Subject: [Ace] Protocol Action: 'EST over secure CoAP (EST-coaps)' to Proposed Standard (draft-ietf-ace-coap-est-18.txt)

From: The IESG <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 16 Jan 2020 06:54:36 -0800

The IESG has approved the following document:
- 'EST over secure CoAP (EST-coaps)'
  (draft-ietf-ace-coap-est-18.txt) as Proposed Standard

This document is the product of the Authentication and Authorization for
Constrained Environments Working Group.

The IESG contact persons are Benjamin Kaduk and Roman Danyliw.

A URL of this Internet Draft is:
https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-ietf-ace-coap-est/

Technical Summary

  Enrollment over Secure Transport [RFC 7030] provides a REST style
  interface for doing X.509 certificate enrollment as well as other
  operations to support the enrollments.  This document provides a
  set of procedures to run this REST API using DTLS and CoAP rather
  than TLS and HTTP.

Working Group Summary

  Following adoption of the document progress in the WG was
  smooth.  The major issues in terms of formating and structure
  were worked out prior to WG adoption.

Document Quality

  The document has been reviewed and is directly build on
  RFC 7030.  Prior to the document going into last call three
  different groups of implementers got together and had a
  series of virtual inter-op events.  These lead to several changes
  and clarifications in the document as problems were identified.
  The document mirrors EST in using the tls-unique value for channel
  binding, even though it is now preferred to use TLS exporters instead
  of tls-unique.  The intent is that CoAP-EST will gain support for TLS
  exporters when it is defined for traditional EST, and that the ACE WG
  is not the correct place to do that work.

Personnel

The Document Shepherd is Jim Schaad.
The responsible Area Director is Benjamin Kaduk