Subject: [Anima] Pete Resnick's No Objection on charter-ietf-anima-00-17: (with COMMENT)

From: "Pete Resnick" <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 30 Oct 2014 07:49:19 -0700

Pete Resnick has entered the following ballot position for
charter-ietf-anima-00-17: No Objection

When responding, please keep the subject line intact and reply to all
email addresses included in the To and CC lines. (Feel free to cut this
introductory paragraph, however.)

The document, along with other ballot positions, can be found here:
http://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/charter-ietf-anima/

----------------------------------------------------------------------
COMMENT:
----------------------------------------------------------------------

I'm sad that two of my comments on the previously reviewed charter were
ignored, especially when Brian said that he was going to make changes:

1st paragraph:

   An autonomic function works in a distributed way across various
   network elements, but allowing central guidance and reporting, and
   co-existence with non-autonomic methods of management.

Do all autonomic functions work distributed? I'm not sure what this
means.

Brian's response: "If they aren't distributed, they just aren't
candidates for protocol work. I think the logic of this sentence needs
adjustment."

9th paragraph:

   Definition of a discovery functionality for autonomic functions

I don't understand what that means. By "functionality" do you mean
protocol?

Brian's response: "Definition of a discovery protocol for autonomic
nodes."

---

From: Brian E Carpenter <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 31 Oct 2014 07:55:52 +1300

On 31/10/2014 05:16, Benoit Claise wrote:
> On 30/10/2014 15:49, Pete Resnick wrote:
> What is your proposal for this?
> Please send it to everybody in the initial email.

I suggest:

An autonomic function that works in a distributed way across various
network elements is a candidate for protocol design. Such functions
should allow central guidance and reporting, and co-existence with
non-autonomic methods of management.

(Sorry, Pete, your two comments got lost in a rush of other
pre-cutoff issues. I assume Benoit will put both of them in now.)

   Brian

> Regards, Benoit
>> .

---

From: Benoit Claise <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 31 Oct 2014 13:17:35 +0100

Pete,
> Brian's response: "Definition of a discovery protocol for autonomic
After some more investigation, this was discussed in 
http://www.ietf.org/mail-archive/web/anima/current/msg00454.html,

    1) the choice of the term "functionality" instead of "protocol" was
    used on purpose as to avoid choosing _a priori_ the (de)composition
    in protocol(s). i.e. one _a posteriori_ / informed decision will be
    how to "group" the different functionality in one or more protocols
    (or extension of existing ones).

I thought that Laurent had a valid argument.

Regards, Benoit

---

From: Benoit Claise <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 31 Oct 2014 13:18:02 +0100

> non-autonomic methods of management.
Introduced in the latest charter version.

Regards, Benoit

---

From: Pete Resnick <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 31 Oct 2014 09:16:47 -0700

On 10/31/14 5:17 AM, Benoit Claise wrote:
>     1) the choice of the term "functionality" instead of "protocol"
>     was used on purpose as to avoid choosing _a priori_ the
>     (de)composition in protocol(s). i.e. one _a posteriori_ / informed
>     decision will be how to "group" the different functionality in one
>     or more protocols (or extension of existing ones).
>

Then let's take a shot at rewriting it so that it's clear what the 
intention is:

    The goal of this working group shall be to develop one or more
    protocol specifications (or extensions to existing protocols) to
    address the following problem areas. These were selected to according
    to the analyzed technical gaps in draft-irtf-nmrg-an-gap-analysis:

    o Discovery for autonomic nodes

    o Negotiation for autonomic nodes
       Starting point: draft-jiang-config-negotiation-protocol

    o Bootstrapping a trust infrastructure
       Starting point: draft-pritikin-bootstrapping-keyinfrastructures

    o Separated Autonomic Control Plane
       Starting point: draft-behringer-autonomic-control-plane

pr

-- 
Pete Resnick<http://www.qualcomm.com/~presnick/>
Qualcomm Technologies, Inc. - +1 (858)651-4478

---

From: Brian E Carpenter <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 01 Nov 2014 08:15:56 +1300

>       Starting point: draft-behringer-autonomic-control-plane

No objections.

We could do these updates too now:
s/draft-jiang-config-negotiation-protocol/draft-carpenter-anima-gdn-protocol/
s/draft-behringer-autonomic-control-plane/draft-behringer-anima-autonomic-control-plane/

   Brian