Subject: [AAA-DOCTORS] FW: WG Review: Session Initiation Protocol Core (SIPCore)

From: "Romascanu, Dan (Dan)" <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 18 Mar 2009 17:31:38 +0100

-----Original Message-----
From: [email-masked] [mailto:[email-masked]] On Behalf Of
IESG Secretary
Sent: Wednesday, March 18, 2009 6:29 PM
To: [email-masked]
Subject: WG Review: Session Initiation Protocol Core (SIPCore) 

A new IETF working group has been proposed in the Real-time Applications
and Infrastructure Area.  The IESG has not made any determination as
yet.
The following draft charter was submitted, and is provided for
informational purposes only.  Please send your comments to the IESG
mailing list ([email-masked]) by Wednesday, March 25, 2009.

Session Initiation Protocol Core (SIPCore)
--------------------------------------------------
Current Status: Proposed Working Group

Last Modified: 2009-03-12

Group Description:

The Session Initiation Protocol Core (SIPCore) working group is
chartered to maintain and continue the development of the core SIP
specifications, currently defined as proposed standard RFCs 3261, 3262,
3263, 3264, and 3265.

The SIPCore working group will concentrate on specifications that update
or replace the core SIP specifications. In this context, "update" means
replacing or modifying protocol elements in the above listed RFCs in
ways that would affect most or all implementations of those RFCs alone.
Extensions to SIP that add new functionality that would not be required
of all implementations will be done outside of this WG. The process and
requirements for such extensions are documented in RFC 3427bis, "Change
Process for the Session Initiation Protocol".

Throughout its work, the group will strive to maintain the basic model
and architecture defined by SIP. In particular:

1. Services and features are provided end-to-end whenever possible.

2. Reuse of existing Internet protocols and architectures and
integrating with other Internet applications is crucial.

The primary source of change requirements will be a) interoperability
problems that stem from ambiguous or under-defined specification, and b)
requirements from other working groups in the RAI Area.

Although in general the WG will not work on extensions to SIP, it may
take on some previous work items from the SIP working group to allow for
a smooth transition. The adoption of new items requires explicit
agreement from the AD or rechartering.

Goals and Milestones:

Mar 2009 Identify requirements for test matrix to move 3261 to Draft
Standard Mar 2009 Essential corrections to RFC 3261 (1st batch) to IESG
(PS) May 2009 Delivering request-URI and parameters to UAS via proxy to
IESG (PS) May 2009 INFO package framework to IESG (PS)