Subject: [ANCP] Comments on draft-maglione-ancp-mcast-00.txt

From: "Haag, T" <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 16 Jul 2007 16:33:08 +0200

All,

Operating Multicast in conjunction with conditional access is very
useful. But it is important to design such scenario in a less complex
way.

I think simplifying the message flow by adding local decision control in
the access node triggered by user authentication result archived by
NAS/RADIUS decision when starting a session can be a way out to solve
the estimated zapping performance issue, the complex maintenance issue
and decouples user session from DSL Port authentication.  

Operation/Performance:

>From an operational standpoint these features/message flows must be
simple and less complex in operation respectively maintenance and fault
location. Sending each event by joining a group an ANCP message from the
AN towards the NAS and receiving the policy decision implies to me a
very busy zapping scenario (section 5.2.)

Also with respect to operational complexity I have some concerns
regarding performance and maintenance. The main concern is regarding
three elements (RADIUS, NAS, AN) participating in the dynamic IGMP
triggered policy decision process. 

Authentication:

Running Start Accounting/ Stop Accounting can be done Port_ID related or
user related (see fig.4, fig.5). Both methods require different features
with respect to CPE/DSL/AN. Considering figure 6 implies to me that port
based authentication is required for running multicast. If not RADIUS
has to correlate between user ID and DSL Port ID.

In the document the reference is missing which authentication method the
use cases require. Is it user/session based or is it port based?

I think the draft can be reworked according the comments still meeting
basics of ANCP framework.

Regards,

Thomas

_______________________________________________
ANCP mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/ancp