Subject: [altoext] [Fwd: New Version Notification for draft-randriamasy-alto-cost-schedule-00.txt]

From: Sabine Randriamasy <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 6 Mar 2012 19:15:49 +0100

Hi all,

We have submitted a new draft entitled ALTO Cost Schedule and proposing 
extensions on Cost Value specifications.
The idea is to provide cost values as a set of values each defined on a 
given time period, together with appropriate description attributes.
The main motivation is that current ALTO Costs and their modes provide 
static values, assuming to report on information that does not change 
rapidly. However the ALTO use cases now extend to CDNs, Data centers and 
non real time applications that deal with information changing rapidly. 
If this information can be predicted, applications or management systems 
usingf ALTO would be better off scheduling their access to content or 
resources. 
The other motivation of scheduled costs is the need to regulate the 
traffic through incentives: if ALTO provides an abstracted or aggregated 
form of dynamic information that is centrally managed (and readable), it 
helps preserving  network stability while keeping network state 
information confidential.  

Thanks in advance for your feedback,

Sabine

-------- Message original --------
Sujet : 	New Version Notification for 
draft-randriamasy-alto-cost-schedule-00.txt
Date : 	Tue, 6 Mar 2012 01:53:25 +0100
De : 	[email-masked] <[email-masked]>
Pour : 	RANDRIAMASY, SABINE (SABINE) 
<[email-masked]>
Copie à : 	Schwan, Nico (Nico) <[email-masked]>

A new version of I-D, draft-randriamasy-alto-cost-schedule-00.txt has been successfully submitted by Sabine Randriamasy and posted to the IETF repository.

Filename:	 draft-randriamasy-alto-cost-schedule
Revision:	 00
Title:		 ALTO Cost Schedule
Creation date:	 2012-03-05
WG ID:		 Individual Submission
Number of pages: 13

Abstract:
   The goal of Application-Layer Traffic Optimization (ALTO) is to
   bridge the gap between network and applications by provisioning
   network related information.  This allows applications to make
   informed decisions, for example when selecting a target host from a
   set of candidates.  The ALTO problem statement [RFC5693] considers
   typical applications as file sharing, real-time communication and
   live streaming peer-to-peer networks.  Recently other use cases
   focused on Content Distribution Networks and Data Centers have
   emerged [draft-jenkins-alto-cdn-use-cases-01].

   The present draft proposes to extend the cost information provided by
   the ALTO protocol.  The purpose is to broaden the decision
   possibilities of applications to not only decide &#39;where&#39; to connect
   to, but also &#39;when&#39; to connect.  This is useful to applications that
   have a degree of freedom on when to schedule data transfers, such as
   non-instantaneous data replication between data centers.  The draft
   therefore specifies a new cost mode, called the &quot;schedule&quot; mode.  In
   this mode the ALTO server offers cost maps that contain link ratings
   that are valid for a given timeframe (e.g. hourly) for a period of
   time (e.g. a day).  Besides the functional time-shift enhancement
   providing multi-timeframe cost values the extansion also allows the
   saving of a number of ALTO transactions and thus resources on the
   ALTO server and clients.

The IETF Secretariat

-- 

---------------------------------------------------------
Sabine RANDRIAMASY 
Alcatel-Lucent Bell Labs France 
Centre de Villarceau
Route de Villejust - 91620 NOZAY - FRANCE

E-MAIL : [email-masked]
TEL: +33 (0)1 30 77 27 45 
         (On Net) 2 103 27 45
---------------------------------------------------------