Subject: [97all] IETF 97 Thursday Tech Talk Speaker Series!

From: IETF Secretariat <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 16 Nov 2016 02:22:27 -0800

IETF 97 - Thursday Tech Talk Speaker Series

Date: Thursday, November 17th
Time: 12:30 - 13:15
Room: Park Ballroom 1
(Note: Lunch WILL be provided)

Please note that Huawei has generously decided to provide
lunch. Seating and food will be limited because of room size.

Speaker: Andrew G. Malis, Huawei Distinguished Engineer

Topic: Service Experience Assured Networks (SEAN)

Topic Description: 
With more and more fixed and mobile services requiring ultra
low latency and/or assured bandwidth, such as
Vehicles-To-Vehicles, interactive 4/8K video, and augmented and
virtual reality, a number of Standards Development Organizations
have already started related initiatives. Examples of these
include Flex Ethernet (OIF), Time Sensitive Networking
(IEEE802.1TSN), DetNet (IETF), Broadband Assured Services (BBF),
and so on, which are mostly link/port/node-based technologies and
can be used to build local or campus-scale and special-purposed
networks. The burning question is if it is feasible to provide
low latency and/or assured bandwidth end-to-end services over
wide area packet networks, including the Internet, with mixed
traffic and technologies. What are the contributing factors that
cause latency across packet networks? What can we learn from how
low-latency services are provided across specific technologies?

This talk will take a look at the current state of the art,
introduce the use cases, and sow the seeds for some ideas about
how to optimize WAN latency.

Speaker Biography: 
Andrew G. Malis is a Distinguished Engineer at Huawei
Technologies. He specializes in product and network architecture
and future evolution; standards leadership (internal and external
to the company); customer consultation; and SDN, NFV, IP, MPLS,
Ethernet, and other telecom and data networking protocols.
Previously, he has held senior engineering positions at Verizon,
Tellabs, Cascade Communications, and BBN. He also holds standards
leadership positions as Services Area Director and Technical
Council Member at the Open Networking Foundation (ONF) and as a
Working Group co-chair and a member of the Routing Directorate in
the IETF. He has held leadership roles in other standards
organizations, including board memberships and
president/chairman. He has written and contributed to many
technology standards, including having authored a number of RFCs,
and has spoken and chaired at numerous industry conferences.