Subject: [Ace] draft-seitz-core-sec-usecases-00

From: "Hannes Tschofenig" <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 12 Dec 2013 16:48:05 +0100 (CET)

Dear Goeran, Stefanie, Ludwig,

I read your document with great interest and I like the description. One basic question did, however, come to my mind.

Collecting requirements is always a difficult job since it requires you to understand the problem domain and that specific industry sector well enough to know how the stakeholders are planning to deploy their technology.

How did you collect these requirements?

Ciao

Hannes

---

From: Ludwig Seitz <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 13 Dec 2013 16:54:39 +0100

On 12/12/2013 04:48 PM, Hannes Tschofenig wrote:
> I read your document with great interest and I like the description. One
> basic question did, however, come to my mind.
> Collecting requirements is always a difficult job since it requires you
> to understand the problem domain and that specific industry sector well
> enough to know how the stakeholders are planning to deploy their technology.

What we did was to collect somewhat realistic use cases with relevant 
security issues. Then we made educated guesses as to what security 
requirements could result from those issues. The main goal (as I 
understood it) was to get some feedback on whether these could be 
considered reasonable and important, so actually we are in the process 
of collection requirements. Those in the draft are mostly meant as a 
base for discussion.

As for concrete input, I've used some requirements from a company for 
the Industrial Control Systems use case, and I made some web research on 
Personal Health Monitoring and Home Automation products. Most of these 
are still at prototype or early-adopter stage, so information on planned 
deployments tend to be pretty vague. The container monitoring scenario 
is derived from an existing logistics project with the help of members 
from the project consortium.

Regards,

Ludwig

-- 
Ludwig Seitz, PhD
SICS Swedish ICT AB
Ideon Science Park
Building Beta 2
Scheelevägen 17
SE-223 70 Lund

Phone +46(0)70-349 92 51
http://www.sics.se

---

From: Hannes Tschofenig <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 16 Dec 2013 21:35:42 +0000

Hi Ludwig,

thanks for the honest response. Of course it would be good to have more
real-world deployment data but if we don't have that information then
that's the best we can do.

The use case draft was in any case well written and it was fun to read it.
Normally, use case documents are boring but this one wasn't.

Ciao
Hannes

On 12/13/2013 03:54 PM, Ludwig Seitz wrote:
> the Industrial Control Systems use case, and I made some web research
> on Personal Health Monitoring and Home Automation products. Most of
> these are still at prototype or early-adopter stage, so information on
> planned deployments tend to be pretty vague. The container monitoring
> scenario is derived from an existing logistics project with the help
> of members from the project consortium.
>
> Regards,
>
> Ludwig
>
>
>
>
> _______________________________________________
> Ace mailing list
> [email-masked]
> https://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/ace