Subject: [AAA-DOCTORS] FW: Evaluation: draft-ietf-idr-flow-spec-03.txt to Proposed Standard

From: "Romascanu, Dan (Dan)" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 6 Jan 2009 17:52:05 +0100

A URL of this Internet-Draft is:
http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-ietf-idr-flow-spec-03.txt

Technical Summary

   This document defines a new BGP NLRI encoding format that can be used
   to distribute traffic flow specifications.  This allows the routing
   system to propagate information regarding more-specific components of
   the traffic aggregate defined by an IP destination prefix.

   Additionally it defines two applications of that encoding format.
   One that can be used to automate inter-domain coordination of traffic
   filtering, such as what is required in order to mitigate
   (distributed) denial of service attacks.  And a second application to
   traffic filtering in the context of a BGP/MPLS VPN service.

   The information is carried via the Border Gateway Protocol (BGP),
   thereby reusing protocol algorithms, operational experience and
   administrative processes such as inter-provider peering agreements.

Working Group Summary

   Was there anything in the WG process that is worth noting?
   For example, was there controversy about particular points 
   or were there decisions where the consensus was
   particularly rough? 

Document Quality

There are multiple, interoperable implementations. There were no LC
comments during WG LC although the technology and draft have been known,
discussed and available for many years.   

Personnel

   Yakov Rekhter is the Document Shepherd for this document. Dave Ward
is the Area Director.  

IANA Note

Future assignments beyond what is specified in the draft are to be made
using either the Standards Action process defined in [RFC2434], the
Early IANA Allocation process defined in [RFC4020], or the "First Come
First Served" policy defined in [RFC2434].

_______________________________________________
AAA-DOCTORS mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/aaa-doctors