Subject: [AAA-WG]: passive access device in CMS case

From: Pat Calhoun <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 24 Sep 2001 04:12:32 -0700

All,

My co-author and I have recently been chatting about the progression
of CMS (or lack thereof :(, and had a concern about one of the recent
examples that was added to the CMS draft:

"- The access device may have the cryptographic ability to perform
   CMS functions locally, but does not request a DSAR to request a DSA. 
   The local agent, however, has been configured to establish DSAs with
   certain realms automatically, hiding the existence of the DSAs from
   the access device."

His concern is simply that the above scenario requires no additional
signaling, and in such cases the proxy is no different from an access
device. 

So he would prefer to see this example removed.

Comments,

PatC

---

From: Miguel Ángel Monjas Llorente <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 24 Sep 2001 14:48:39 +0200

Pat Calhoun wrote:
> of CMS (or lack thereof :(,

I'm sorry that you think there's no progression of CMS. IMHO a great
task of clarification and improvement was being made so that I regret
you both don't think the same...

> and had a concern about one of the recent

Well, I'm the proponent of such an scenario and I'd like to explain
the reason I had to suggest it: although it doesn't require any
additional signalling it is a very likely scenario. Maybe you may
think that this is only an specification of a Diameter application, so
that only syntax must be described and that anything that isn't
forbidden is allowed, but I think that some kind of guidance doesn't
harm anyone. But it's up to you deciding what must be inside the
specification.

However, and according to Stephen's comments, maybe the scenario could
be changed:

 - The local agent has been configured to establish DSAs with
   certain realms automatically, hiding the existence of the DSAs from
   the access device. This scenario requires no additional signaling,
   and in such cases the proxy is no different from an access device.

Regards

  // M.A.

-- 
  Miguel Angel Monjas Llorente
  Systems Engineer, GSM/UMTS Systems Management
  Ericsson España, S.A. (EEM) UMTS/GSM Databases
  Tel: +34 91 3393605                 Mob: +34 629 570196
  <mailto:[email-masked]> Fax: +34 91 3392538
  Ombú 3, 10th. 28045 Madrid - SPAIN -

---

From: Pat Calhoun <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 24 Sep 2001 07:27:10 -0700

> you both don't think the same...

Sorry... I should have qualified the progression of getting a spec out, not the
increase in quality :(

>    and in such cases the proxy is no different from an access device.

Stephen?

PatC