Subject: Re: [Ace] ACE pre-WG meeting

From: Göran Selander <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 2 May 2014 08:40:40 +0000

Update on the meeting, I got some more offline feedback:

- Some people want to extend the scope beyond problem statement and look
into how the objectives can be achieved.

- Some people thought that a single day meeting is too short to cover the
extended scope and to motivate the travelling overhead in particular for
long-distance travel.

I am fine with such changes in scope and duration of the meeting. Any
other views on this?

Unless someone objects, let us aim for a two-day meeting. I have updated
the doodle information accordingly. A draft agenda proposal will be sent
out later. 

As time is running, if you are interested but have not shown so in other
way, please fill in the doodle as soon as possible so we can fix the dates
and get started with travel and meeting arrangements:

http://doodle.com/nw94ruh77fg3qvfg

Thanks
Göran

On 25/04/14 09:03, "Göran Selander" <[email-masked]> wrote:

>
>I got some questions offline about this f2f interim meeting and how it is
>supposed to work. 
>
>Here is what I had in mind:
>
>1. We try to fix a date for a 1-day meeting in about 5-6 weeks.
>
>2. Before this meeting, people are invited to submit proposals of a more
>detailed problem statement of ACE. With ³more detailed problem statement²
>I mean for example properties of security protocols between nodes that a
>solution should exhibit or support, e.g. whether symmetric and/or
>asymmetric keys should be supported, whether negotiation of crypto suite
>should be supported, support for intermittent connectivity, round trips,
>processing or caching requirements etc.
>
>The input could be in the form of mails to the ACE list, internet drafts,
>or something in-between e.g. using some repository for documents. (There
>will be at least one detailed input.)
>
>3. We meet and discuss the different proposals and try to agree on a more
>detailed problem statement, and then report back to the ACE list.
>
>The reason for proposing a 1-day meeting is based on the assumption that
>people have read the inputs and we can go directly to the things people
>disagree on and hear the motivations (not necessarily coming to an
>agreement). But I don¹t have a strong opinion about that.
>
>Phone conference facilities could always be considered, but the intent
>with such a f2f meeting is to give a chance to brainstorm, draw and
>discuss pictures on a white board, etc.
>
>What do you think about this?
>
>
>Göran
>
>
>
>
>On 24/04/14 10:24, "Göran Selander" <[email-masked]> wrote:
>
>>
>>Hi all,
>>
>>As was noted in the tutorial session this week, and previously in the
>>charter discussions, neither the ACE charter nor the use case &
>>requirements document provides sufficiently detailed problem statement to
>>be able to evaluate candidate security protocols.
>>
>>The option to meet face to face and discuss the scope of ACE has been
>>aired on several occasions. In an recent offline discussion I got a
>>positive feedback about trying to arrange a meeting before Toronto. The
>>purpose of the meeting would be to discuss - and hopefully produce - a
>>more detailed problem statement proposal as input to the ACE work.
>>
>>A good time could be end-of-May / beginning-of-June to allow for travel
>>arrangements and still leave enough time for editing drafts based on the
>>output.  
>>
>>One possible location for this meeting is at the Ericsson premises in
>>Kista out of Stockholm, Sweden. Kista is a short ride from airports
>>Arlanda and Bromma.
>>
>>For those interested in attending, please fill in this Doodle ASAP:
>>
>>http://doodle.com/nw94ruh77fg3qvfg
>>
>>
>>Please note that this would not be an official interim meeting, as ACE is
>>not a WG yet.
>>
>>
>>
>>Göran
>>
>>
>>
>

---

From: Margaret Wasserman <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 3 May 2014 05:32:26 -0400

I am not sure that I will be able to travel to Sweden for this meeting.  Will there be any arrangements for remote participation.

Thanks,
Margaret

On May 2, 2014, at 4:40 AM, Göran Selander <[email-masked]> wrote:

> _______________________________________________
> Ace mailing list
> [email-masked]
> https://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/ace

---

From: Göran Selander <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 5 May 2014 12:12:07 +0000

Hi Margaret,

Thanks for showing interest. Remote participation could be a challenge
since one purpose of the exercise is allow for less structured
discussions, white-boarding etc. which may be difficult to follow over
phone. It is quite a different thing having the ambition to make the
meeting enjoyable also for remote participation compared to turning on a
best effort conference phone.  I am not sure I can guarantee the former,
and also would potentially give less to the people who have managed to
travel. Maybe there are other views on this? Let us come back to this when
we have a more structured agenda.

Thanks
Göran

On 03/05/14 11:32, "Margaret Wasserman" <[email-masked]> wrote:

>
>I am not sure that I will be able to travel to Sweden for this meeting.
>Will there be any arrangements for remote participation.
>
>Thanks,
>Margaret
>

---

From: Rene Struik <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 05 May 2014 09:04:02 -0400

Dear colleagues:

If believed to be useful, I could organize meeting space for up to 
roughly 25 people, including white boards/flip charts, just prior to the 
IETF-90 meeting in Toronto (e.g., on Thursday and Friday). This should 
come at very limited cost (since I could leverage that this is in my 
home town). Obviously, this would only help people who have budget to 
come to IETF-90.

Best regards, Rene

-- 
email: [email-masked] | Skype: rstruik
cell: +1 (647) 867-5658 | US: +1 (415) 690-7363

---

From: Behcet Sarikaya <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 5 May 2014 10:44:35 -0500

Rene, there is IEEE Plenary the week before IETF 90.

Behcet

On Mon, May 5, 2014 at 8:04 AM, Rene Struik <[email-masked]> wrote:

> Dear colleagues:
>
> If believed to be useful, I could organize meeting space for up to roughly
> 25 people, including white boards/flip charts, just prior to the IETF-90
> meeting in Toronto (e.g., on Thursday and Friday). This should come at very
> limited cost (since I could leverage that this is in my home town).
> Obviously, this would only help people who have budget to come to IETF-90.
>
> Best regards, Rene
>
>

---

From: Behcet Sarikaya <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 5 May 2014 10:45:46 -0500

I think this meeting should be held during IETF 90 in Toronto.

Behcet

---

From: Göran Selander <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 5 May 2014 19:41:29 +0000

Hi Behcet,

This is not a formal ACE WG meeting as ACE is not a WG yet. The purpose of the meeting is to speed up the process by having an informal f2f discussion and the result will be provided as input for the IETF meeting in Toronto (or other pre-meetings).

Göran

From: Behcet Sarikaya <[email-masked]<mailto:[email-masked]>>
Reply-To: "[email-masked]<mailto:[email-masked]>" <[email-masked]<mailto:[email-masked]>>
Date: Monday 5 May 2014 17:45
To: Göran Selander <[email-masked]<mailto:[email-masked]>>
Cc: Margaret Wasserman <[email-masked]<mailto:[email-masked]>>, "[email-masked]<mailto:[email-masked]>" <[email-masked]<mailto:[email-masked]>>
Subject: Re: [Ace] ACE pre-WG meeting

Behcet

On Mon, May 5, 2014 at 7:12 AM, Göran Selander <[email-masked]<mailto:[email-masked]>> wrote:
Hi Margaret,

Thanks
Göran

On 03/05/14 11:32, "Margaret Wasserman" <[email-masked]<mailto:[email-masked]>> wrote:

>On May 2, 2014, at 4:40 AM, Göran Selander <[email-masked]<mailto:[email-masked]>>
>wrote:
>
>>
>> On 25/04/14 09:03, "Göran Selander" <[email-masked]<mailto:[email-masked]>> wrote:
>>
>>>
>>> On 24/04/14 10:24, "Göran Selander" <[email-masked]<mailto:[email-masked]>>
>>>wrote:
>>>
>>>>
>>>> Hi all,
>>>>
>> [email-masked]<mailto:[email-masked]>

_______________________________________________
Ace mailing list
[email-masked]<mailto:[email-masked]>
https://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/ace