Subject: [91attendees] Wireless issues with Intel Centrino cards and the IETF APs

From: Chris Elliott <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 10 Nov 2014 13:54:04 -1000

All,

If you are having issues using the IETF wireless networks, but it works if
you use the ietf-hotel, ietf-public, or ietf-public-a SSIDs, please read
further.

Please try using the new SSID called "ietf-2.4only". This may solve your
problem.

If you continue to have problems please report this either by opening a
ticket or visiting the help desk in the terminal room. See
https://tickets.meeting.ietf.org/ and
https://tickets.meeting.ietf.org/wiki/IETF91network for more information on
getting help.

Details:

We have identified a compatibility issue with the Cisco APs and certain
wireless cards. At this point, all clients affected have been using Intel
Centrino 6xxx AGN cards (where xxx is 200,300,310, and possibly others),
and a Cisco bug ID we've found seems to confirm this.

The bug is fixed in some Cisco images and APs, but it does not appear to be
fixed for the APs we are using here, or we have a new bug. We are actively
working on this issue with Cisco and hope to get a fix soon.

In the meantime, we have implemented a workaround. We have disabled WMM
(Wi-Fi Multimedia) on the 2.4Ghz radio only. We have done this only on this
radio, and not on the 5Ghz radio as disabling this extension disables
802.11n and 802.11ac data rates, and disables MIMO multiple simultaneous
streams, and will result in lower performance.

We have also implemented a new SSID, called "ietf-2.4only" that will allow
clients to select the 2.4Ghz radio.

Clients can also disable the 802.11n and ac data rates on their client card
and they

Enjoy!
Chris.

-- 
Chris Elliott
[email-masked]

---

From: Chris Elliott <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 10 Nov 2014 14:10:09 -1000

Edit: Added the end of the last sentence, below:

On Mon, Nov 10, 2014 at 1:54 PM, Chris Elliott <[email-masked]> wrote:

> https://tickets.meeting.ietf.org/wiki/IETF91network for more information
> on getting help.
>
> Details:
>
> The bug is fixed in some Cisco images and APs, but it does not appear to
> be fixed for the APs we are using here, or we have a new bug. We are
> actively working on this issue with Cisco and hope to get a fix soon.
>
> Clients can also disable the 802.11n and ac data rates on their client
> card and they
>

should be able to use any of our SSIDs on any radio.

-- 
Chris Elliott
[email-masked]