Subject: Re: time to turn on SPAM filtering on this list

From: Randy Presuhn <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 6 Nov 1998 13:45:11 -0800 (PST)

Hi - 

> From [email-masked] Fri Nov  6 10:56:39 PST 1998
> To: [email-masked]
> Subject: time to turn on SPAM filtering on this list
> Date: Fri, 06 Nov 1998 10:55:26 -0800
> From: Jerry Scharf <[email-masked]>
> 
> Clearly this list has made it onto some resale SPAM lists. Who is on the hook 
> to do this and when can we expect relief?
> 
> jerry

The list is currently manually maintained.  We have list server software
available, but have been reluctant to deploy it, given the very bad
experiences many of us have had with anti-spam blocking on other lists.
(For example, I'm now unable to post to the applmib list even though
I'm one of the document editors!)

If Cisco would be willing to take over the list and provide spam filtering
superior to what we've seen on the entmib, rmonmib, and other lists they
handle, without blocking postings from working group members, let's talk.

 -----------------------------------------------------------------------
 Randy Presuhn           Email: [email-masked] http://www.bmc.com     
 Voice: +1 408 616-3100  BMC Software, Inc.           965 Stewart Drive
 Fax:   +1 408 616-3101  Sunnyvale, California 94086  USA
 -----------------------------------------------------------------------
 In accordance with the BMC Communications Systems Use and Security
 Policy, I explicitly state that although my affiliation with BMC may be
 apparent, implied, or provided, my opinions are not necessarily those
 of BMC Software and that all external representations on behalf of
 BMC must first be cleared with a member of "the top management team."
 -----------------------------------------------------------------------

---

From: Andy Bierman <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 06 Nov 1998 14:27:04 -0800

> handle, without blocking postings from working group members, let's talk.

I am the owner of the [email-masked] and [email-masked]
mailing lists.  That just means all the owner-foobar mail comes
to me.  I'm not allowed to touch the majordomo server that runs
these lists.  The organization that runs this server has no charter
to support 'external' (e.g., IETF WG) mailing lists.  I have someone
in that group who is spending some background time on SPAM filtering,
but he has many things in the queue ahead of it. I've lined up a new
home for the rmonmib WG list, which I hope to get done before the new 
year. 

I don't think we (cisco) are in any position to complain about SPAM on
WG mailing lists, or in any way capable of taking on more
external mailing lists.  

The IETF position on SPAM is that it's not their problem. It's
up to the organization that runs each list server to control
SPAM on that list. I think events in recent months have caused
a re-evaluation of this position. 

It has been pointed out (by Karl Auerbach) that SPAMers are
stealing CPU and bandwidth resources from the organizations running 
list servers.  The rmonmib list is so big that this amounts to several
minutes of server time for every message sent to the list. But
it's still way too little actual dollars to ask the legal dept.
to go after SPAMmers.

Meanwhile, those of us involved in IETF WGs get bombarded by SPAM
sent to the WG mailing lists.  

Andy