Subject: [ANCP] RFC 6320 on Protocol for Access Node Control Mechanism in Broadband Networks

From: [email-masked]
Date: Wed, 5 Oct 2011 17:18:21 -0700 (PDT)

A new Request for Comments is now available in online RFC libraries.

        RFC 6320

        Title:      Protocol for Access Node Control 
                    Mechanism in Broadband Networks 
        Author:     S. Wadhwa, J. Moisand,
                    T. Haag, N. Voigt,
                    T. Taylor, Ed.
        Status:     Standards Track
        Stream:     IETF
        Date:       October 2011
        Mailbox:    [email-masked], 
                    [email-masked], 
                    [email-masked],  [email-masked], 
                    [email-masked]
        Pages:      82
        Characters: 178446
        Updates/Obsoletes/SeeAlso:   None

        I-D Tag:    draft-ietf-ancp-protocol-17.txt

        URL:        http://www.rfc-editor.org/rfc/rfc6320.txt

This document describes the Access Node Control Protocol (ANCP).
ANCP operates between a Network Access Server (NAS) and an Access
Node (e.g., a Digital Subscriber Line Access Multiplexer (DSLAM)) in
a multi-service reference architecture in order to perform operations
related to Quality of Service, service, and subscribers.  Use cases
for ANCP are documented in RFC 5851.  As well as describing the base
ANCP protocol, this document specifies capabilities for Digital
Subscriber Line (DSL) topology discovery, line configuration, and
remote line connectivity testing.  The design of ANCP allows for
protocol extensions in other documents if they are needed to support
other use cases and other access technologies.

ANCP is based on the General Switch Management Protocol version 3
(GSMPv3) described in RFC 3292, but with many modifications and
extensions, to the point that the two protocols are not
interoperable.  For this reason, ANCP was assigned a separate version
number to distinguish it.  [STANDARDS-TRACK]

This document is a product of the Access Node Control Protocol Working Group of the IETF.

This is now a Proposed Standard Protocol.

STANDARDS TRACK: This document specifies an Internet standards track
protocol for the Internet community,and requests discussion and suggestions
for improvements.  Please refer to the current edition of the Internet
Official Protocol Standards (STD 1) for the standardization state and
status of this protocol.  Distribution of this memo is unlimited.

This announcement is sent to the IETF-Announce and rfc-dist lists.
To subscribe or unsubscribe, see
  http://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/ietf-announce
  http://mailman.rfc-editor.org/mailman/listinfo/rfc-dist

For searching the RFC series, see http://www.rfc-editor.org/rfcsearch.html.
For downloading RFCs, see http://www.rfc-editor.org/rfc.html.

Requests for special distribution should be addressed to either the
author of the RFC in question, or to [email-masked].  Unless
specifically noted otherwise on the RFC itself, all RFCs are for
unlimited distribution.

The RFC Editor Team
Association Management Solutions, LLC