Subject: [Adslmib] Non-Standard Band Plans [Comments on Ver 05 draft VDSL-LINE-MIB]

From: "Umberto Bonollo" <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 31 Oct 2002 18:07:36 +1100

To Bob Ray and Rajesh Abbi:

Hi,

Your comments on the following would be appreciated:

1. To enter a non-standard band plan the manager:

1.1  first has to set vdslLineConfBandPlan = other(4).

1.2 Thereafter, the tables called vdslLineMCMConfProfileTxBandTable
and vdslLineMCMConfProfileRxBandTable *** must *** contain at least
one row entry each.

2. This entails a few things:

2.1 The PDU that sets vdslLineConfBandPlan = other(4) must at the
same time (within the same PDU) create at least one row entry in each of
vdslLineMCMConfProfileTxBandTable and vdslLineMCMConfProfileRxBandTable,
else the agent will reject the SET request.

2.2 Given 2.1 has occurred, at no stage will the agent
allow vdslLineMCMConfProfileTxBandTable or vdslLineMCMConfProfileRxBandTable
to become empty as this means nothing
with respect to the configuration.

2.3 Hence, now when the manager sets  vdslLineConfBandPlan to something else
apart from other(4) then at the same time (in the same PDU) the row entries
in vdslLineMCMConfProfileTxBandTable and vdslLineMCMConfProfileRxBandTable
will all be deleted.

3. So the above discussion assumes:

3.1 vdslLineMCMConfProfileTxBandTable and vdslLineMCMConfProfileRxBandTable
can each never be empty when vdslLineConfBandPlan = other(4) .

4. Comments on alternate meanings for non-standard band plans are welcomed
(e.g.):

4.1 Does vdslLineConfBandPlan = other(4) with
vdslLineMCMConfProfileTxBandTable is empty and
vdslLineMCMConfProfileRxBandTable is empty have any meaning for the
equipment?
Ans: No[?]

4.2 Does vdslLineConfBandPlan = other(4) with
vdslLineMCMConfProfileTxBandTable is empty and
vdslLineMCMConfProfileRxBandTable is nonempty have any meaning for the
equipment?
Ans: No[?]

4.3 Does vdslLineConfBandPlan = other(4) with
vdslLineMCMConfProfileTxBandTable is nonempty and
vdslLineMCMConfProfileRxBandTable is empty have any meaning for the
equipment?
Ans: No[?]

Regards,
Umberto Bonollo ([email-masked])
NEC Australia

_______________________________________________
Adslmib mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/adslmib

---

From: "Bob Ray" <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 31 Oct 2002 16:33:53 -0600

You've confused me, Umberto!!!!
But, I'll try to wallow through.

>else the agent will reject the SET request.

Let's say one creates a new profile and then sets vdslLineConfBandPlan to 
something (1..4).  The agent, upon seeing this action, will generate the 
default band table entries for that type based upon its knowledge of the 
band plan (vendor-specific 'other' plans included) which one may then 
modify via further set operations.

I would expect an agent to prepopulate the profile tables with appropriate
default entries (for the supported standard and vendor-specific band plans)
at initialization.  For example, if the agent is embedded in a rack 
containing bandPlanFx(3) modems, the profile tables (band tables, etc.) 
would exist by default.  

Does that make sense or am I off on Mars again?

Bob Ray