Subject: Re: [90attendees] [90all] Room wireless in the Fairmont

From: Mikael Abrahamsson <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 19 Jul 2014 20:19:42 +0200 (CEST)

(moving to 90attendees instead of 90all)

On Sat, 19 Jul 2014, Tauqeer Safdar wrote:

> I think currently wired connections are not working in guest rooms

It's working in mine. I have my personal wifi NAT router connected to it, 
arrived yesterday (friday), then it was wired to the regular hotel 
Internet where I was asked for billing to room. Since they said when I 
checked in (and gave me a note) that I should accept charges to my room 
(and they would not show up on the final bill because they're included) I 
did so, and the Internet access worked just fine apart from their 
advertising frame injection urging me to upgrade to their more expensive 
package.

Running netalyzr on their connection is not pretty reading. They do lots 
of "evil" stuff to some of the packets.

-- 
Mikael Abrahamsson    email: [email-masked]

---

From: Ondřej Surý <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 20 Jul 2014 09:58:29 +0200 (CEST)

> of "evil" stuff to some of the packets.

This small router with dd-wrt[1] pre-installed might be of interest
to everybody wanting to run (Open)VPN/validating resolver directly
on the personal WiFi router (aka have some privacy[2]).

I've seen too many nasty injected stuff in the network at the hotels,
so I have ended with this.  I've bought mine recently, so I have not
tested yet (and not checked the system integrity yet, etc...), so if
you are interested in hearing results, drop me a note at the end of
IETF.  I expect that there will be some troubles with captive portals,
but unless the network is not broken too much, I don't expect that it
cannot be solved with VPN on 443.

1. http://www.ebay.com/itm/171085144197?ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1497.l2649
2. Disclaimer: you still need to take precautions on your personal
   machine, but anything is improvement over the usual hotel network.

Cheers,
Ondrej

--
 Ondřej Surý -- Chief Science Officer
 -------------------------------------------
 CZ.NIC, z.s.p.o.    --    Laboratoře CZ.NIC
 Americka 23, 120 00 Praha 2, Czech Republic
 mailto:[email-masked]    http://nic.cz/
 -------------------------------------------

---

From: "Fred Baker (fred)" <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 20 Jul 2014 08:17:07 +0000

On Jul 19, 2014, at 2:19 PM, Mikael Abrahamsson <[email-masked]> wrote:

> It's working in mine.

It was not working earlier in the evening, but is working now in my room.

---

From: Chris Elliott <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 20 Jul 2014 08:35:23 -0400

All,

If you have problems with your wired connection please contact the hotel.
Our infrastructure is connected through a VLAN on a trunk port, and we know
that is working well.

Thanks!
Chris.

On Sunday, July 20, 2014, Fred Baker (fred) <[email-masked]> wrote:

>
> On Jul 19, 2014, at 2:19 PM, Mikael Abrahamsson <[email-masked]
> <javascript:;>> wrote:
>
> >

-- 
Chris Elliott
CCIE # 2013

“You and I are mirages that perceive themselves”
--Douglas Hofstadter

---

From: "Fred Baker (fred)" <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 20 Jul 2014 13:19:51 +0000

On Jul 20, 2014, at 8:35 AM, Chris Elliott <[email-masked]> wrote:

> All,
> 
> If you have problems with your wired connection please contact the hotel. Our infrastructure is connected through a VLAN on a trunk port, and we know that is working well.

When I plugged into the room wire, as near as I could tell there was no electricity. I went to the wireless, and that was fine on ietf-hotel. When I saw the note, I checked the wire again, and it worked fine.

> _______________________________________________
> 90attendees mailing list
> [email-masked]
> https://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/90attendees