Subject: [91attendees] Coffee brand?

From: Stefan Winter <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 13 Nov 2014 04:09:25 +0100

Hi,

the coffee that's served here in the session breaks is seriously the
best I ever had in my life.

Does anyone have good confirmed knowledge what brand they are serving
here in the Hilton?

If so... my luggage has plenty of space for it.

Greetings,

Stefan Winter

---

From: "Hoang Pham (hoanpham)" <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 13 Nov 2014 20:20:35 +0000

Hi Stefan,

According the HHV Event Planning Manager, the coffee brand is Hawaiian Isle blend.

Regards,
hP

-----Original Message-----
From: Bernie Livelo [mailto:[email-masked]] 
Sent: Wednesday, November 12, 2014 7:44 PM
To: Hoang Pham (hoanpham)
Subject: RE: [91attendees] Coffee brand?

Aloha Hoang,

It's called Hawaiian Isle blend.

Let me know if you need anything else.

Mahalo,

B)

Bernie Livelo
Senior Event Manager
Hilton Hawaiian Village Waikiki Beach Resort

2005 Kalia Road
Honolulu, Hawaii  96815

Office:           808-948-7739
Cell:               808-594-3438
Email:            [email-masked]
Website:        www.HiltonHawaiianVillage.com

-----Original Message-----
From: Hoang Pham (hoanpham) [mailto:[email-masked]]
Sent: Wednesday, November 12, 2014 5:12 PM
To: Bernie Livelo
Subject: FW: [91attendees] Coffee brand?

Aloha Bernie,

Would you happen to know?

Regards,
Hoang

-----Original Message-----
From: 91attendees [mailto:[email-masked]] On Behalf Of Stefan Winter
Sent: Wednesday, November 12, 2014 7:09 PM
To: [email-masked]
Subject: [91attendees] Coffee brand?

Hi,

the coffee that's served here in the session breaks is seriously the best I ever had in my life.

Does anyone have good confirmed knowledge what brand they are serving here in the Hilton?

Greetings,

Stefan Winter

________________________________

This transmission is not a digital or electronic signature and cannot be used to form, document, or authenticate a contract. Hilton and its affiliates accept no liability arising in connection with this transmission. Copyright 2014 Hilton Worldwide Proprietary and Confidential

---

From: Alexandre Petrescu <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 13 Nov 2014 21:49:35 +0100

Do they produce coffee beans in Hawai'i?  Arabica (round) or Robusta 
(long)?  Or is just the blending a local recipe?

If I were to reproduce Hawaiian Isle blend back home I would need to 
know grilling time, temperature and the mix percentages and boiling time 
and pressure :-)

It is very good - thank you.

(btw - tea was also interesting, and too bad we didnt have mint tea, and 
infusions).

Alex

Le 13/11/2014 21:20, Hoang Pham (hoanpham) a écrit :
> _______________________________________________
> 91attendees mailing list
> [email-masked]
> https://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/91attendees
>
>

---

From: Stephen Botzko <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 13 Nov 2014 10:56:12 -1000

>>>Do they produce coffee beans in Hawai'i?
Yes, Arabica beans are grown on at least two islands (Hawaii and Kauai).

On Thu, Nov 13, 2014 at 10:49 AM, Alexandre Petrescu <
[email-masked]> wrote:

> If I were to reproduce Hawaiian Isle blend back home I would need to know
> grilling time, temperature and the mix percentages and boiling time and
> pressure :-)
>
>> This transmission is not a digital or electronic signature and cannot be
>> used to form, document, or authenticate a contract. Hilton and its
>> affiliates accept no liability arising in connection with this
>> transmission. Copyright 2014 Hilton Worldwide Proprietary and Confidential

---

From: Alan Whinery <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 13 Nov 2014 10:56:39 -1000

Coffee is an important crop on the Island of Hawaii, more recently on Kauai.

Some coffee grows on Oahu, I don't know the extent, or the
commecialization of it.

"Kona" coffee, from Island of Hawaii and Kauai Coffee feature
prominently in the Hawaii parts of most gift shops.

Long's drug, at the far end of Ala Moana Center, may offer more
reasonable prices. Also Wal-Mart and Sam's Club, which are within hiking
distance.

On 11/13/2014 10:49 AM, Alexandre Petrescu wrote:
> know grilling time, temperature and the mix percentages and boiling
> time and pressure :-)
>
> (btw - tea was also interesting, and too bad we didnt have mint tea,
> and infusions).
>
> Alex
>
>> This transmission is not a digital or electronic signature and cannot
>> be used to form, document, or authenticate a contract. Hilton and its

---

From: Loa Andersson <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 13 Nov 2014 21:56:54 +0100

Alexandre,

> (long)?  Or is just the blending a local recipe?

I don't know to much about coffee or coffee beans - just drink it black
whenever I can get it!

However I took a tour last Friday, and the guide told us that Hawaii is
the furthest from the Equator that they grow coffee. Quite a bit of
industry here.

/Loa

-- 

Loa Andersson                        email: [email-masked]
Senior MPLS Expert                          [email-masked]
Huawei Technologies (consultant)     phone: +46 739 81 21 64

---

From: [email-masked]
Date: 13 Nov 2014 21:26:24 -0000

>the furthest from the Equator that they grow coffee. Quite a bit of

Just goes to show, you shouldn't believe everything a tour guide tells
you.  Hawaii is about 21 N latitude, while Paraná in Brazil is about
24 S, and grows vast amounts of coffee.  This may be the farthest
north that anyone grows coffee commercially, although there is coffee
grown in Veracruz, Mexico, which may be slightly farther north.

I agree that the hotel coffee is quite good, but I would be pretty
surprised if it contained any beans grown in Hawaii.  Coffee from Kona
is very expensive, like two or three times coffee from other places.
If there were any local beans in the coffee, there would be large
signs saying Kona and it would cost extra.

---

From: Stefan Winter <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 14 Nov 2014 01:06:26 +0100

Hi,

> you.  Hawaii is about 21 N latitude, while Paran� in Brazil is about

I got an off-list reply with much more in-depth insights. Not sure why
the person didn't go on-list, so let the name remain a mystery, but for
all the coffee lovers I'm spoiling the actual info now:

"The coffee that the hotel uses is in concentrate liquid form for high volume dispensing machines.

Decaf brand is Javo, house blend.
Regular coffee is Hawaiian Paradise Coffee Company, Kona blend, www.hawaiianparadisecoffee.com"

Visiting that website suggests that this must be the *10%* Kona blend.
So the coffee seems to actually contain traces of Kona, even if there
are no big signs around it.

So I bought 10% Kona and also 100% Kona just to have samples of both.
ABC Store does not have the exact same vendor Hawaiian Paradise, so I
settled for some other Kona. Hoping that it turns out tasty when I'm
back home. After all, taste is also dependent on context, and being in
Hawaii certainly has the potential to bias the contextual experience to
the better.

If someone finds "Hawaiian Paradise" shops nearby, I'm happy to take advice.
Stefan

---

From: "John R Levine" <[email-masked]>
Date: 13 Nov 2014 14:28:16 -1000

> If someone finds "Hawaiian Paradise" shops nearby, I'm happy to take advice.

A little poking around on their web site suggests that they are primarly a 
food service brand, but they do sell at Longs Drugs.  There's one in the 
Ala Moana mall, which is about a 15 minute walk from the hotel.  Or you 
can mail order from the web site.

Regards,
John Levine, [email-masked], Taughannock Networks, Trumansburg NY
Please consider the environment before reading this e-mail.