Subject: [alto] PID Properties in ALTO

From: Richard Alimi <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 27 May 2011 09:48:17 -0700

Hi All,

Okay, third and final thread for discussion today :)  Another proposed
extension to the ALTO protocol has been to associate properties (like
we currently have with Endpoints) with PIDs.

A proposed use case in draft-penno-alto-cdn was to indicate what types
of endpoints lived within a single PID. A more general mechanism to
support this would be to allow properties to be associated with a PID
as whole. In one light, this could be seen as an efficient way to
query for the properties of all endpoints within a PID (in which
membership in the PID determines the value of the property). It could
also be used to attach some semantic meaning to a PID (instead of
being an opaque identifier) in particular deployments.

One way to support this would be to provide an additional "PID
Property" service, with a similar structure to the Endpoint Property
Service. Basically, it would amount to defining a registry, allowing
an ALTO Server to indicate its supported properties via capabilities,
defining encodings for the request and response, etc.

Thoughts about supporting this?

Thanks,
Rich

---

From: Robert Varga <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 27 May 2011 20:11:58 +0200

Hi,

I agree we should support it. I am just not sure we need it the base
protocol, though, as it can easily be specified as an extension.

Bye,
Robert

On 05/27/11 18:48, Richard Alimi wrote:
> _______________________________________________
> alto mailing list
> [email-masked]
> https://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/alto

-- 
Robert Varga
Pantheon Technologies, s.r.o.
Mlynske Nivy 56
831 05 Bratislava