Subject: [AAA-WG]: [issue] Result-code with 'P' bit erroneous

From: Miguel Ángel Monjas Llorente <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 07 Sep 2001 11:52:57 +0200

Submitter name: Miguel A. Monjas
Submitter email address: [email-masked] 
Date first submitted: 2001-09-07
Reference: 
Document: Base-07|CMS-02
Comment type: T
Priority: S
Section: 7.1.5|7.2, CMS-02 2.0
Rationale/Explanation of issue:

There's no defined error code for situations in which a node receives
an AVP with its 'P' bit set not being authorised to have its 'P' bit
set

Requested change: 

Add in the appropriate place (7.1.5 in Base-07 or 7.2 in CMS-02) a new
error code:

      DIAMETER_INVALID_AVP_P_BIT         50xx
         The request contained an AVP with an invalid value in its 'P'
         bit. A Diameter message indicating this error MUST include
         the offending AVPs within a Failed-AVP AVP.

Add at the end of the section 2.0 in CMS-02:

   Diameter implementations MUST check whether AVPs with its 'P' bit
   set are allowed to use it. If not, an appropriate error message
   MUST be issued containing DIAMETER_INVALID_AVP_P_BIT result code.

Regards

  // M.A.

-- 
  Miguel Angel Monjas Llorente
  Systems Engineer, GSM/UMTS Systems Management
  Ericsson España, S.A. (EEM) UMTS/GSM Databases
  Tel: +34 91 3393605                 Mob: +34 629 570196
  <mailto:[email-masked]>  Fax: +34 91 3392538
  Retama 1, 4th. 28045 Madrid - SPAIN -

---

From: "Jari Arkko" <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 7 Sep 2001 20:25:24 +0300

I agree with this issue as such. I would suggest however slightly
more general error code, and it to be put to the base. This
way we could handle any illegal bit-AVP combinations:

      DIAMETER_INVALID_AVP_BIT_COMBINATION         50xx
         The request contained an AVP with which is not allowed
         to have the given value in the AVP Flags field. A Diameter message
         indicating this error MUST include the offending AVPs
         within a Failed-AVP AVP.

and then:

   Diameter implementations MUST check whether AVPs with its 'P' bit
   set are allowed to use it. If not, an appropriate error message
   MUST be issued containing DIAMETER_INVALID_AVP_BIT_COMBINATION
   result code.

Jari

---

From: Miguel Ángel Monjas Llorente <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 10 Sep 2001 09:11:15 +0200

>    MUST be issued containing DIAMETER_INVALID_AVP_BIT_COMBINATION

I agree with Jari's resolution. If Pat's also agrees on it...

Regards

  // M.A.

---

From: Pat Calhoun <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 10 Sep 2001 08:46:31 -0700

Sounds good to me.

PatC