Subject: [90attendees] Global Entry and Canada (Nexus too)

From: Jared Mauch <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 16 Jul 2014 13:52:32 -0400

I know some people from the US are driving to Canada.  If you have global entry, you can use your actual RFID card when crossing the land border returning to the US.  Bring it along.  (also, i hope you remembered to activate it when they sent it to you).  When driving up to the customs booth to return to the US there is a large antenna and number that will count up based on the number of GE/Nexus/Fast/Sentri cards you have.  When it has read your card then drive up to the booth.  If it's just you, it should be a much shorter talk with the agent.

If you want to apply for Nexus while at IETF you can do the interviews at the airport. Nexus is $50 (USD/CAD) and you apply at the same website.   Assuming you are provisionally approved, and finally approved, you can automatically apply for global entry (normally $100) for "free". 

Nexus/GE also get you access to TSA Pre lanes if your airline support them and you provide your proper name/birtdate and GE/Nexus number in the Known Traveller Number field in your reservation.

Not many people I know with GE carry those cards, but this is the place where they're the most useful (if you drive to/from Canada).

Don't forget them if you want a bit less of a hassle.

- Jared

---

From: Andrew Sullivan <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 16 Jul 2014 13:56:51 -0400

> Don't forget them if you want a bit less of a hassle.

Also, however, don't forget that if any one person in your car doesn't
have the card, you MUST NOT use the Nexus/GE lane.  Similarly, if you
have anything to declare and so on, you'd better make sure you've
declared correctly, because if you make any mistake you can lose your
card.

It's also worth knowing that the Whirlpool Bridge in Niagara Falls is
NEXUS-only.  With a little bit of awkwardness, it connects to the 420,
which connects to the QEW, which connects to the Gardner Expressway,
which is what takes you to the Fairmont Royal York.

A

-- 
Andrew Sullivan
[email-masked]

---

From: Evan Leibovitch <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 16 Jul 2014 14:05:46 -0400

On Jul 16, 2014 1:51 PM, "Jared Mauch" <[email-masked]> wrote:
>
> I know some people from the US are driving to Canada.  If you have global
entry, you can use your actual RFID card when crossing the land border
returning to the US.

If everyone in the car holds GE/Nexus there are express lanes at most
bridges. The Whirlpool Bridge, located just north of the usual Niagara
Falls crossing, is Nexus-only and NEVER has lineups.

> If you want to apply for Nexus while at IETF you can do the interviews at
the airport. Nexus is $50 (USD/CAD) and you apply at the same website.
Assuming you are provisionally approved, and finally approved, you can
automatically apply for global entry (normally $100) for "free".

Won't work (at least not that fast). Applying for Nexus requires an
appointment where you're interviewed by both Canada and US customs. The
Toronto airport interview centre is backed up about three months, though
the interview centre at Fort Erie (on the Canadian side of the land border
at Buffalo) is less busy.

---

From: Keith Mitchell <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 16 Jul 2014 14:07:46 -0400

On 07/16/2014 01:52 PM, Jared Mauch wrote:
> I know some people from the US are driving to Canada.  If you have 
> global entry, you can use your actual RFID card when crossing the 
> land border returning to the US.  Bring it along.  (also, i hope you 
> remembered to activate it when they sent it to you).  When driving
> up to the customs booth to return to the US there is a large antenna
> and number that will count up based on the number of
> GE/Nexus/Fast/Sentri cards you have.  When it has read your card then
> drive up to the booth.  If it's just you, it should be a much shorter
> talk with the agent.

Thanks for this, am driving over on Saturday - had a couple of questions
since the last time I tried this:

- do you also need to pre-register your car ? I seem to recall something
  about this being needed but maybe got confused in amongst the huge
  jungle of GE/Nexus/Fast/Sentri documents..

- the car lines for the border booths were such a scrum it was kind of
  hard to figure out which lane was for GE, and to maneuver into it in
  enough time :-( Any tips on how to get ahead of that game ?

> Nexus/GE also get you access to TSA Pre lanes if your airline
> support them and you provide your proper name/birtdate and GE/Nexus
> number in the Known Traveller Number field in your reservation.

And IME, then wait 2 years...

> Not many people I know with GE carry those cards, but this is the 
> place where they're the most useful (if you drive to/from Canada).

Cool, appreciate the tips :-)

Keith

---

From: Andrew Sullivan <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 16 Jul 2014 14:11:39 -0400

On Wed, Jul 16, 2014 at 02:07:46PM -0400, Keith Mitchell wrote:
> - do you also need to pre-register your car ?

Not any more, no.

>   enough time :-( Any tips on how to get ahead of that game ?

Not really.  You generally want to look for _any_ special-access sign,
because they all generally boil down to the same thing.  NEXUS is
often what you are looking for, not Global Entry.  Also, the signs are
often tiny.  

A

-- 
Andrew Sullivan
[email-masked]

---

From: [email-masked]
Date: 16 Jul 2014 19:57:25 -0000

>  jungle of GE/Nexus/Fast/Sentri documents..

No, that's SENTRI on the Mexican border.  I've gone through in rented
cars, no problem.

>  enough time :-( Any tips on how to get ahead of that game ?

If you have a NEXUS card, take the Whirlpool Bridge which is always
fast.  (Added wrinkle: the toll is collected automatically, you need
an E-ZPass or a local toll account to pay.)  Andrew or I can give you
directions if you need them.

Otherwise, look at the CBSA's web site to see whether the Rainbow or
Queenston bridge has shorter lines.  If the line is at all long,
you're in the same line as everyone else until the last two minutes
when the traffic spreads out to the separate lanes.  The NEXUS lane is
usually on the far left.

If you're flying, a NEXUS card lets you fly through Canadian customs,
a Global Entry card is only good coming back.