Subject: [AAA-DOCTORS] FW: Evaluation: draft-ietf-sieve-managesieve-06.txt to Proposed Standard

From: "Romascanu, Dan (Dan)" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 6 Jan 2009 12:38:56 +0100

A URL of this Internet-Draft is:
http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-ietf-sieve-managesieve-05.txt

Technical Summary

  Sieve scripts allow users to filter incoming email.  Message stores
  are commonly sealed servers so users cannot log into them, yet users
  must be able to update their scripts on them.  This document
  describes a protocol "ManageSieve" for securely managing Sieve
  scripts on a remote server.  This protocol allows a user to have
  multiple scripts, and also alerts a user to syntactically flawed
  scripts.

Working Group Summary
  There was a discussion on the mailing list about use of synchronizing
  literals in the protocol. An earlier version incorrectly documented
  existing practice and at the same time was inconsistent with IMAP
  LITERAL+ extension. So there was a concern that some existing
  implementation might implement this incorrectly. However the author
  is not aware of any such implementation.

  More recently, there has been discussion of the overall command
  structure, mandatory-to-implement security mechanisms, and of some
  specific details in the sieve URL format. Consensus appears to have
  been reached on all of these issues.

Document Quality
  There are multiple server and client implementations of the
  ManageSieve protocol. The following is an incomplete list of servers
  implementing ManageSieve: CMU, Dbmail, Dovecot, Isode, ArchiveOpteryx,
  pysieved (Python Managesieve Server), Citadel.

  The following clients are known to implement ManageSieve: Mulberry,
  Phil Pennock's sieve-connect, Polymer, Ruby/ManageSieve,
  Net-ManageSieve (perl), SIEVE plugin for Thunderbird, KMail, gsieve,
  Emacs-based ManageSieve implementation.

  Note that many if not most of these implementtations were written
  according to earlier versions of the specification and may require
  updates to be compliant with the current version.

Personnel

  Ned Freed is the Document Shepherd.
  Lisa Dusseault reviewed this for the IESG.

_______________________________________________
AAA-DOCTORS mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/aaa-doctors