Subject: [alto] Interim recap and next steps

From: Enrico Marocco <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 8 Feb 2011 11:03:48 +0100

Hi folks,

sorry for being late in sending this -- day job got the upper hand.

Here is a brief recap of the next steps for the working group, as agreed
during the last virtual interim meeting. Raw notes from Vijay are attached.

Documents
---------

Requirements: authors have moved the descriptive parts about use cases
and rating criteria to the deployment considerations document. The draft
now contains a short easy-to-read list of requirements and is considered
basically ready for moving forward. Chairs will issue a WGLC very soon
taking care that the document gets accurate reviews, in particular by
authors of other WG documents.

Deployment considerations: the current individual draft is the only
candidate for the charter milestone and people have expressed support
for adopting it both in Beijing and during the interim. Chairs will
issue a last call for adoption on the list.

CDN use case: an individual draft has received significant attention
during the last year and the WG has expressed interest in working on
such a document. Chairs will negotiate with the responsible AD an
additional milestone for the charter.

Interoperability
----------------

There seem to be broad interest in arranging a plugfest in the IETF 81
timeframe. Several implementations are likely to be ready by then. It
seems reasonable to limit the scope of the event to the testing of basic
protocol interoperability -- i.e. client/server interactions and server
discovery. Many other ideas have however been brought up during the
interim, that will be worth discussing on the main ALTO list and keeping
track on a wiki page. Documenting the rather singular experience may
eventually also have value for the whole IETF community. Volunteers for
helping with the organization and documentation of the event are most
welcome: if you think you can dedicate some time to it, please get in
touch with the chairs.

There is also an opportunity for arranging a less structured demo event
in Prague -- most likely a lunch meeting -- to let people show their
ALTO-like/ALTO-related implementations. People that have running code
they consider relevant to the activities of the ALTO WG and want to take
the opportunity of showing it to the broad community, please also get in
touch with the chairs ASAP.

Thank you all for your participation on for the various contributions!

Enrico, Vijay and Jon