Subject: Re: [91attendees] Using the Bus in Honolulu

From: "Scott Weeks" <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 7 Nov 2014 19:26:01 -0800

--- [email-masked] wrote:
From: Brian E Carpenter <[email-masked]>

Scott,

On 04/11/2014 18:19, Scott Weeks wrote:
...
> Also, for sightseeing via bus, you're going to take one from Waikiki 
> to downtown Honolulu and transfer to the "circle island" bus.  It's 
> one bus that you don't get off of (unless you want to), but the route 
> number changes.  It's called the number 55 on the east (windward) 
> side and the number 52 along the rest of the route.

Any chance you can clarify *exactly* where the 55 picks up at the Ala Moana Center?
The schedule says stop #426 but that doesn't seem to exist and the center
has bus stops all around it.
-----------------------------------------------------

It picks up at the mountain side of the Ala Moana shopping 
center.  There is a very large area there where all the 
buses pick up.  Once you're on that side, you can't miss it.
It's about mid way down the parking lot/mall.

The bus from Waikiki will likely let you off there, but if
it doesn't, just ask the driver to point it out.  They're
very friendly for the most part.  I believe it circles 
around to the ocean side of the shopping center before 
heading to downtown.  So, you can get on it at multiple 
places around the shopping center.

scott

> 
> _______________________________________________
> 91attendees mailing list
> [email-masked]
> https://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/91attendees
> 
> _______________________________________________
> 91attendees mailing list
> [email-masked]
> https://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/91attendees
>

---

From: Alan Whinery <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 07 Nov 2014 19:04:22 -1000

Hi Brian,

I'd add that although our pointers may seem fuzzy, it's because once you're there, you can walk up and down abot 100 feet of curb and find the sign with "55" on it. 55 actually stops on the mountain side and then a couple minutes later on the ocean side of Ala Moana Center -- 

Mountain:
Kona St + Opp Keeaumoku St (NS)

http://goo.gl/maps/WEJRy

Ocean:
Ala Moana Bl + Ala Moana Center

http://goo.gl/maps/CgdC0

-- 
Sent from my Android device with K-9 Mail. Please excuse my brevity.

---

From: Benjamin Kaduk <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 8 Nov 2014 14:44:50 -0500 (EST)

An unrelated question about The Bus: it looks like route 52 goes across
the middle of the island, taking a bit more than an hour and a half to do
so.

Is that likely to be a scenic trip, or a boring one?

Thanks,

Ben

---

From: Alan Whinery <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 08 Nov 2014 21:19:23 -1000

52 via Pearl City, Wahiawa, Haleiwa is probably scenic/boring. If you go
with someone you like sharing experiences with, or have a decent podcast
on the earbuds, it's probably OK.

It will include commercial districts, sugar/pineapple/coffee/macadamia
(I think those are macadamias up in the Wahiawa Saddle?) fields,
residential, and etc. Some interesting breaks like the Dole Plantation
tourist attraction.

The 52 (as Scott said) in combo with the 55 is what's called the "Circle
Island" itinerary, and has been popular with the "see how little we can
spend and still do something" crowd for 43 years.

If you take the transfer (always ask for/take the transfer) you can stop
for lunch in Haleiwa, or something, and choose to return on 52, or
continue on 55, which will go north-shore -> windward -> mountains ->
downtown -> back to Ala Moana Center.