Subject: Re: [ANCP] ANCP messages for Multicast query and report

From: "Aniruddha A (anira)" <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 6 Mar 2009 16:30:07 +0530

Hi All,

I propose the following new ANCP message to get all ports on AN for a 
given Multicast flow (S,G) :

- Request message from NAS to AN to get all the ports where a multicast
  flow is active.
  The Mandatory Active-Flow-Req TLV is followed by the Flow-ID TLV
  which identifies which flow we are interested in.

      0 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 0 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 0 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 0 1
     +-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+
     |        Type (0x88-0C)         |           Length              |
     +-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+
     | Vers  |  Sub  |MsgType=0x92   | Res   |        Code           |
     +-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+
     | Partition ID  |            Transaction Identifier             |
     +-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+
     |I|      SubMessage Number      |           Length              |
     +-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+
     |     ActiveFlowReq TLV =0x103  |    ActiveFlow-Length          |
     +-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+
     |  Mcast Flow ID TLV = 0x107    |S|   Mcast Flow ID-Length      |
     +-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+
     | AddrFamily    | EncType       |  Mcast source                 |
     +-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+
     | AddrFamily    | EncType       |  Mcast group                  |
     +-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+

- Report message from AN to NAS to send all the ports for a particular
flow.
  The report uses a new TLV - 0x108 
 
      0 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 0 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 0 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 0 1
     +-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+
     |        Type (0x88-0C)         |           Length              |
     +-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+
     | Vers  |  Sub  |MsgType=0x92    | Res   |        Code          |
     +-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+
     | Partition ID  |            Transaction Identifier             |
     +-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+
     |I|      SubMessage Number      |           Length              |
     +-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+
     |ActiveFlow Target Ports = 0x108|    ActiveFlow-Length          |
     +-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+
     |  Mcast Flow ID TLV = 0x107    |S|   Mcast Flow ID-Length      |
     +-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+
     | AddrFamily    | EncType       |  Mcast source                 |
     +-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+
     | AddrFamily    | EncType       |  Mcast group                  |
     +-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+

 Followed by one or more Target-Type TLV which identifies the port

     +-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+
     |     Target-type-TLV=0x1000    |   Target-TLV-Length           |
     +-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+
     |            ID type            |   Circuit ID Length           |
     +-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+
     |                                                               |
     ~                            Client-ID                          ~
     |                                                               |
     +-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+

--
Regards,
Aniruddha. A

-----Original Message-----
From: Maglione Roberta [mailto:[email-masked]] 
Sent: Thursday, February 05, 2009 9:19 PM
To: Aniruddha A (anira); [email-masked]
Subject: RE: ANCP messages for Multicast query and report

Hi Aniruddha,
        your proposal seems interesting to me, but I have a comment:
section 3.4.3 of the ancp-framework draft defines 3 different types of
reporting function:
- report for one Access Port;
- report for one multicast flow;
- a global report for one Access Node.

If my understanding is correct, your proposal addresses 1 and 3, do you
plan to extend it to cover also case 2?

Thanks and best regards.
Roberta

-----Original Message-----
From: [email-masked] [mailto:[email-masked]] On Behalf Of
Aniruddha A (anira)
Sent: Monday, January 12, 2009 6:46 PM
To: [email-masked]
Subject: [ANCP] ANCP messages for Multicast query and report

Hi all,

In the ANCP multicast extensions, there has to be a way
For the NAS to query the AN for the state of active multicast
flows on it.

We propose the following 2 new messages for this purpose:
-  Active-Flow Request
-  Active-Flow Report

The query from the NAS can be for all flows on the AN or
flows active on a single port. Message Type 0x92 is used.

Description and message formats:

  Active-Flow Request Message

   The Active Flow Request message is sent by the NAS to the AN to
   request multicast flow status on the AN.  The payload contains the
   following TLVs:

   o  The Active-Flow-Req TLV (0x103)
      A Mandatory TLV.

   o  The Target Type TLV.
      Optional TLV, if present, request is for a single port.

   On receiving the Active Flow Request message, the AN MUST respond
   with the Active Flow Report containing the requested information if
   the Multicast capability has been negotiated.  The format of the
   message is shown below:

      0 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 0 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 0 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 0 1
     +-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+
     |        Type (0x88-0C)         |           Length              |
     +-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+
     | Vers  |  Sub  |MsgType=0x92   | Res   |        Code           |
     +-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+
     | Partition ID  |            Transaction Identifier             |
     +-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+
     |I|      SubMessage Number      |           Length              |
     +-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+
     |     ActiveFlowReq TLV =0x103  |    ActiveFlow-Length          |
     +-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+
     |     Target-type-TLV=0x1000    |   Target-TLV-Length           |
     +-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+
     |            ID type            |   Circuit ID Length           |
     +-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+
     |                                                               |
     ~                            Client-ID                          ~
     |                                                               |
     +-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+

                                 Figure 1

  Active-Flow Report Message

   The Active Flow Report message is sent from the AN to the NAS in
   response to the Active Flow Request message.  Active Flow Report
   message contains information on the requested multicast flows.  The
   report can be for a single port, or all ports depending on the Target
   Type in the request.

   o Single Port Report

   If the Active Flow Request had a specific port (the presence of a
   Target Type TLV), the response has the following format:

      0 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 0 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 0 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 0 1
     +-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+
     |        Type (0x88-0C)         |           Length              |
     +-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+
     | Vers  |  Sub  |MsgType=0x92    | Res   |        Code          |
     +-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+
     | Partition ID  |            Transaction Identifier             |
     +-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+
     |I|      SubMessage Number      |           Length              |
     +-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+
     | ActiveFlowPortEntryTLV =0x105 |    ActiveFlow-Length          |
     +-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+
     |     Target-type-TLV=0x1000    |   Target-TLV-Length           |
     +-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+
     |            ID type            |   Circuit ID Length           |
     +-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+
     |                                                               |
     ~                            Client-ID                          ~
     |                                                               |
     +-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+

                                 Figure 2

   Followed by the Multicast Flow ID TLVs (0x107), one for each flow on
   the port.  The format of the Flow ID TLV is:

      0 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 0 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 0 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 0 1
     +-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+
     |  Mcast Flow ID TLV = 0x107    |S|  Mcast Flow ID-Length       |
     +-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+
     | AddrFamily    | EncType       |  Mcast source                 |
     +-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+
     | AddrFamily    | EncType       |  Mcast group                  |
     +-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+

                                 Figure 3

   S is the source flag, if set, multicast source address MUST be
   present (SSM).

  o  Report for all ports

   If the Active Flow Request did not specify a specific port (no Target
   Type TLV), the response will have the following format:

      0 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 0 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 0 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 0 1
     +-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+
     |        Type (0x88-0C)         |           Length              |
     +-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+
     | Vers  |  Sub  |MsgType=0x92   | Res   |        Code           |
     +-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+
     | Partition ID  |            Transaction Identifier             |
     +-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+
     |I|      SubMessage Number      |           Length              |
     +-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+
     |ActiveFlowMcastEntryTLV =0x104 |    ActiveFlow-Length          |
     +-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+
     |  Mcast Flow ID TLV = 0x107    |S|   Mcast Flow ID-Length      |
     +-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+
     | AddrFamily    | EncType       |  Mcast source                 |
     +-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+
     | AddrFamily    | EncType       |  Mcast group                  |
     +-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+

                                 Figure 4

   Followed by the Target Type TLV.

   A Multicast Entry TLV (0x104) determines the (flow, port), therefore
   it will have a Flow ID TLV and a Target-Type TLV as its sub TLVs, and
   there will be as many Multicast Entry TLVs as the number of flows on
   the AN.

We have an implementation running with these message types.
--
Regards,
Aniruddha. A
_______________________________________________
ANCP mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/ancp

Questo messaggio e i suoi allegati sono indirizzati esclusivamente alle
persone indicate. La diffusione, copia o qualsiasi altra azione
derivante dalla conoscenza di queste informazioni sono rigorosamente
vietate. Qualora abbiate ricevuto questo documento per errore siete
cortesemente pregati di darne immediata comunicazione al mittente e di
provvedere alla sua distruzione, Grazie.

This e-mail and any attachments is confidential and may contain
privileged information intended for the addressee(s) only.
Dissemination, copying, printing or use by anybody else is unauthorised.
If you are not the intended recipient, please delete this message and
any attachments and advise the sender by return e-mail, Thanks.

---

From: "BOCCI Matthew" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 31 Mar 2009 17:51:37 +0200

This was discussed in San Francisco, and there seemed to be agreement in
principle, but we would appreciate feedback on this proposal on the list
from the WG.

Matthew

> From: [email-masked] [mailto:[email-masked]] On 
> Behalf Of Aniruddha A (anira)
> Sent: 06 March 2009 11:00
> To: [email-masked]
> Subject: Re: [ANCP] ANCP messages for Multicast query and report
> 
> 
>  
> Hi All,
> 
> I propose the following new ANCP message to get all ports on 
> AN for a given Multicast flow (S,G) :
> 
> - Report message from AN to NAS to send all the ports for a 
> particular flow.
> section 3.4.3 of the ancp-framework draft defines 3 different 
> types of reporting function:
> If my understanding is correct, your proposal addresses 1 and 
> 3, do you plan to extend it to cover also case 2?
> 
> Thanks and best regards.
> Roberta
> 
> From: [email-masked] [mailto:[email-masked]] On 
> Behalf Of Aniruddha A (anira)
> In the ANCP multicast extensions, there has to be a way For 
> the NAS to query the AN for the state of active multicast flows on it.
> 
> Questo messaggio e i suoi allegati sono indirizzati 
> esclusivamente alle persone indicate. La diffusione, copia o 
> qualsiasi altra azione derivante dalla conoscenza di queste 
> informazioni sono rigorosamente vietate. Qualora abbiate 
> ricevuto questo documento per errore siete cortesemente 
> pregati di darne immediata comunicazione al mittente e di 
> This e-mail and any attachments is confidential and may 
> contain privileged information intended for the addressee(s) only.
> If you are not the intended recipient, please delete this 
> message and any attachments and advise the sender by return 
> e-mail, Thanks.
>