Subject: [ANCP] Two more base protocol issues

From: Tom Taylor <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 02 Jul 2010 22:01:41 -0400

There is normative text on Transaction IDs in section 5.4.5 of the -09 version 
of the base protocol specification. The last sentence of the paragraph 
beginning: "In the new message paradigm ..." manages to raise two different 
issues. The sentence reads:

   "In the event of an ANCP transport protocol failure,
    all pending ANCP messages destined to the disconnected recipient can
    be discarded until the transport is re- established following which
    the Transaction Identifier is re- initialized."

Issue 1: what normative level is implied by "can be discarded": MAY, SHOULD,
or MUST?

Issue 2: if Transaction IDs are re-initialized, to what value are they re-in 
itialized?

Tom Taylor

---

From: Wojciech Dec <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 06 Jul 2010 12:13:26 +0200

(Co-Chair hat off)

> Issue 1: what normative level is implied by "can be discarded": MAY, SHOULD,

SHOULD. Given that a fair bit of messages require stateful behavior, and
that we have no ANCP data-base versioning, discarding should be the current
behaviour.

> Issue 2: if Transaction IDs are re-initialized, to what value are they re-in

Around the time of the multicast extensions design team we had a fair bit of
discussion about transaction id's in general. From what I recall, the
compromise was that transaction id's were to be always set to 0x0000 when
not used, and (re)initialized to a random value in the range 0x0001 - 0xffff
range.

-Woj.

> 
> Tom Taylor
> _______________________________________________
> ANCP mailing list
> [email-masked]
> https://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/ancp