Subject: [91attendees] SCAM warning

From: William Atwood <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 11 Nov 2014 12:05:06 -0500

"Vacation Breeze" is a company operating here in Honolulu that is
selling access to "discount vacations".  We were approached on the
street by a representative who invited us to a 90-minute presentation,
and offered a "cash + gift" incentive just for showing up.

BE AWARE that this company is not as it presents itself.

They claim to offer deep discounts for vacation properties (hotels,
cruises, package vacations, etc.).  This is done by accessing a
web-based program.

In the presentation, they claimed to have an "A+" rating with the Better
Business Bureau.  In fact, their rating is "C+", with 21 registered
complaints here in Honolulu alone.

In the presentation, they claimed to have properties available all over
the world.  When we tried to see what was available in two or three
places where we would be interested in going, there was nothing available.

Do not go to the presentation unless you are willing to waste your time
for the "cash + gift".

  Bill Atwood

-- 
Dr. J.W. Atwood, Eng.             tel:   +1 (514) 848-2424 x3046
Distinguished Professor Emeritus  fax:   +1 (514) 848-2830
Department of Computer Science
   and Software Engineering
Concordia University EV 3.185     email:[email-masked]
1455 de Maisonneuve Blvd. West    http://users.encs.concordia.ca/~bill
Montreal, Quebec Canada H3G 1M8

---

From: Charlie Perkins <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 11 Nov 2014 09:51:54 -0800

Hello folks,

I love Indian food.  Last night we went to Monsoon India.

Bad:
- We requested spicy food, but got very low spiciness.
- Annoying, defective blinking light shining at us
- Slow service
- First table we were shown was unstable.  We moved.
- Noisy.  I noticed zero soundproofing on the ceiling.
- The rice was dry.
- The prices are high (o.k. yes I know where it's located).

Good:
- Chicken Tikka Masala was tasty.
- The naan bread was hot and relatively good.
- The condiments were delicious (but small portions).
- It's close to the hotel (see "high prices").
- The servers are friendly.

If anyone has an alternate recommendation for Indian
food please let me know :-)  Otherwise I'll wait until I
get back home to get Indian food again.

Regards,
Charlie P.

---

From: [email-masked]
Date: 11 Nov 2014 23:58:45 -0000

>and offered a "cash + gift" incentive just for showing up.

To save, time, you can assume with a very low error rate that all time
share/condo/vacation promos are scams.  If the product they're selling
were any good, they wouldn't need to bribe you to sit through a sales
pitch.

R's,
John

---

From: Warren Kumari <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 11 Nov 2014 16:51:44 -1000

On Tuesday, November 11, 2014, <[email-masked]> wrote:

> In article <[email-masked] <javascript:;>> you write:

Unless you enter, knowing there will be a sales pitch, and the bribe is
significantly good.

My wife and I went on a fairly nice 5 day vacation (including flights,
dinners and some walking around money) in exchange for sitting through a 45
minute timeshare sales pitch, at the end of which we declined politely and
left.

W

>
> R's,
> John
>
> _______________________________________________
> 91attendees mailing list
> [email-masked] <javascript:;>
> https://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/91attendees
>

-- 
I don't think the execution is relevant when it was obviously a bad idea in
the first place.
This is like putting rabid weasels in your pants, and later expressing
regret at having chosen those particular rabid weasels and that pair of
pants.
   ---maf