Subject: [alto] Way forward for the Resdistribution

From: Martin Stiemerling <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 2 Jul 2012 16:58:52 +0200

Hi all,

I have just read the ALTO protocol slides of the meeting in Paris and do 
wonder what has ultimately happened to the redistribution, as the slide 
state:

"Will be submitted as separate draft that may make use of JOSE"
(http://www.ietf.org/proceedings/83/slides/slides-83-alto-2.pdf)

This functionality is gone from the base protocol, but we do not have 
any replacement insight. Do we completely abandon this?

Thanks,

   Martin
-- 
[email-masked]

NEC Laboratories Europe - Network Research Division NEC Europe Limited
Registered Office: NEC House, 1 Victoria Road, London W3 6BL
Registered in England 283

---

From: Richard Alimi <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 2 Jul 2012 10:37:55 -0700

The material has been migrated to another document locally, but it
isn't yet ready for submission.    I don't think it should be
completely abandoned, but in my opinion the priority is lower than
getting the base protocol.  As was mentioned in the discussion w.r.t.
requirements, there are some things that it provides such as
guidelines on which clients should make use of the information and for
how long (above and beyond what we get for free from HTTP caching).

With your AD hat on, do we need the additional document to be
explicitly mentioned in the charter?

Rich

On Mon, Jul 2, 2012 at 7:58 AM, Martin Stiemerling
<[email-masked]> wrote:
> This functionality is gone from the base protocol, but we do not have any
> replacement insight. Do we completely abandon this?
>
> Thanks,
>
>   Martin
> --
> _______________________________________________
> alto mailing list
> [email-masked]
> https://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/alto

---

From: Martin Stiemerling <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 3 Jul 2012 15:19:55 +0200

> explicitly mentioned in the charter?

It would be good to see this draft submitted. Getting a new milestone 
for this is not a big deal if the WG is in agreement.

   Martin

---

From: "Guyingjie (Yingjie)" <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 4 Jul 2012 01:23:10 +0000

Hi Martin and all,
The base protocol used to refer to draft-gu-alto-redistribution, and I am one of the authors, together with Richard and Roni. 
Is there any plan for the new dedicated redistribution draft, e.g. contributors and draft plan?

I am not very active in ALTO for sometime, so I maybe miss some discussion in the mail list on redistribution. 
Personally, I would suggest to awake the draft-gu-alto-redistribution, since there is many detail technical considerations for redistribution. Or at least we should take the Basic requirements and ALTO Redistribution Solutions Analysis to the new draft if there is any.

Best Regards
Gu Yingjie

-----邮件原件-----
发件人: [email-masked] [mailto:[email-masked]] 代表 Martin Stiemerling
发送时间: 2012年7月3日 乐乐21:20
收件人: Richard Alimi
抄送: [email-masked]
主题: Re: [alto] Way forward for the Resdistribution

   Martin

---

From: Martin Stiemerling <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 4 Jul 2012 15:50:17 +0200

Yingjie,

I had basically the same questions and it seems that Rich Alimi has
something in the pipe.

  Martin