Subject: Re: [91attendees] Using the Bus in Honolulu

From: "Scott Weeks" <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 3 Nov 2014 18:26:31 -0800

--- [email-masked] wrote:
From: Michael Richardson <[email-masked]>
Alan Whinery <[email-masked]> wrote:
    > You may or may not be the sort that plans every second of a trip before
    > you leave. You may find yourself in Honolulu with most of a day to kill,
    > or with a burnt power supply, a missing cable, lack of gluten-free or
    > gluten-enhanced something-or-other. How to escape the surly bonds of
    > Waikiki? How to look around, get a feel for the day-to-day existence of
    > the common people in the REAL Honolulu?

    > TheBus.

    > Get the PDF file:
    > http://mickeydustspeck.com/TheBus-IETF91/TheBus-IETF91.pdf

Thanks for this, it was useful.

But, I'm still not clear if TheBus is a good choice for airport to hotel.
I'm of the can-walk, likes public-transit, tries-never-to-rent-a-car kind of
geek.
-----------------------------------------------------

The bus is not useful from airport to Waikiki.  They don't allow any kind 
of luggage.  Walking from the airport to Waikiki is not feasible, either.
Walking around Waikiki is totally feasible if you're a walking kinda person.
I think the taxi from the airport to Waikiki is in the $20-$30 range.

scott

_______________________________________________
91attendees mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/91attendees

---

From: [email-masked]
Date: 4 Nov 2014 03:26:40 -0000

>of luggage.

Hmmn, look at that.  You're out of luck unless you can disguise your
suitcase as a musical instrument or a boogie board (up to four feet
long is OK.)

The hotel web site touts the SpeediShuttle.  Their web site lets me
reserve it for $26.79 round trip.  Any reason not to do that?

Or do I really need to reserve, or can I just show up?

---

From: Chris Elliott <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 3 Nov 2014 22:39:51 -0500

> Or do I really need to reserve, or can I just show up?

They're a very active service. Lots of busses. I'd recommend a res prime
time, though. If not, look for the folks in red and green Hawaiian shirts
carrying clipboards. Web site has more details for all terminals:

https://speedishuttle.hudsonltd.net/res

> [email-masked] <javascript:;>

-- 
Chris Elliott
CCIE # 2013

“You and I are mirages that perceive themselves”
--Douglas Hofstadter

---

From: Antonio Querubin <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 3 Nov 2014 22:20:34 -1000 (HST)

> I think the taxi from the airport to Waikiki is in the $20-$30 range.

If luggage is just a carry-on that can fit on your lap or underneath the 
seat, the bus is perfectly feasible.  However I suspect most off-island 
attendees are probably packing a bit more...

Antonio Querubin
e-mail:  [email-masked]
xmpp:  [email-masked]

---

From: Michael Richardson <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 04 Nov 2014 12:11:02 -0500

> reserve it for $26.79 round trip.  Any reason not to do that?

My experiences in many places have been that by reserving I simply limited
myself from walking across the isle to the competition if they were
busy/unresponsive.   I keep thinking that I'll get better priority or service
by reserving, but it never seems to be the case.

On the post-Friday, I am staying another nite, but at an airport hotel (cause the
Hilton is full); I'm thinking I can just SpeediShuttle back to the airport,
and take their free shuttle, or do you think SpeediShuttle might drop me
directly?
(Friday afternoon and Saturday I intend to take a surfing lesson)

--
]               Never tell me the odds!                 | ipv6 mesh networks [
]   Michael Richardson, Sandelman Software Works        | network architect  [
]     [email-masked]  http://www.sandelman.ca/        |   ruby on rails    [

---

From: Mikael Abrahamsson <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 8 Nov 2014 18:09:31 +0100 (CET)

On Mon, 3 Nov 2014, Scott Weeks wrote:

> The bus is not useful from airport to Waikiki.  They don't allow any 
> kind of luggage.  Walking from the airport to Waikiki is not feasible, 
> either. Walking around Waikiki is totally feasible if you're a walking 
> kinda person. I think the taxi from the airport to Waikiki is in the 
> $20-$30 range.

Yesterday it cost $36 to get by taxi from the airport to the hilton. Since 
we were three people and had lots of luggage, this still made sense.

-- 
Mikael Abrahamsson    email: [email-masked]

---

From: [email-masked]
Date: 8 Nov 2014 21:20:52 -0000

In article <[email-masked]> you write:
>> kind of luggage.

I see that the weather forecast for the week has a high of 27 and a
low of 21.  With weather like that, my clothes all fit in my backpack,
which appears to be bus-legal.  Will advise.

R's,
John