Subject: [90attendees] ISOC@IETF 90 Briefing Panel

From: Nicole Armstrong <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 8 Jul 2014 15:21:56 +0000

We are pleased to announce the Internet Society Briefing Panel at IETF 90:

How have Internet security and privacy landscapes changed since the
Internet¹s inception? What challenges do we still need to address, and
will we still be using the same building blocks (TLS, DNSSEC, etc.) ten
years from now? If not, what¹s next? These are the types of questions
we¹ll be asking our panelists at the IETF 90 Internet Society Briefing
Panel on Tuesday, 22 July 2014, called "Internet Security and Privacy: Ten
Years Later."

----------
Session Abstract:

INTERNET SECURITY AND PRIVACY: TEN YEARS LATER
Many fundamental Internet protocols and architectural elements were
designed for relatively closed and controlled networks and later used in a
fairly trusted environment. Then came explosive Internet growth that
changed its very nature - the Internet became a global, open communication
medium to which anyone could connect and contribute.

At the same time, the Internet model was also changing. Concentration and
centralization of certain functions at various Internet architecture
layers created new types of vulnerabilities and, consequently, facilitated
new threats such as pervasive monitoring. These vulnerabilities manifest
themselves in different ways - for instance, in lack of diversity in
implementations of critical security protocols, like TLS.

The number and nature of connected devices is also changing dramatically -
sensors, controllers, appliances, etc., all communicating without human
intervention.

The Internet continues to change and this evolution will continue. How
will security and privacy challenges be addressed ten years from now? What
are the missing building blocks that need to be developed? Will current
approaches allow us to catch up or is a change of paradigm required?

----------

How to Participate

Pre-registration is required for onsite participation and begins on
Wednesday, 9 July 2014.  Due to high demand for limited seating,
registration will be open in two time blocks to account for the broad
range of home timezones of IETF participants.  Registration opens in two
phases for global fairness: 09:00 UTC and 21:00 UTC on 9-July-2014.

Look for the registration form link at the webpage below:
http://www.internetsociety.org/internet-society-briefing-panel-ietf-90

We also plan to have a live webcast of the event (no registration
required).

Information on the ISOC@IETF 90 Panel, webcast details, and an archive of
past ISOC@IETF Briefing Panels is available on our website.
http://www.internetsociety.org/what-we-do/internet-technology-matters/open-
internet-standards/briefing-panels

We hope you can join us!

----------
Nicole Armstrong, CMP, CMM
Internet Society
[email-masked]