talking to the so-called leadership.  It's by working on the standards
that we're here to develop.  That's the thing the IETF contributes to
the universe -- not meetings, or "leadership", or long discussion
about cookies or IETF processes (amusing as all that may be).  I'm
more than happy to talk to anyone at any time to the extent I can help
them involve themselves in that core IETF activity; and I hope that's
what the newcomers' reception and the hallway discussions are about.

Best regards,

A (IAB member, speaking for myself)
-- 
Andrew Sullivan
[email-masked]

---

From: Ted Lemon <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 3 Mar 2014 09:29:36 +0000

On Mar 3, 2014, at 1:12 AM, Abdussalam Baryun <[email-masked]> wrote:
> I found it some how difficult to meet/find some managers I am looking for to speak to and I think it is nice if it is easier for new comers to find ADs and WG chairs on Sunday. However, seen 4 ADs and 3 WG chairs, seen the IAB chair, but could not find 2 WG chairs and 2 ADs. In addition I met many that I was discussing with remotely for 2 years and it is nice to see them in person. I still did not see the IETF chair but will try to see him on Wednesday. 

It sounds like you didn't come to the newcomers meet&greet (or at least I didn't see you).   But we are around—look for people with yellow dots on their badges for ADs, blue for working group chairs.   ADs are very busy during IETF meetings, so please don't be offended if you find us and we don't have time to talk right then, or can only give you a few minutes.

The best way to find an AD is at the end of a meeting for a working group for which they are responsible (e.g., I am in DHC right now).   Of course, we may be rushing off to our next appointment, but it's worth a try.   ADs also have office hours.   If you send email to the AD you want to meet, they can help you to figure out when and where to go.

---

From: Stewart Bryant <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 03 Mar 2014 10:07:03 +0000

> tutorial covers these bodies.
Please remember that the IESG arrive the day before to start meeting at 
9am and continue through until 2pm with the IAB, and then a number 
continue with other meetings until 4pm (IAB, Area Open House etc). The 
IAB start meeting with the IESG at 11.30 and continue through until 4pm.

As far as I can tell all ADs & IAB then go to the 4pm newcomers 
reception, which is the intended vehicle for newcomers to meet them.  
Then the I* are at the social, then many have over dinner meetings. 
There really is no slack in the Sunday schedule.
> to find ADs and WG chairs on Sunday.
There are a lot of people that the I* need to meet, many at the start of 
the week to discuss the business of the Monday WG meetings and the 
Monday Plenary etc.

- Stewart

---

From: Abdussalam Baryun <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 3 Mar 2014 11:19:24 +0100

> we have parallel meetings at the same time.

That is ok, I just thought meeting new comers for quick introduction
of 10 minutes will not make those paralell meetings disturbed much. We
may ask another question in the other side, to IETF/IAB/nomcom/ISOC
leaders: How many newcomers did you meet on Sunday, or how many will
you be able to meet within the week? The more efficient way is to meet
newcomers in the first day they come, and even 10 minutes is enough
when they gather in a room, that will have BIG impact, and BIG future
results.

>> ADs and WG chairs on Sunday.
>
> The newcomer session is set for exactly that. As you have seen, people are
> all identified by dots and also wg names. I was there and I've seen most
> ADs, most IAB members and a lot of WG chairs.

I disagree, the way it was organised was not perfect but was useful.
It was organised by IETF Areas, but I think one important Area was
missing (General Area!), so I did not find MANET WG co-chairs, and in
the Routing Area which I participate there was only I2RS Chair, were
all of them not available or they were around, I am not sure!!!

Also, IMHO, I think that IAB should have a table like IETF Areas (but
I already was happy to meet IAB chair, not sure of other experiences),
also ISOC should have a table, IETFgeneral-area, nomcom, IAB leaders
should be easy to find. therefore, the organising was target Areas not
target bodies and leaders and managers (not all managers were
available, because I missed to find many).
>
>> However, seen 4 ADs and 3 WG chairs, seen the IAB chair, but could not
>> find 2 WG chairs and 2 ADs. In addition I met many that I was discussing
>> with remotely for 2 years and it is nice to see them in person. I still
>> did not see the IETF chair but will try to see him on Wednesday.
>>
>>
>> chair, but best if you see also more ADs and WG chairs.
>

I have only one day pass, so I don't have the week, not all the new
comers have ability to pay all days, or not all are ISOC fellows. So
we need to think of all possibilities of future new comers that have
attended for one or two days.

AB

---

From: Abdussalam Baryun <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 3 Mar 2014 11:23:17 +0100

> the week to discuss the business of the Monday WG meetings and the

I know that ADs are very bussy. However, I met you very easily because
you already were available in routing office session for 2 hours, also
met Adrian and Alia. Thanks.

Best Regards
AB

---

From: Abdussalam Baryun <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 3 Mar 2014 11:29:14 +0100

Hi Ted,

I was looking for you and sorry that we did not meet, but may be the
time and way for finding others are not much efficient within the
newcomer meet between 4-7pm yesterday, however, overall, I got a great
experience, and will be very happy to meet you on Wednesday and
discuss the ITS (I seen Alex on Sunday) because it is still not a WG.

Best Regards
AB

I have only one day pass, and hope to see all ADs by Wednesday :-)

On 3/3/14, Ted Lemon <[email-masked]> wrote:
>> IAB chair, but could not find 2 WG chairs and 2 ADs. In addition I met
>> many that I was discussing with remotely for 2 years and it is nice to see
>> them in person. I still did not see the IETF chair but will try to see him
>> on Wednesday.
>
> It sounds like you didn't come to the newcomers meet&greet (or at least I
> didn't see you).   But we are around--look for people with yellow dots on
> their badges for ADs, blue for working group chairs.   ADs are very busy
> during IETF meetings, so please don't be offended if you find us and we
> don't have time to talk right then, or can only give you a few minutes.
>
> The best way to find an AD is at the end of a meeting for a working group
> for which they are responsible (e.g., I am in DHC right now).   Of course,
> we may be rushing off to our next appointment, but it's worth a try.   ADs
> also have office hours.   If you send email to the AD you want to meet, they
> can help you to figure out when and where to go.
>
>

---

From: Ted Lemon <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 3 Mar 2014 10:27:39 +0000

On Mar 3, 2014, at 10:19 AM, Abdussalam Baryun <[email-masked]> wrote:
> How many newcomers did you meet on Sunday, or how many will

We had an hour-long meeting with newcomers at 4.   I met two (INT area isn't very popular, I guess).   AFAIK you did not attend, or I would (I hope!) have met you!

---

From: Abdussalam Baryun <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 3 Mar 2014 11:35:19 +0100

Hi Alia,

Yes, that was mentioned to by one particpant when I wanted to find
Kathleen and asked to meet her, but it took me 30 minutes to find her,
so that system of *see-picture-and-find within 3 hours may be
difficult for newcomers.

Best Regards
AB

On 3/3/14, Alia Atlas <[email-masked]> wrote:
>> Ce message et ses pieces jointes peuvent contenir des informations
>> confidentielles ou privilegiees et ne doivent donc
>> pas etre diffuses, exploites ou copies sans autorisation. Si vous avez
>> recu ce message par erreur, veuillez le signaler
>> a l'expediteur et le detruire ainsi que les pieces jointes. Les messages
>> electroniques etant susceptibles d'alteration,
>> This message and its attachments may contain confidential or privileged
>> information that may be protected by law;

---

From: Kathleen Moriarty <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 3 Mar 2014 05:36:38 -0500

Hi Abdussalam,

It was a pleasure to meet you at the IETF social last night.  Thanks
for spotting me and introducing yourself.  For other newcomers, AB
used the available information to look at photos of some of the WG
chairs and IESG members he wanted to meet.  This was a good use of the
available information, other ways to find us have already been
mentioned.

As for me, I think I spoke with about 8 newcomers at the newcomer
social.  I like to spend a little time with each discussion to find
out what they are interested in and to see if I can help with useful
connections (other WGs they should check out or introductions to more
experienced people in the WGs they are interested).  It would be
impossible to meet everyone and make a useful/helpful connection.

At the main social, it was a bit tough to get a quick bite to eat as I
was busy chatting with lots of different people.  Some were old timers
and several were new to the IETF, or at least this meeting.  I did
have 2 other newcomers seek me out that I had recognized from the
STRINT workshop and had a good conversation.

After that I went to a dinner where I met several other newcomers as
well as some folks who have been attending the IETF, but I had not met
them yet.

It was a busy day and evening!  I hope you have the opportunity to
meet the folks that you are working with and am glad you were able to
attend to get a feel for meetings.

Best regards,
Kathleen

-- 

Best regards,
Kathleen

---

From: Michael Richardson <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 03 Mar 2014 05:48:35 -0500

> met Adrian and Alia. Thanks.

You also met me, and apparently didn't realize that I'm a nomcom member.
So you did meet someone nomcom.

---

From: Abdussalam Baryun <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 3 Mar 2014 11:50:55 +0100

Hi Ted,

I wanted to meet you not because you are INT AD (I did not know that,
but know you are the AD of ITS) but because I am interested in ITS.
comments below,

On 3/3/14, Ted Lemon <[email-masked]> wrote:
> We had an hour-long meeting with newcomers at 4.   I met two (INT area isn't
> very popular, I guess).   AFAIK you did not attend, or I would (I hope!)
> have met you!
>

Also I think the IETF Areas' tables were some how empty from majority
of WGs' chairs, to be hounest I am not sure of numbers, but it looked
like in average that each IETF Area had only 4 WG chairs and some had
may be less than 4, one Area was missing.

 Furthermore, the space of the room we had for the tables and its
capacity was not matching the true capacity of the attendees, so it
was difficult to move within the space/room, while the food, there was
more than enough.

I have seen the INT area table but did not find 6Lo (sorry forgot to
search for the AD at the time), and I met 3 newcomers and they want
6Lo WG chair but not found (only when I was leaving the Hotel building
I met Ulrich coming from the airport).

Best Regards
AB

---

From: Ted Lemon <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 3 Mar 2014 10:53:17 +0000

> may be less than 4, one Area was missing.

Chairs do not always show up for the meet&greet, but as AD I always do.   Sometimes it's a bit discouraging, because let's face it, we are all geeks, and not that good at going up to people and talking to them.   But it sounds like you did a good job of introducing yourself around.   Hopefully I will see you before you leave on Wednesday.   You will certainly see me at the Admin plenary if you stay for that, but I'll also be at the tech plenary tonight.

---

From: "Howard, Lee" <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 3 Mar 2014 06:12:53 -0500

>when they gather in a room, that will have BIG impact, and BIG future

It would not be possible to meet all of the newcomers in 10 minutes,
unless by "meet" you mean a receiving line.

>>>for

I would have liked the Newcomer/Mentor table near the door, since I did
not know to look for it.
Otherwise, I was happy with the organization.

>available, because I missed to find many).

I think you may be putting too much importance on meeting all of these
people.  Unless you're playing bingo, you're just as well off meeting
other active  contributors, document authors, and previous chairs and ADs.

>attended for one or two days.

Please don't waste your single day here trying to shake hands with every
WG chair, AD, IAB member, and ISOC staffer.  They're all lovely people,
but not the only lovely people here.  Focus on the documents in the WGs
you care about.

Lee

---

From: "George, Wes" <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 3 Mar 2014 06:24:18 -0500

>attended for one or two days.

WG] I think that perhaps you’re putting too much emphasis on meeting the
“managers” as you keep referring to them, and I’m not convinced that
newcomers meeting *all* the leadership (vs meeting more of the
participants) is a problem that we need to further optimize to solve.

That said, I think the actual takeaway here is that we need to be more
actively encouraging newcomers to attend for the week (to the point of
perhaps having the registration site strongly recommend that one
reconsiders if “day pass” and “newcomer” boxes are both checked on the
registration form, or even offer a first-timer discount for those who
don’t already qualify for the student discount so that a day pass isn’t so
financially attractive). This isn’t a guilt trip to spend more money,
rather, it should be guidance because newcomers are the ones least likely
to realize that a day pass is not a good choice for their first meeting.
Since a day pass is a relatively new option within IETF, I would bet that
none of the newcomer recommended reading mentions it.

While there may be valid cases where a day pass makes sense, I think it
makes acclimating to IETF as a newcomer even harder, and it basically
*ensures* that you won’t attend sessions for WGs in which you are not
active, but look interesting, thus reducing the pool of potential new
contributors.
IMO the problem stated above of not having enough time to meet those you
wish to meet on account of a day pass is not something that we should be
optimizing for.

Wes George

Anything below this line has been added by my company’s mail server, I
have no control over it.
-----------

---

From: Abdussalam Baryun <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 3 Mar 2014 12:55:27 +0100

> unless by "meet" you mean a receiving line.

I meant a welcoming speach while we all newcomers join in one room
only listen, so the 5 leaders meet the newcomers within 10 minute
speach one way communication to new comers (we don't mind remotely
through skype through a large screen to be seen by all).

> but not the only lovely people here.  Focus on the documents in the WGs

Thanks, and don't worry I did my reviews of documents, but just made
my comment experience as an attendant.

AB

---

From: Lou Berger <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 03 Mar 2014 12:08:14 +0000

On 3/3/2014 10:19 AM, Abdussalam Baryun wrote:
 > comers have ability to pay all days

I'm sure that no one will stop you from joining in on a session or not 
talk to you due to this limitation.  (To my memory there's been exactly 
one IETF where the badges were actually enforced -- of course eating 
cookies that you didn't pay for is another matter entirely:-)

Lou