Subject: RE: revised agentx mib

From: [email-masked]
Date: Mon, 2 Nov 1998 13:24:59 -0600

Hi Smitha,

Seems that agentxRegRangeSubId should not be an OBJECT IDENTIFIER,
but rather an integer whose possible values are between 0..128.
agentxRegRangeSubid denotes the n'th subid in the agentxRegStart
OID, and is not itself an OID.

Similarly, agentxRegUpperBound is not an OID, but should rather be an
actual subid value of type Unsigned32.

Lauren

Smitha wrote 
-------------------------------------------------------------------

agentxRegRangeSubId OBJECT-TYPE                                         
 |
   SYNTAX      OBJECT IDENTIFIER                                        
 |
   MAX-ACCESS  read-only                                                
 |
   STATUS      current                                                  
 |
   DESCRIPTION                                                          
 |
     "agentxRegRangeSubId can be used to specify the range. This is     
 |
      r.region_subid in registration PDU. If the value of this          
 |
      object is 0, no range is specified. If it is not zero             
 |
      it identifies the sub-identifier in r.region. r.region can        
 |
      be a fully-qualified instance name, a partial instance name, a    
 |
         MIB table, an entire MIB, or ranges of any of these. "         
 |
   ::= { agentxRegistrationEntry 4 }                                    
 |

agentxRegUpperBound OBJECT-TYPE                                         
 |
   SYNTAX      OBJECT IDENTIFIER                                        
 |
   MAX-ACCESS  read-only                                                
 |
   STATUS      current                                                  
 |
   DESCRIPTION                                                          
 |
     "agentxRegUpperBound represents upper-bound sub-identifier in      
 |
      a registration. This is r.upper_bound in registration PDU.        
 |
      This is an optional field in registration field in registration.  
 |
      If agentxRegRangeSub (r.region_subid) is zero, there is no        
 |
      agentxRegUpper bound (r.upper_bound)."                            
 |
   ::= { agentxRegistrationEntry 5 }                                    
 |

------------------------------------------------------------------------
-
Lauren Heintz                 BMC Software, Inc. (Formerly PEER 
Networks) 
Voice: +1 408 616-3169        Silicon Valley Division 
Fax:   +1 408 616-3339        965 Stewart Drive 
Email: [email-masked]  Sunnyvale, California 94086 USA 
------------------------------------------------------------------------
-

---

From: [email-masked]
Date: Mon, 2 Nov 1998 13:58:03 -0600

Smitha,

I believe agentxDefaultTimeout cannot have a DEFVAL clause??

Lauren

> -----Original Message-----
> From: sgudur [mailto:[email-masked]]
>
> agentxDefaultTimeout OBJECT-TYPE
>    SYNTAX      INTEGER (0..255)
>    UNITS       "seconds"
>    MAX-ACCESS  read-write
>    STATUS      current
>    DESCRIPTION
>       "The default length of time, in seconds, that the master agent
>       should allow to elapse after dispatching a message to a subagent
>       before it regards the subagent as not responding. This is a
>       system-wide value that may be overridden by the values
>       associated with a particular subagent 
> (agentxSessionTimeout) or a
>       particular registered MIB region (agentxRegTimeout)."
>    DEFVAL      { 5 }
>    ::= { agentxGeneral 1 }

---

From: "Smitha Gudur" <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 02 Nov 1998 17:44:20 PST

Hi,

No. not yet.  

regards
smitha

>Received: from [198.207.223.252] by hotmail.com (1.0) with SMTP id 
MHotMail308725303216835065324963335512060124311; Fri Oct 30 18:17:35 
1998
>Received: from dorothy.bmc.com (dorothy.peer.com [192.146.153.65])
>	by tangelo.bmc.com (8.8.6 (PHNE_14041)/8.8.6) with ESMTP id UAA07904;
>	Fri, 30 Oct 1998 20:11:33 -0600 (CST)
>Received: (from rpresuhn@localhost)
>	by dorothy.bmc.com (8.8.6 (PHNE_12836)/8.8.6) id SAA13231
>	for [email-masked]; Fri, 30 Oct 1998 18:05:10 -0800 (PST)
>Date: Fri, 30 Oct 1998 18:05:10 -0800 (PST)
>From: Randy Presuhn <[email-masked]>
>Message-Id: <[email-masked]>
>To: [email-masked]
>Subject: Re:  revised agentx mib
>Mime-Version: 1.0
>Content-Type: text/plain; charset=us-ascii
>Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7bit
>
>Hi - 
>
>> From: "Smitha Gudur" <[email-masked]>
>> To: [email-masked]
>> Cc: [email-masked]
>> Subject: revised agentx mib 
>> Date: Thu, 29 Oct 1998 17:46:56 PST
>...
>>                    Definitions of Managed Objects for
>>                          Extensible SNMP Agents
>>                      <draft-ietf-agentx-mib-03.txt>                      
|
>...
>
>May we assume that this has also gone to [email-masked]?
>
> 
-----------------------------------------------------------------------
> Randy Presuhn           Email: [email-masked] 
http://www.bmc.com     
> Voice: +1 408 616-3100  BMC Software, Inc.           965 Stewart Drive
> Fax:   +1 408 616-3101  Sunnyvale, California 94086  USA
> 
-----------------------------------------------------------------------
> In accordance with the BMC Communications Systems Use and Security
> Policy, I explicitly state that although my affiliation with BMC may 
be
> apparent, implied, or provided, my opinions are not necessarily those
> of BMC Software and that all external representations on behalf of
> BMC must first be cleared with a member of "the top management team."
> 
-----------------------------------------------------------------------

______________________________________________________
Get Your Private, Free Email at http://www.hotmail.com

---

From: Bob Natale <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 02 Nov 1998 21:13:05 -0500

>At 10/30/98 06:05 PM, Randy Presuhn wrote:

Hi Randy,

>>                      <draft-ietf-agentx-mib-03.txt>                      |
>...
>

No, our plan--given the break in attention that has occurred in 
recent weeks--was to post it to the list for review and discussion
in an attempt to ensure that the next submission to the I-D repository
may be the version that goes on to WG last call, Area review, IESG
review and so forth.

Much of the "blame" for the break belongs on my shoulders...the
idea was to pace the post-Chicao-IETF work on posting of the AgentX
meeting minutes.  I have been in touch with Dale on several occasions
via both e-mail and telephone and, as of last Friday I thought we
were very close to passing this milestone.

If only the DISMAN WG chair had not mis-appropriated the AgentX WG
editor for the DISMAN minutes (which were posted in a timely manner),
we'd be done with AgentX by now! :-):-):-)

Anyway, I've noted that both DISMAN and SNMPv3 discussions have
progressed during the AgentX lull, and that's a good thing.

Cordially,

BobN
---- ISO 9001 Registered, H/W & S/W Products| NASDAQ: ACEC -----
Bob Natale          | ACE*COMM              | 301-721-3000 [v]
Dir, Net Mgmt Prod  | 704 Quince Orchard Rd | 301-721-3001 [f]
[email-masked] | Gaithersburg MD 20878 | www.acecomm.com
----- WinSNMP DLL, SDK, Apps & Agents for Win16/32 & UNIX ------
------ WinSNMP specs and sample code at www.winsnmp.com --------

---

From: Randy Presuhn <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 3 Nov 1998 14:37:38 -0800 (PST)

Hi  -

> From: [email-masked]
> Date: Mon, 2 Nov 1998 13:24:59 -0600
> Subject: RE: revised agentx mib
> TO: [email-masked], [email-masked]
...
...

I think this may be connected to earlier discussions about how to
deal with the representation of ranges and wildcarding, and whether
the sorts of regions that can be represented by the MIB should
be limited to what it is possible to express in version 1 of the
AgentX protocol. 

 -----------------------------------------------------------------------
 Randy Presuhn           Email: [email-masked] http://www.bmc.com     
 Voice: +1 408 616-3100  BMC Software, Inc.           965 Stewart Drive
 Fax:   +1 408 616-3101  Sunnyvale, California 94086  USA
 -----------------------------------------------------------------------
 In accordance with the BMC Communications Systems Use and Security
 Policy, I explicitly state that although my affiliation with BMC may be
 apparent, implied, or provided, my opinions are not necessarily those
 of BMC Software and that all external representations on behalf of
 BMC must first be cleared with a member of "the top management team."
 -----------------------------------------------------------------------

---

From: Randy Presuhn <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 3 Nov 1998 14:33:08 -0800 (PST)

Hi - 

> From [email-masked] Thu Oct 29 17:56:57 PST 1998
...

A few nits:

The posted text has incorrect affiliation/address information for Smitha.
(first page, page 4, page 16)

The posted text lacks affiliation/address information for Lauren.
(page 4, page 16)

The I-D boilerplate needs to be updated (third paragraph, page 1)

The current MIB boilerplate should be used (see http://www.ops.ietf.org/)

...
> agentxMIB MODULE-IDENTITY
>    LAST-UPDATED "9804141200Z" -- Sept 15, 1998                           |

Which is it?

...
> [8]  F. Yergeau, "UTF-8, a transformation format of Unicode and ISO
>      10646,", RFC 2044, October 1996.

This has been superceded by RFC 2279.

...
> 7.  Security Considerations

This should be updated in accordance with the current MIB security
considerations boilerplate.

...
> 9.  Full Copyright Statement
> 
> Copyright (C) The Internet Society (1997).  All Rights Reserved.

Wrong year?

> This document and translations of it may be copied and furnished to
> others, and derivative works that comment on or otherwise explain it or
> assist in its implmentation may be prepared, copied, published and

                implementation