Subject: [altoext] BOF wiki

From: David Harrington <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 03 Mar 2012 08:53:30 -0500

Hi,

I am officially the Responsible area director for this BOF.
Since Martin will be my successor, and is expected to assume responsibility
for ALTO, CDNI, and my other Wgs, we plan to work together planning for the
BOF.

The IESG and IAB raised concerns that the altoext name and the description
of the BOF focused too much on the ALTO part of the BOF, and not enough on
gathering input from the CDN and data center communities about their
infrastructure-to-application information exposure requirements. I have
tried to better express that intention.

The IESG and IAB also raised concerns that the amount of time and room size
originally requested was inadequate if the CDN/Data Center communities were
more involved.

I updated the BOF name and acronym (hopefully in time for the printed
agendas).
I updated the description on the wiki, partly based on discussions on this
list, partly based on Responsible area director concerns that readers
understand the purpose of the BOF better.
I updated the wiki to reflect the Responsible area director(s).
The time and estimated attendes were increased.
I added the OPS Wgs to the primary conflict list, since some of the
information is already available through network management and OAM
protocols, and we especially want feedback from network operators.
This is the current wiki entry:
* Name: Infrastructure-to-application information exposure (i2aex)
* Description: A non-WG-forming BoF to investigate infrastructure-
to-application information exposure and communications requirements in fully
controlled (e.g., data centers) or partially controlled environments (e.g.
CDN). ALTO was designed to provide network infrastructure information to
applications that may not be under by the same administrative control as the
network. ALTO only reveals limited information about the network
infrastructure. By comparison, SNMP, IGP, BGP and other protocols that
monitor and manage infrastructure may reveal much more information, but are
typically only accessible to the operators of the network infrastructure.
CDNs and data center applications have some requirements to operate over the
Internet, possibly between administrative domains. ALTO was initially
designed to address peer-to-peer application requirements, but was designed
to be extensible. This BOF seeks input from the IETF community about whether
ALTO (with possible extensions) or other protocols might be most appropriate
to satisfy the information access requirements of CDN and Data Center
applications. As this is not a WG-forming BOF, but is an input-gathering
exercise, discussion of proposed work in this BOF should not lead to any
expectation that any specific proposed work will be authorized.
* Responsible AD: David Harrington (and Martin Stiemerling)
* BoF Chairs: TBD
* Expected attendance: 50-100
* Length of session: 90 minutes
* Conflicts to avoid: First priority: TSV WGs, OPS WGs, cuss, xmpp, appsawg
Second priority: IRTF RGs, rtgwg, and possibly, since he's the APP advisor,
Peter Saint-Andre's WGs (core, httpbis, bybi, iri, paws, umbis, vcarddav,
websec)
* WebEX: No
* I-Ds: draft-marocco-alto-next
<http://tools.ietf.org/html/draft-marocco-alto-next>
* Mail list:  [email-masked]
* Status: Approved
* 
Comments welcome.
--
David Harrington
Director, Transport Area
Internet Engineering Task Force (IETF)
[email-masked]
+1-603-828-1401