Subject: [90attendees] Any advice about YYZ checkin?

From: Brian E Carpenter <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 25 Jul 2014 14:02:43 +1200

To someone with relevant experience, how much time should one allow
for check in for a flight to the US?

(Yes, I know that US immigration and customs happens here.)

   Brian

---

From: Mahesh Jethanandani <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 24 Jul 2014 19:18:29 -0700

Do you have a bag to check in? More than customs and immigration it took Air Canada 30 min for me to check my bag that I was eligible to check in for free. All because the system did not recognize my MileagePlus status. 

I would give it 45 min. 

Mahesh Jethanandani 
[email-masked]

On Jul 24, 2014, at 7:02 PM, Brian E Carpenter <[email-masked]> wrote:

> _______________________________________________
> 90attendees mailing list
> [email-masked]
> https://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/90attendees

---

From: Randall Gellens <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 24 Jul 2014 20:54:03 -0700

>  (Yes, I know that US immigration and customs happens here.)

If you have NEXUS or Global Entry, you get expedited egress and 
security.  If you are flying out of T1 and have NEXUS or Global 
Entry, depending on the mood of the day, the expedited security might 
be in effect (but not in name) Pre-Check where you leave liquids and 
laptops in your bag and shoes or flip-flops on your feet.  If you are 
flying out of T3 and have NEXUS or Global Entry, the expedited 
security is just a shorter line.

-- 
Randall Gellens
Opinions are personal;    facts are suspect;    I speak for myself only
-------------- Randomly selected tag: ---------------
It is bad luck to be superstitious.

---

From: [email-masked]
Date: 25 Jul 2014 13:44:16 -0000

>security. 

CATSA (the Canadian version of the TSA) publishes wait times here:

http://www.catsa.gc.ca/waittimes?field_wt_airport_city_value=Toronto

That's just the security wait, not the immigration wait.  If you have
NEXUS or GE, immigration rarely takes more than five minutes.  If you
don't, I'd allow an hour.  It probably won't take an hour, but you can
feel awfully frustrated if your plane leaves while you're still in
the queue.

Also note that T1 commuter flights to the US leave from a group of
gates locally known as Siberia, which are reached after a very long
walk that includes either a flight of stairs or a slow elevator.

R's,
John