Subject: Re: [90attendees] Security for the IETF wireless network

From: "Larry Kreeger (kreeger)" <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 24 Jul 2014 21:38:22 +0000

(narrowing To: list to 90attendees)

What is the difference between ietf.1x and ietf-a.1x?  They both seem to
put me on channel 36 5GHz?  Will one work better than the other for some
reason?

Also note that my Macbook authenticates with both just fine.  :-)

BTW, I would be happy with the proposed SSID change.  It took me several
IETFs before I realized I was allowed onto ietf.1x and found out what the
username/password were.

Thanks, Larry

On 7/24/14 4:38 PM, "IETF Chair" <[email-masked]> wrote:

>While many of us have been working on improved transport and other
>security mechanisms, I¹d like to observe that the default wireless
>network we are using here in Toronto is unencrypted over the air.  I am
>not sure how good practice that is. And it is probably not a good example
>either.
>
>Could we consider making 802.1X the default, for instance, starting in
>Honolulu meeting? At least in the sense of the ietf SSID providing
>security and perhaps ietf-nosec providing the current behaviour?
>
>It would also be helpful if you try it now. The two SSIDs, ietf.1x and
>ietf-a.1x are available now, we recommend you use them and we would
>appreciate your reporting any problems. The user ID and password are both
>'ietf' (sans quotes).
>
>Jari Arkko
>IETF Chair
>(with input from some NOC people)
>

---

From: Jim Martin <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 24 Jul 2014 17:41:55 -0400

Larry,

> put me on channel 36 5GHz?  Will one work better than the other for some

	ietf.1x is WPA2 Enterprise on both 2.4Ghz and 5Ghz. ietf-a.1x is the same security, but only on the 5Ghz band. This is because some OS's don't let you prefer a band, and we wanted to make it easy for people to force 5Ghz, which helps the wireless situation immensely.

	- Jim

---

From: "Andrew G. Malis" <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 25 Jul 2014 13:50:58 -0400

ietf-a.1x is my default SSID for IETF meetings, I've always found it speedy
and reliable (as well as secure).

Cheers,
Andy

On Thu, Jul 24, 2014 at 5:41 PM, Jim Martin <[email-masked]> wrote:

> ietf.1x is WPA2 Enterprise on both 2.4Ghz and 5Ghz. ietf-a.1x is the same
> security, but only on the 5Ghz band. This is because some OS's don't let
> you prefer a band, and we wanted to make it easy for people to force 5Ghz,
> which helps the wireless situation immensely.
>
> - Jim
>
>
> _______________________________________________
> 90attendees mailing list
> [email-masked]
> https://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/90attendees
>
>