Subject: [AAA-WG]: Questions on key generation in mobileip-08

From: "Mark Jones" <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 30 Sep 2001 17:23:38 -0400

Hi,

I'd appreciate some clarification on the Key Distribution Center
responsibilities in the -08 draft.

The text in 5.x refers to the generation of Registration Keys. In the KDC
AVP descriptions, there is no mention of registration keys but they do
contain Session-Key AVPS. I'm assuming these are one and the same. If not,
how does one generate the session key?

How is the Foreign-Home Registration Key generated? Is it the same as the
Mobile-Home and Mobile-Foreign Registration Keys (i.e. as per
draft-ietf-mobileip-aaa-keys-08)?

For a given AMR/HAR/HAA/AMA exchange, is the MIP-Key-Material in the
MIP-MN-to-FA-Key AVP permitted to have the same value as that in the
MIP-MN-to-HA-Key AVP or must they be different?

Regards,
       Mark

---

From: Pat Calhoun <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 30 Sep 2001 19:37:14 -0700

> how does one generate the session key?

they are one and the same.

> draft-ietf-mobileip-aaa-keys-08)?

MN-HA is a little different since key material is sent to the mobile node.
However, the key received by the HA is the same as how the FA-HA keys
are generated.

> MIP-MN-to-HA-Key AVP or must they be different?

aaa-keys spec states that the keys are dynamically generated, each using
a different random value.

PatC