Subject: Re: [90attendees] Musicians?

From: "Joe Hildebrand (jhildebr)" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 22 Jul 2014 13:12:45 +0000

On 7/22/14, 9:03 AM, "Guy Meador III (meadorg)" <[email-masked]> wrote:

>The discussion thread about the piano made me wonder how prevalent
>musicians are represented within our ranks?
>
>For me, it is:
>
>* Trombone (Symphonic, Big Band, etc.)
>* Vocal - Tenor; love to harmonize; although not a member of the
>S.P.E.B.S.Q.S.A., Barbershop singing is always fun!

Whoa.  We found a tenor!  I'm a barbershop Lead, and Michael Ramalho is a
Bari.  Anyone willing to sing Bass?  Even if you've never sung barbershop
before, we can walk you through one of the easy songs if you've got some
basic skills.

-- 
Joe Hildebrand

---

From: "Deccio, Casey" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 22 Jul 2014 13:26:45 +0000

> before, we can walk you through one of the easy songs if you've got some

I'm a tenor, but I'm willing to sing bass if we've got a quorum of barbershoppers...

Casey

---

From: Ted Lemon <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 22 Jul 2014 09:28:12 -0400

> before, we can walk you through one of the easy songs if you've got some

I might be able to pull off baritone (tenor is too high) but can't hit the low notes of a bass part with any volume.

---

From: Tony Hansen <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 22 Jul 2014 09:37:32 -0400

> before, we can walk you through one of the easy songs if you've got some

I sing bass. I prefer singing from music rather than from ear -- give me 
music and I'll sing just about anything.

     Tony

---

From: "STARK, BARBARA H" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 22 Jul 2014 13:36:45 +0000

> before, we can walk you through one of the easy songs if you've got some

I just got back from a weeklong early music workshop playing renaissance trombone and baroque recorders, with a bit of shaped note and madrigal singing (alto/tenor) thrown in. For modern repertoire (classical/jazz) I play trumpet. Never tried barbershop/sweet adeline singing. If y'all were willing to allow for female participation, I think that might be fun. 
Barbara

---

From: Rick Andrews <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 22 Jul 2014 06:40:31 -0700

That's a good description of my abilities too. 

-Rick

> _______________________________________________
> 90attendees mailing list
> [email-masked]
> https://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/90attendees

---

From: "Joe Hildebrand (jhildebr)" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 22 Jul 2014 13:55:49 +0000

On 7/22/14, 9:36 AM, "STARK, BARBARA H" <[email-masked]> wrote:

>Never tried barbershop/sweet adeline singing. If y'all were willing to
>allow for female participation, I think that might be fun.

There are some old-school barbershoppers who grew up in different times
(the most-experienced guy in my chorus is coming up on 64 years of
membership).  I am not in that camp, and would love to have you join us.

I'll be sending out music to folks that have expressed interest.

-- 
Joe Hildebrand

---

From: David C Lawrence <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 22 Jul 2014 10:02:35 -0400

> I'll be sending out music to folks that have expressed interest.

I'm an on-the-fence Tenor 2.  I've been following the discussion with
interest and probably would stop by depending on time and other
conflicts, and not quite ready to commit to performing.

---

From: "Joe Hildebrand (jhildebr)" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 22 Jul 2014 14:10:54 +0000

>conflicts, and not quite ready to commit to performing.

Tenor2 = Lead in barbershop.  It's the easiest part to get started with,
since it's mostly just the melody.

One of the other cool things about barbershop is the near-infinite
patience that the old-timers have shown in teaching me their craft.  I'm
given to understand that this desire to teach folks who haven't done that
much singing yet is quite widespread in chapters around the world.  As
such, I hope you and any other folks who might be on the fence will come
and give it a try.

It's *fun*.

For those who haven't heard barbershop singing before, here is a video of
the quartet that won the international competition a couple of weeks ago:

http://youtu.be/T6HM-oLG_cI?list=PLcwXdNVvSNbgUUsPfS55XQCrcc6XlCpUc

-- 
Joe Hildebrand

---

From: "Norman Finn (nfinn)" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 22 Jul 2014 14:27:01 +0000

Barbershop bari, here, but I’ll take any part in a tag or polecat.

(: Let ‘em guess what a “polecat” is.  :)

— Norm

-----Original Message-----
From: Ted Lemon <[email-masked]>
Date: Tuesday, July 22, 2014 at 09:28 AM
To: "Joe Hildebrand (jhildebr)" <[email-masked]>
Cc: "Guy Meador III (meadorg)" <[email-masked]>, "[email-masked]"
<[email-masked]>, "Michael Ramalho (mramalho)" <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: [90attendees] Musicians?

>I might be able to pull off baritone (tenor is too high) but can't hit
>the low notes of a bass part with any volume.
>

---

From: "Norman Finn (nfinn)" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 22 Jul 2014 14:30:50 +0000

We’ve got a quorum for some tags.  (: Slam-bang endings to songs taught on
the spot. Extraordinarily satisfying to sing. :)  Where do you want to
meet?

— Norm

-----Original Message-----
From: "Joe Hildebrand   (jhildebr)" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tuesday, July 22, 2014 at 10:10 AM
To: David C Lawrence <[email-masked]>
Cc: "Guy Meador III (meadorg)" <[email-masked]>, "[email-masked]"
<[email-masked]>, BARBARA H STARK <[email-masked]>, "Michael Ramalho
(mramalho)" <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: [90attendees] Musicians?

---

From: Dan York <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 22 Jul 2014 14:55:03 +0000

> before, we can walk you through one of the easy songs if you've got some

If you still need a Bass, that's what I typically sing. Haven't done barbershop but sung lots of other types of music.  When are you thinking of singing something during the week?

Dan

---

From: "Joe Hildebrand (jhildebr)" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 22 Jul 2014 16:09:52 +0000

All are welcome.  We'll hopefully have a Very Large Quartet (VLQ).

For those that are available, we're going to meet at 12:30 at the piano
behind the registration desk.  I think there are also some people with
time later, so we'll try again at 16:40.

On 7/22/14, 10:55 AM, "Dan York" <[email-masked]> wrote:

>If you still need a Bass, that's what I typically sing. Haven't done
>barbershop but sung lots of other types of music.  When are you thinking
>of singing something during the week?
>
>Dan
>

-- 
Joe Hildebrand

---

From: Richard Guy Briggs <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 22 Jul 2014 11:25:31 -0400

> I just got back from a weeklong early music workshop playing renaissance
> trombone and baroque recorders, with a bit of shaped note and madrigal
> singing (alto/tenor) thrown in. For modern repertoire (classical/jazz) I play
> trumpet. Never tried barbershop/sweet adeline singing. If y'all were willing
> to allow for female participation, I think that might be fun. 

Ooh, neat!  Where?  CAMMAC?  (My dad, David Briggs was there week 2 playing bass viol.)

I'm headed there by bike from Ottawa Saturday with my kids as soon as I get
back from here Friday night:
	http://tricolour.ca/photos/2013/07/21/12-18-17i1.html
	(notice my daughter's violin in the white bag on my rear rack)

I brought a soprano recorder with me this trip.  I used to play bassoon and a
bit of trumpet.  I've been singing bass in the annual "Come Sing Messiah" since
sometime after I sang soprano at the cenotaph in Ottawa on Remembrance Day in
the late '70s.

Four years ago I picked up a 50 year old Hammond M3 spinet organ with Leslie
speaker and have been attempting to learn keyboards since...

> Barbara

	slainte mhath, RGB

--
Richard Guy Briggs               --  ~\    -- ~\            <hpv.tricolour.net>
<www.TriColour.net>                --  \___   o \@       @       Ride yer bike!
Ottawa, ON, CANADA                  --  Lo_>__M__\\/\%__\\/\%
Vote! -- <greenparty.ca>_____GTVS6#790__(*)__(*)________(*)(*)_________________