Subject: [AAA-WG]: [issue] missing realm protocol error

From: Mark Eklund <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 7 Sep 2001 11:19:28 -0400 (EDT)

Submitter name: Mark Eklund
Submitter email address: [email-masked]
Date first submitted: 2001-09-07
Reference: 
Document: Base-07
Comment type: T
Priority: 1
Section: 7.1.3
Rationale/Explanation of issue:

Section 6.1 states that

      - a request that needs to be sent to a specific home server among
        those serving a given realm, MUST contain both the Destination-
        Realm and Destination-Host AVPs.

If there is a Destination-Host, but no Destination-Realm, there
is no way to respond with a protocol error.  

MISSING_AVP is not a protocol error, so you must use the correct
ABNF for the answer.  This is not possible for a many proxy
situations if the proxy is not aware of a certain Application (a
simple relay agent for example).

DIAMETER_UNABLE_TO_DELIVER is used when the realm known,
but no hosts are available.

DIAMETER_REALM_NOT_SERVED is used when the realm is available,
but not served.

Requested change: 

Either add a new DIAMETER_MISSING_DESTINATION_REALM protocol
error, or reword DIAMETER_UNABLE_TO_DELIVER or
DIAMETER_REALM_NOT_SERVED to include the above situation.

-mark

---

From: "Jari Arkko" <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 7 Sep 2001 20:54:51 +0300

> DIAMETER_REALM_NOT_SERVED to include the above situation.

Perhaps we should avoid again the explosion of new error
codes, and pick the second option. Here's a an attempt at the
rewording:

      DIAMETER_UNABLE_TO_DELIVER         3003
         This error is given when Diameter can not deliver
         the message to the destination, either because
         no host within the realm was available to process
         the request, or because Destination-Host AVP was
         given without the associated Destination-Realm AVP.

---

From: Mark Eklund <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 7 Sep 2001 14:42:18 -0400 (EDT)

I have no problem with that resolution.
-mark