Subject: [Anima] Discus: address stats text: draft-behringer-anima-autonomic-addressing-01.txt

From: Toerless Eckert <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 17 Aug 2015 03:00:59 -0700

I think the following might be good text for the addressing draft:

The address format proposes to use a hash of the domain name of the
autonomic network as the primary prefix of the address (40 bit). The
assumption is that the domain name used is unique across all
non-maliciously formed autonomic networks. This leads to the
following statistics using the common approximation

p(n,d) = 1 - e^(-n^2/2d)

Where n is 2^40, d is the number of autonomic networks considered,
and p(n,d) is the probability that at least two of the n autonomic
networks will have the same domain prefix (aka: unwanted collision).

If a highly "successfull" cooperation has to deal merging 100 daughter
companies that assigned their domain-name and prefix independently,
p(100,d) < 10e-7. The format is therefore more than sufficient to
ensure a limited number of random autonomic networks to be reachable
from a single location without address conflict.

If 1000 eg: research organizations wanted to give ACP access to a
common NOC, this would still lead to p(1000,d) < 10e-5 probability
of ACP addressing conflict.

If 1,000,000 networks would run their own ACP, and all where
to be interconnected, the probability of address conflict would be
60%. The addressing format is therefore clearly meant to primarily
be used in isolated network with above examples of potentially
beneficial interconnections giving an outline what could be feasible.

Any group of proactively planned autonomic networks that
are required to be reachable from a single point are also capable
of creating their own private registry of domain names used and
allocing new ones such that they will not collide with
existing ones. Example:

Actual unique  domain names      Domain names used in AN
    domain1.com                  domain1.com
    domain2.com                  domain2.com
    domainN.com                  domainN.com.123

Aka: any scheme of moidfying the domain used in AN to make
it unique vs. existing domain hashes in the group of considered 
autonomic network.