Subject: [AAA-WG]: failover question

From: Yiwen Jiang <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 4 Sep 2001 15:05:53 -0400

Hi Pat,

I have a question regarding how failover is handled based on -07. I went to
the I-D, but couldn't find answer for this question.

I understand that when a Diameter peer has detected that the connection with
its remote peer has been lost via the watchdog timer, it will failover to an
alternate host in its peer table. However, what happens when all the
alternate hosts are down, and the Diameter cannot forward any messages to
them? Or, if there is no other peers specified in the peer table? 

How would the base protocol notify its applications about this situation?
Or, what would be your recommendation on how the application detects such
situation, since the watchdog timers and such are all hidden from all
Diameter applications?

Thanks.

Cheers,
Yiwen
---
Yiwen Jiang
Mobile IP Networking
Email: [email-masked]
Phone: (613)271-7710

Telecom Innovation Centre
505 March Road
Kanata, Ontario, Canada
K2K 2M5

---

From: Pat Calhoun <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 6 Sep 2001 07:45:42 -0700

great question. I informed Dave, the current API editor, about this problem, and I
believe that we agreed that he would add a callback on the app side that would be
called to notify it of a disconnect (either locally generated, or known via the
ASR).

I believe that Dave is waiting for -08 before releasing the new API spec (but I 
can't speak for Dave, of course).

PatC