Subject: [AAA-DOCTORS] FW: WG Review: Dispatch (dispatch)

From: "Romascanu, Dan (Dan)" <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 18 Mar 2009 17:31:07 +0100

-----Original Message-----
From: [email-masked] [mailto:[email-masked]] On Behalf Of
IESG Secretary
Sent: Wednesday, March 18, 2009 4:37 PM
To: [email-masked]
Subject: WG Review: Dispatch (dispatch) 

A new IETF working group has been proposed in the Real-time Applications
and Infrastructure Area.  The IESG has not made any determination as
yet.
The following draft charter was submitted, and is provided for
informational purposes only.  Please send your comments to the IESG
mailing list ([email-masked]) by Wednesday, March 25, 2009.

Dispatch (dispatch)
--------------------------------------------------
Last Modified: 2009-03-12

Current Status: Proposed Working Group

Group Description: 

The Dispatch working group is chartered to consider proposals for
  new work in the RAI area and identify, or help create, an appropriate
  venue for the work. Options for handling new work include:

  - Assigning the work to an existing WG.
  - Developing a proposal for a BOF.
  - Developing a charter and establishing consensus for a new WG
    or Exploratory Group. This option will primarily be used with
    fairly mature and well-defined efforts.
  - Rejecting and deferring work.

  A major objective of the DISPATCH WG is to provide timely, clear
  dispositions of new efforts. Where there is consensus to take
  on new work, the WG will strive to quickly find a home for it.
  Reconsideration of proposals which have failed to gather consensus
  will be prioritized behind proposals for new work which have not
  yet been considered. In general, requests for reconsideration
  should only be made once a proposal has been significantly
  revised.

  The DISPATCH WG will also operate as an area wide WG where ideas can
  be discussed that do not currently have a logical venue for the work
  to be done. As part of this function, the WG will evaluate SIP Event
  Packages that were not developed inside some other area working group.

  Guiding principles will include:

  1. Providing a clear problem statement for proposed new work.

  2. Prioritizing new efforts so that RAI does not take on more work
     than it can effectively complete.

  3. Looking for commonalities among ongoing development efforts.
     Such commonalities may indicate the need to develop more
     general, reusable components.

  4. Protecting the architectural integrity of RAI protocols and
ensuring that work has general applicability.

  The WG may take on some of the previous work items from the SIPPING
working group to allow a smooth transition. If the group decides that a
particular topic needs to be addressed by a new or existing WG, this is
still followed by the usual IETF chartering process, including, for
instance, IETF-wide review of the proposed changes. Proposal for large
work efforts SHOULD lead to a BOF where the topic can be discussed in
front of the entire IETF community.

Milestones:
    TBD