Subject: [Acme] Revert "Allow the client to give a preference for a specific IP in http-01"

From: Jacob Hoffman-Andrews <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 9 Jun 2016 10:12:36 -0700

https://github.com/ietf-wg-acme/acme/pull/138

This reverts commit a5cb357

I think we did not reach consensus on the list about this feature.

---

From: Niklas Keller <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 9 Jun 2016 19:52:17 +0200

> I think we did not reach consensus on the list about this feature.

What's the issue with it? I think it's fine. It saves setting up redirects
to another domain that's only served by one IP.

If the server chooses by random, it will succeed any 1/X times if someone
has control of just one server behind.

Regards, Niklas

---

From: Richard Barnes <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 13 Jun 2016 13:27:18 +0200

I agree with Niklas that this extension seems harmless.  It seems like we
could make it safe to ignore just by tweaking the verification rules so
that the server is only required to check the containment if it's going to
use the "address" field as a guide.

Jacob: Could you clarify whether you think there's a substantive issue
here, or just a process issue?

On Thu, Jun 9, 2016 at 7:52 PM, Niklas Keller <[email-masked]> wrote:

> _______________________________________________
> Acme mailing list
> [email-masked]
> https://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/acme
>
>

---

From: Jacob Hoffman-Andrews <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 13 Jun 2016 08:53:20 -0700

> here, or just a process issue?
Substantive. I restarted the conversation on the earlier thread about this.