Subject: [alto] IPR disclosure on ietf-alto-alto-deployments

From: "Vijay K. Gurbani" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 5 Jul 2016 11:25:12 -0500

Folks: Pursuant to Mirja's email [1], Jan and I take this opportunity
to remind anyone on the list to respond with any concerns on moving
draft-ietf-alto-deployments forward.

It is imperative that the bounds of this discussion are understood
uniformly, and these are: There is no IPR being claimed against draft-
ietf-alto-deployments.  The draft simply appears as a reference in
patent applications.  Patent applications routinely include references
to other patents, academic papers, and standards documents.  However,
each such reference is not an IPR declaration.  In this particular
case, draft-ietf-alto-deployments is a general (informative) draft that
explains the use of ALTO in various scenarios, and has been used as a
reference in patent applications.  The draft itself is not suggesting
any specific method or processes that are subject to IPR.

Furthermore, in the particular case of draft-ietf-alto-deployments, the
authors of the patent applications in question have stated that the
draft itself is not subject to IPR protection and can proceed.

As such, the chairs and AD are of the opinion that the draft can
proceed.  Please let us know if you disagree and state your opinion on
the disagreement to the list.

Thanks,

[1] https://www.ietf.org/mail-archive/web/alto/current/msg03096.html

- vijay
-- 
Vijay K. Gurbani, Bell Laboratories, Nokia Networks
1960 Lucent Lane, Rm. 9C-533, Naperville, Illinois 60563 (USA)
Email: [email-masked] / [email-masked]
Web: http://ect.bell-labs.com/who/vkg/  | Calendar: http://goo.gl/x3Ogq