Subject: RE: [AAA-WG]: Issue 128: duplicate packet detection failure case

From: [email-masked]
Date: Tue, 4 Sep 2001 15:23:30 +0300

Hi Fredrik,

> I don't like the idea of sending empty dummy packets, isn't 
> it enough to use the end-to-end identifier in the endpoints 
> to detect duplicate packets. If there are some duplicate packets 
> on the intermediate nodes, then so be it, it's just some extra 
> traffic, not that much processing.

Sorry for not responding sooner - I have been busy with a last
call of my own.

Sending the empty test packets (due to the non-responded messages)
to the recovered original peer node may not be the only way.

It was just one suggestion on how to improve the duplicate packet
removal efficiency in a node/link failure case. There can be
a checking efficiency improvement possibility also with
a minimal proposal.

A network or node failure will create lots of problems, of course.
We want to make sure that the mechanisms for overcoming and 
dealing with these failures is as robust as possible.  

A minimalist-change proposal would be just to include a
"possibly duplicated" packet flag to the message header.

I will try to make a more coherent proposal.

best regards,
John