Subject: [AAA-WG]: [Issue] Decouple authorization and key generation

From: Thomas Panagiotis-PTHOMAS1 <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 25 Sep 2001 11:42:05 -0500

Submitter name: Panos Thomas
Submitter email address: [email-masked]
Date first submitted: 9/25/01
Reference: N/A
Document: draft-ietf-aaa-diameter-mobileip-07.txt
Comment type: T
Priority: 2
Section: 5.0
Rationale/Explanation of issue: 

 3rd paragraph in Section 5.0:

 "The Authorization-Lifetime AVP contains the number of seconds
  before registration keys destined for the Home Agent and/or
  Foreign Agent expire. A value of zero indicates infinity (no
  timeout)."

Tying the Authorization-Lifetime and the key lifetimes couples
authorization and key generation. It may be desirable to allow
AAAH to set key lifetimes to any value (e.g. to a multiple of
the Authorization-Lifetime), so that it doesn't have to generate
new keys every time it re-authorizes the user.

Requested change: 

Remove the 3rd paragraph in Section 5.0 and add a MIP-Lifetime
AVP to the MIP-XX-to-XX-Key AVPs in Sections 6.1 - 6.6. 

-Panos