Subject: [AAA-WG]: Question about routing request and answer

From: "Sangkeun Yoo" <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 13 Sep 2001 13:42:40 +0900

Hi all,

First, I want to say I'm sorry if this was discussed before.

In the Diameter Base Protocol(07.txt),

6.1.8  Relaying and Proxying Requests

   A relay or proxy agent MUST append a Route-Record AVP to all requests
   forwarded. The AVP contains the identity of the peer the request was
   received from.

As above discription, Route-Record AVP contains the peer's information the 

request was received from.

But in the "Figure 5:Routing of Diameter messages" in the section 6.1.8, 

it contains its own information in the Route-Record AVP in the request from

DRL to HMS.

And in the 6.8.1,

6.8.1  Route-Record AVP

   The Route-Record AVP (AVP Code 282) is of type DiameterIdentity.  The
   identity added in this AVP MUST be the same as the one sent in the 
   Origin-Host of the Capabilities-Exchange-Request message.

As above discription, Route-Record AVP contains its own information. 

Which is correct? 

One more question,

In the 6.2.2,

6.2.2  Relaying and Proxying Answers

.......................

   The agent MUST then send the answer to the host which it received the
   original request from.

Does Route-Record AVP must appear in answer message or not?

I wonder how the agent can know the host that the original request was received from.

Is it from Route-Record AVP or saved source of the reqeust including the IP address,

port and protocol discribed in section 6.1.8?

If from Route-Record AVP, in the Figure 5 there is no Route-Record AVP 

in the answer message from HMS to DRL.

I think that HMS can know the host it has to send answer message to 

from Route-Record(drl.mno.net) it received, right? 

But even if Route-Record AVP from HMS to DRL is omitted by editorial error, 

how can DRL know the host it has to relay answer message to, while Route-Record

indicates its own information?

Regards,

Sangkeun Yoo.
-------------- 
Email: [email-masked] 
AAA Information Security Research Team
Electronics and Telecommunications Research Institute(ETRI)