Subject: [alto] draft-cai-nfvrg-recursive-monitor

From: Lyle Bertz <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 18 Jul 2016 03:56:28 -0500

All,

Am I off track here or can ALTO pick this up rather easily?

Link: https://tools.ietf.org/html/draft-cai-nfvrg-recursive-monitor-00

Lyle

---

From: "Vijay K. Gurbani" <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 18 Jul 2016 11:34:10 -0500

> Link: https://tools.ietf.org/html/draft-cai-nfvrg-recursive-monitor-00

Hmmm ... speaking as 1/2 the chair of course, there is certainly no
charter item against which ALTO can adopt this draft.  Process-wise, I
don't know off hand whether a WG can add a new deliverable without
re-chartering.

But the broader question is what prompted you to correlate the draft
with ALTO.  I could be missing something here, of course, but my quick
scanning of the draft seems that it is a bit orthogonal to ALTO.  But
as I said ... I may be missing something important.

- vijay
-- 
Vijay K. Gurbani, Bell Laboratories, Nokia Networks
1960 Lucent Lane, Rm. 9C-533, Naperville, Illinois 60563 (USA)
Email: [email-masked] / [email-masked]
Web: http://ect.bell-labs.com/who/vkg/  | Calendar: http://goo.gl/x3Ogq

---

From: Lyle Bertz <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 18 Jul 2016 11:38:11 -0500

Ah, my language in the original e-mail be would incorrect.  I was viewing
this as "Is this something ALTO can do easily so they may not have to".
The cost maps certainly make this easy if we can support the hierarchy in
some network map

Lyle

---

From: "Y. Richard Yang" <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 18 Jul 2016 16:36:50 -0400

Lyle, Vijay,

I read the draft quickly, and it sure is an interesting piece of work.

Let me start by understanding the context. To map into ALTO, we need to map
it into a client server architecture, and here is what I have:

- The (ALTO or another name) server has a set of ground facts. In a more
general setting, I see no need to be limited to the specific 3 (Sec. 5 BNF,
sub, node, link). Such a schema can be announced in ALTO IRD in
capabilities. The semantics should be defined in a document.

- I assume that the server can also predefine a set of predicates (aka
derived factors, database views) as well.

- The interface is that a client sends a query as a datalog program (btw,
the grammar in Sec. 5 appears to be only a subset of the examples in Sec.
7, which include ~, ==) to the server, who executes the program and returns
the result. I assume that the designers will argue that such a query
language is more general than SQL/XPATH.

This can be a major extension to ALTO, which uses essentially only simple
select (e.g., filtered services in ALTO) of an underlying (abstract)
network information database. Routing State Abstraction is going the
direction of trading computation at the server for better query,
abstraction results. Such a query language, if we build on top of ALTO, can
be quite interesting but will be a major extension.

Richard

On Mon, Jul 18, 2016 at 12:34 PM, Vijay K. Gurbani <
[email-masked]> wrote:

>> Link:
>> https://urldefense.proofpoint.com/v2/url?u=https-3A__tools.ietf.org_html_draft-2Dcai-2Dnfvrg-2Drecursive-2Dmonitor-2D00&d=CwICAg&c=-dg2m7zWuuDZ0MUcV7Sdqw&r=4G36iiEVb2m_v-0RnP2gx9KZJjYQgfvrOCE3789JGIA&m=46YuQ946RagfI5sboI-b-tEWqY6bJgdkCNnCA9oPJ7s&s=e_k_xhh8SEIIPxIbrdZH0RprASyhE-PwbbQuq09_RWs&e=
>>
>
> Web:
> https://urldefense.proofpoint.com/v2/url?u=http-3A__ect.bell-2Dlabs.com_who_vkg_&d=CwICAg&c=-dg2m7zWuuDZ0MUcV7Sdqw&r=4G36iiEVb2m_v-0RnP2gx9KZJjYQgfvrOCE3789JGIA&m=46YuQ946RagfI5sboI-b-tEWqY6bJgdkCNnCA9oPJ7s&s=pIyGVFETcsy0HunWMxU7NzI_Ye2eoOkDfHpHbcktDI4&e=
>  | Calendar:
> https://urldefense.proofpoint.com/v2/url?u=http-3A__goo.gl_x3Ogq&d=CwICAg&c=-dg2m7zWuuDZ0MUcV7Sdqw&r=4G36iiEVb2m_v-0RnP2gx9KZJjYQgfvrOCE3789JGIA&m=46YuQ946RagfI5sboI-b-tEWqY6bJgdkCNnCA9oPJ7s&s=dxs-VcSriMGSGg5_RDNp8AaEuj3mIJba-IbjWf0l6uk&e=
> _______________________________________________
> alto mailing list
> [email-masked]
>
> https://urldefense.proofpoint.com/v2/url?u=https-3A__www.ietf.org_mailman_listinfo_alto&d=CwICAg&c=-dg2m7zWuuDZ0MUcV7Sdqw&r=4G36iiEVb2m_v-0RnP2gx9KZJjYQgfvrOCE3789JGIA&m=46YuQ946RagfI5sboI-b-tEWqY6bJgdkCNnCA9oPJ7s&s=B6C13fyjgDaTvAGUidK_6N88RsBJI5uioPBjkzzGFVk&e=

-- 
-- 
 =====================================
| Y. Richard Yang <[email-masked]>   |
| Professor of Computer Science       |
| http://www.cs.yale.edu/~yry/        |
 =====================================