Subject: [90attendees] ietf 90 has a real terminal room

From: Randy Bush <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 20 Jul 2014 02:59:52 -0400

thanks to paul southworth for finding a dec vt520 (no he could not find
a vt100) with a french-canadian keyboard, and warren kumari for still
having rs-232 fu, there is actually a real live terminal in the terminal
room.  from it you can telnet or ssh to services which allow random
clients.  please be gentle and polite.

some random prize goes to whoever can reasonably document the last time
we had real terminals, not pee cees, macs, ..., but real terminals, in
the terminal room.  i remember them in stockholm in july 1995, but i
would think we had them later than that.

it would be cool if folk could find classic terminal-oriented services
accessible from the vt520, e.g., a gopher service, etc.

randy

---

From: Leif Johansson <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 20 Jul 2014 12:04:17 +0200

> would think we had them later than that.

I seem to recall those were sun3s from KTH... Does that count as a terminal?

---

From: Randy Bush <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 20 Jul 2014 07:38:53 -0400

>> i remember them in stockholm in july 1995

no.  but my memory was vt220s

randy

---

From: Ted Hardie <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 20 Jul 2014 06:24:45 -0700

On Sat, Jul 19, 2014 at 11:59 PM, Randy Bush <[email-masked]> wrote:

> t

​There were definitely terminals at IETF 39 in Munich in 1997, because I
remember having
to revert to hunt-and-peck on the German keyboard they provided.​

​Ted​

---

From: Ted Lemon <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 20 Jul 2014 10:13:11 -0400

On Jul 20, 2014, at 9:24 AM, Ted Hardie <[email-masked]> wrote:
> ​There were definitely terminals at IETF 39 in Munich in 1997, because I remember having

I remember at some IETF being somewhat proud of myself for using s-key rather than typing passwords into telnet in the terminal room.