Subject: [Acme] [Errata Rejected] RFC8555 (5771)

From: RFC Errata System <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 17 Jul 2019 10:27:07 -0700 (PDT)

The following errata report has been rejected for RFC8555,
"Automatic Certificate Management Environment (ACME)".

--------------------------------------
You may review the report below and at:
https://www.rfc-editor.org/errata/eid5771

--------------------------------------
Status: Rejected
Type: Technical

Reported by: Rob Stradling <[email-masked]>
Date Reported: 2019-07-02
Rejected by: Benjamin Kaduk (IESG)

Section: 7.1.1

Original Text
-------------
Clients access the directory by sending a GET request to the
directory URL.

Corrected Text
--------------
Clients access the directory by sending a GET request to the directory
URL.  Before making a request to any URL from the directory, the client
MUST evaluate whether the directory object is still fresh according to
the Cache-Control header(s) received when that directory object was
accessed.  If no Cache-Control header(s) were received, the client MUST
act as if "Cache-Control: no-cache" was received.  If the directory
object is no longer fresh, the client MUST access the directory again
(by sending another GET request to the directory URL) and then use the
updated directory object.

Notes
-----
The original text is underspecified, because it doesn't say how long a directory remains valid.  A server should be able to update its directory (e.g., to add support for newAuthz, to update the termsOfService URL, etc) without having to worry about clients holding on to stale directory objects.
Whilst in practice many clients tend to re-fetch the server's directory object frequently, I think that it's unwise to leave this to chance.
 --VERIFIER NOTES-- 
   WG consensus per the thread including https://mailarchive.ietf.org/arch/msg/acme/I2oeALKJTyCwlMOp1v9BTadahyE is to reject the proposed erratum.

--------------------------------------
RFC8555 (draft-ietf-acme-acme-18)
--------------------------------------
Title               : Automatic Certificate Management Environment (ACME)
Publication Date    : March 2019
Author(s)           : R. Barnes, J. Hoffman-Andrews, D. McCarney, J. Kasten
Category            : PROPOSED STANDARD
Source              : Automated Certificate Management Environment
Area                : Security
Stream              : IETF
Verifying Party     : IESG