Subject: [90attendees] Coffee WAS (Re: Tuesday Night, Open House at HackLab.TO (also near the best Toronto coffee)

From: Jamal Hadi Salim <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 19 Jul 2014 10:43:24 -0400

We need that coffee thread started..

On Fri, Jul 18, 2014 at 5:39 PM, Paul Wouters <[email-masked]> wrote:
>
> 1 minute away from HackLab is what I consider the best coffee
> place in Toronto, Moon Bean: http://www.moonbeancoffee.com/
> They close at 9pm. It has powered
> some drafts and an RFC :) If you go there in the morning or early
> afternoon on a weekday, you'll be able to smell beans being
> roasted inside.
>
> Sadly I have no advise for good coffee near the conference.
> There is none :/
>

I havent been to moon bean but i usually visit the st lawrence market
basement coffee shop when i am down here:
www.everydaycoffee.com
It is about a 10 minute walk off wellington. turn right on wellington,
go past bay, yonge, front and it would be on your right hand side.

cheers,
jamal

> Paul
>
> _______________________________________________
> 90attendees mailing list
> [email-masked]
> https://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/90attendees

---

From: Randy Bush <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 19 Jul 2014 13:29:02 -0400

have tried

   balsac's on market, less than one km to the east
   http://www.balzacs.com/locations/market-street/
   acceptable coffee, skip the croissant (margerine is my guess)

   dineen coffee, about half a km up yonge
   http://dineencoffee.com/
   also pretty good.  have not tried food, does have sandwiches

randy

---

From: Andrew Sullivan <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 19 Jul 2014 14:40:55 -0400

Keep in mind that my data is now mostly 6 years old -- I haven't
actually lived in Toronto since 2008, though of course I've been here
a lot in the interim.  But still,

>    acceptable coffee, skip the croissant (margerine is my guess)

The best croissant I ever had in the city and, quite possibly, the
universe, came from http://www.danieletdaniel.ca/.  It's on Carleton
St nearly at the north-west corner of Parliament.  To get there from
the Royal York is quite inconvenient -- probably best would be Yonge
line subway to College station and take the streetcar east on Carleton
(which is what College St. turns into on the east side of Yonge), or
walk the four blocks (which takes you by Allan Gardens, so is actually
quite pleasant on a nice day).  As near as I was ever able to tell,
they used only flour, butter, and yeast.  I seem to recall them as
being expensive -- $5 or something like that -- but worth every penny.
Better than most I ever had in Paris.  If you're walking, you can stop
at Bulldog Coffee, which is just south of Carleton on Granby, a little
street parallel to Carleton (take the first right east of Yonge -- I
forget the name of the street, but if you get to Church you've gone
too far).  They're very serious about the coffee.  In my opinion
they're not as good as they think, but they're pretty good.  

If you're into cutesy neighbourhoods, once you're over by Parliament
you can cross the street (east side) and wander around Cabbagetown.
It bills itself as the largest contiguous preserved Victorian
neighbourhood in North America.  I don't know whether that's true, and
some of it is a little (!)  pretentious, but it's a nice neighbourhood
to walk around (still -- I ran through it yesterday morning).  There's
an old (for Ontario) cemetery there called the Necropolis; it has some
famous Canadians in it, though of course nobody else will have heard
of any of them.  The Necropolis was actually moved there -- it used to
be at Yonge and Bloor, but then people wanted to build in that area,
so they moved the cemetery.  If you wnat to get a meal, there's a
neighbourhoodish restaurant/pub south of Carleton on the west side of
Parliament called the House on Parliament.

My actual favourite coffee in Toronto came from Ideal in the
Kensington market.  I usually bought beans there when I was in the
area.  It was always a total hole, and felt a little too hipsterish
(with the container for "dirty little spoons" and that sort of twee
thing).  But they seemed to know how to roast.  The baristas were a
little uneven -- some could pull a perfect shot, but others were less
good.

Apparently, I'm feeling hommesick.  Anyway, those are places I liked
when I lived here.

A

-- 
Andrew Sullivan
[email-masked]