Subject: [AAA-WG]: Question re: draft-mobileip-07 / 1.4 Allocation of HA in Foreign Network

From: "Bob Kopacz" <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 27 Sep 2001 07:58:37 -0400

Hi,

Is my understanding correct here?

From the text and diagrams, it appears that when the HA is allocated in the
foreign network, the AAAH targets the HAR to the specific AAAF which forwarded
the AMR, not to any old AAA server in the foreign network.

If this is the case, then to ensure that the HAR is routed to the specific
AAAF, the HAR's Destination-Realm AVP and Destination-Host AVP must be:

1. The HAR's Destination-Realm AVP contains AAAF's realm.
2. The HAR's Destination-Host AVP contains AAAF's DiameterIdentity.

So...

1. The HAR's Destination-Realm is set to the value of the AMR's
Origin-Realm.  This is the FA's realm, which is the same as the AAAF's
realm.

2. The HAR's Destination-Host is set to the value of the AMR's first
Route-Record AVP.  This requires that no-one is hiding network topology by
removing Route-Record AVPs (per section 6.3 of base document).

Bob K.

---

From: David Spence <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 27 Sep 2001 14:13:15 -0400

Bob,

Per my issue 95:

   Requested change: 

   Delete section 6.3. Or because this section has been here for a while, 
   it may be safer to change 6.3 to state that an agent MUST NOT remove 
   Route-Record AVPs. 

This issue is listed as resolved in Base-08.  However, the reasoning behind
issue 95 was that source routing of answers could not be properly
implemented if Route-Record AVPs were hidden.  However, issue 117 has since
been resolved in favor of removing support for source routing.  Therefore,
the reasoning behind issue 95 has since evaporated.  

Therefore, thank you for documenting another reason for not removing
Route-Record AVPs.

Pat, can you confirm that issue 95 remains resolved as documented, that is,
that section 6.3 has been deleted?

David Spence

---

From: Pat Calhoun <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 27 Sep 2001 19:12:14 -0700

> that section 6.3 has been deleted?

I checked -08 alpha 01, and it is in fact removed.

PatC