Subject: [AAA-DOCTORS] FW: Evaluation: draft-ietf-pce-of-06.txt to Proposed Standard

From: "Romascanu, Dan (Dan)" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 6 Jan 2009 20:11:45 +0100

A URL of this Internet-Draft is:
http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-ietf-pce-of-05.txt

Technical Summary

   The computation of one or a set of Traffic Engineering Label 
   Switched Paths (TE LSPs) in MultiProtocol Label Switching (MPLS)
   and Generalized MPLS (GMPLS) networks, is subject to a set of one
   or more specific optimization criteria, referred to as objective 
   functions (e.g. minimum cost path, widest path, etc.).

   In the Path Computation Element (PCE) architecture, a Path
   Computation Client (PCC) may want a path to be computed for one or
   more TE LSPs according to a specific objective function. Thus, the
   PCC needs the ability to instruct the PCE to use the correct 
   objective function. Furthermore, it is possible that not all PCEs  
   support the same set of objective functions, therefore it is useful
   for the PCC to be able to automatically discover the set of objective
   functions supported by each PCE.

   This document defines extensions to the PCE communication Protocol
   (PCEP) to allow a PCE to indicate the set of objective functions it
   supports. Extensions are also defined so that a PCC can indicate in
   a path computation request the required objective function, and so
   that a PCE can report in a path computation reply the objective
   function that was used for path computation.

Working Group Summary

   No controversy reported (see PROTO writeup by Adrian Farrel). The 
   I-D had a good level of review and discussion when it was first 
   introduced. However, the last year has been quiet and the working
   group last call produced no comments. To be sure that there was
   support, the working group was asked to provide explicit review
   and approval. A number of participants responded supporting 
   publication. 

Document Quality

   A private survey has revealed several implementations of the 
   PCEP extensions defined in this document. Furthermore, there 
   are several further extensions in the pipeline that make use
   of these extensions to enable new applications of PCE. The 
   document was updated in response to IETF last call comments. 

Personnel

   Adrian Farrel is the Document Shepherd for this document.  Ross
   Callon is the Responsible Area Director.  

RFC Editor Note

  (Insert RFC Editor Note here or remove section)

IRTF Note

  (Insert IRTF Note here or remove section)

IESG Note

  (Insert IESG Note here or remove section)

IANA Note

  (Insert IANA Note here or remove section)

_______________________________________________
AAA-DOCTORS mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/aaa-doctors