Subject: [Acme] Adding an Extension to http-01 Answers

From: Bryan Livingston <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 10 Nov 2015 17:58:30 -0700

I'm implementing an ACME client for windows and have run into some trouble
with IIS handling extensionless static files.

I've described the problem on these two links.

https://github.com/ebekker/letsencrypt-win/issues/15
https://community.letsencrypt.org/t/how-letsencrypt-work-for-windows-iis/2106/12?u=lonecoder

Would it be possible to have the answers be changed to have a .txt
extension added to them? I'm just worried about creating hassle and
configuration problems (messing with Handler Mappings can easily take a web
app down) and maybe even a security hole (might leak source code files by
giving StaticFile handler a higher priority).

Maybe the ACME server could check for a .txt file if the extensionless
answer was a 404?

Thanks.

Bryan

---

From: Martin Thomson <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 10 Nov 2015 17:09:45 -0800

At the meeting, we concluded that you would not have to include a
specific MIME media type in responses.  Serializing the octets of the
base64-encoded string would be enough.  Does that make your problem
easier?

On 10 November 2015 at 16:58, Bryan Livingston
<[email-masked]> wrote:
> Would it be possible to have the answers be changed to have a .txt extension
> added to them? I'm just worried about creating hassle and configuration
> problems (messing with Handler Mappings can easily take a web app down) and
> maybe even a security hole (might leak source code files by giving
> StaticFile handler a higher priority).
>
> _______________________________________________
> Acme mailing list
> [email-masked]
> https://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/acme
>

---

From: Bryan Livingston <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 10 Nov 2015 18:17:37 -0700

That flexibility is nice but doesn't fully solve the problem.

It's not just the mime type that is causing a problem on windows & IIS.
When ASP.net is installed there's a problem with it's handler eating all
the extensionless requests. To fix it the user has to go into the IIS
manager and change the order of the handlers which can possibly cause a
site to break.

On Tue, Nov 10, 2015 at 6:09 PM, Martin Thomson <[email-masked]>
wrote:

> extension